Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I was thinking of getting an NGK Iridium spark plug for my CR250.
Anyone use these? Is it just b.s. or is there a difference between these and the standard BR8 plug?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Peer, another guy on the net with a KX500, who is a serious racer (bigtime) switched to Iridium plugs last year, as I recall. His initial report was that that it worked great (I won't get into specifics as I'm not sure some of the claims were valid)...got the sense that he liked them better than a BR8EG. However, a month later, he said these things had definitely shorter halflives c/t the stock. BUT, it's not clear that the plug just wasn't too hot and that he didn't adjust for that. Difficult to say.

In general, though--simple ignition modifications will never make more power. And NGK themselves will tell you that there is no HP difference b/t any of their plugs or even after changing from a worn out one to a new one (1-5% or so).

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I used to have a 93 Rm250 and after putting in the Iridium plug I noticed that the engine had better throttle response and seemed to rev quicker but 2 hours later it was dead. It was badass for a few hours. I put standard plug back in and it lasted 6 months. I haven't tried them in my new bike but I probably won't because of that exp.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I have ran one in my '03 CR for about 6 months now and havent had to change it. No performance difference in my opinion. My cousin on the other hand has an '01 CR and was fouling plugs because he did not want to re-jet. He has had his Iridium plug in his bike for close to a year now and it hasnt fouled.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i have tried them br8ix......it seemed no different than putting in a brand new br8eg,just like all new plugs seems to run better than the old one! although it probably is just my imagination but the plug did seem to tolerate low speed riding better....but then again it could be me just hoping that the $10 plug i just bought was not a waist! i was probably just imagining things lol .

i still am sure that a changing your $2.50 plug 4 times as often as your $10 plug will be better way to spend your money on spark plugs

elf

Jun 7, 2003
250aderacer said:
i have used ngk eg,ev,egv and iridium plugs and never noticed any difference in any of them.

Same here. The only time I have noticed any performance difference in plugs is when changing the heat range. Although the more expensive ones seem to resist fouling a little better.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I use them in my KX, I will agree with the resistance to fouling, They seem to last longer for me and a respected Kawasaki guru that I know recomended useing them for that reason. Otherwise I really did not see a performance difference, just maybe a longevidy difference.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Hmm. My BR9EIX's have fouled much quicker than my BR9EGs that I ran. But I now run BR8EGs. I stopped using the EIX's all together, because there was no difference to sacrifice the price difference. I can get the EG's for 3.50$ and the EIX's go for 9.00$

Top Bottom