Is push starting the bike bad for the transmission?

Discussion in 'Bike Mods, Performance, Maintenance & Repair' started by thouston1111, Jan 18, 2006.

1. thouston1111

thouston1111 Rookie DRN Member

i just got a 97 honda cr 80, not really used to clutch, i had a quad but i just shifted with my foot there was no clutch, so the bike is kinda new, but going into first i bog out alot, i know you have to practice to get it but im kinda of un patients, so i push sttart it in first gear cause im kinda un pateint, is that bad for the bike?

2. Sub

Sub Rookie DRN Member

It won't hurt the bike, but i recomend bumping it into 2nd gear not first. It will start easier that way. I bump start my bike all the time if I'm on a hill.
  3. FruDaddy

FruDaddy Rookie DRN Member

Last weekend, I spent about 5 minutes explaining how to operate a clutch to my 10 year old daughter. Sure, there were a couple of stalls, but she got it. Just work on starts for 5-10 minutes per day for about a week and save yourself the hassle of pushing our bike up a hill so you can start it.
  4. cookiemuncher

cookiemuncher Rookie DRN Member

it's not bad for the bike, like the other guy said don't do it in first, do it in second or third, the motor has to spins at a higher rpm in first for a given speed so it's harder to do and easier to lock up the rear tire.
  5. nickyd

nickyd Rookie DRN Member

its not bad for the bike but damn dude, a clutch isn't that hard to operate
  6. TimberPig

TimberPig Rookie DRN Member

If you do it enough, it will eventually cause some wear and damage, but in the short term it will be fine. Learning to use the clutch will benefit your riding in the long run more, so as was mentioned, practicing using it to take off is worth some time spent on it.
  7. Someone

Someone Rookie DRN Member

I think the bottom end is under much more stress when the bike is running, in gear and accelerating versus a simple bump start. Shouldn't hurt it at all.
  8. Agitator

Agitator Rookie DRN Member

IF you wanna' learn the clutch, and you're bogging/stalling, just let it out AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE, so you can barely see the lever move (have low-moderate throttle)... in like five tries, you'll get the hang of it... just go REAL slow...

Good luck man~
  9. ellandoh

ellandoh dismount art student Mi. Trail Riders

if you begin bump starting it repeatedly for 8 hours a day you will have gray hair before you wear anything out but yourself
  10. clash365

clash365 Rookie DRN Member

yes it will hurt it because you need to let the bike warm up be for you take off on it let the oil get on the topend of the cluch
  11. ellandoh

ellandoh dismount art student Mi. Trail Riders

wrong
  12. JST122

JST122 Rookie DRN Member

Just take 30 minutes and practice starts, and then you wont have to worry about this issue anyway because you will know how to use the clutch. Stall it a few times and before you know it you will have the feel.
  13. Agitator

Agitator Rookie DRN Member

14. MONKEYMOUSE

MONKEYMOUSE Subscriber

I love when people chime in with ridicules answers lol. First there is no "top end of the clutch" second its a 2 stroke the oils in the gass for the top end and third the clutch is always saturated in oil, your answer now matter how interpreted is wrong lol sorry. No it wont hurt a thing but urself from pushing it.
  15. Someone

I think he meant that since the bike isn't warmed up, it *could* do damage by bumping it cold, then taking off without properly warming up the bike.
  16. MONKEYMOUSE

MONKEYMOUSE Subscriber

Well yes ripping a cold bike no matter how its started isn't wise but he was asking if bumping a bike is bad, there for why would he be talking about ridding a cold bike? He also said that it was bad to bump the bike because it wasn't warmed up yet, that's irrelevant. But any who it doesn't matter just a simple mistake/ misunderstanding between people.
  17. OldTimer

OldTimer Rookie DRN Member

When I was teaching my son to start off using the clutch, I told him to try to go about two feet and then stop. It helps avoid that last second clutch lever release. It really works like a charm. Just ease out on the clutch until the bike starts to move, then pull it back in and stop. Do this about five or six times (it only takes a few seconds). And you'll get the hang of it almost right away. Even now, when I see him getting a little quick on the clutch, I have him do this two or three times and, voila, back to normal.
    Try it!
  18. kwiktsi

kwiktsi Rookie DRN Member

I think that is the point- the guy is trying to push start the bike and just take off from a roll to avoid using the clutch. If he just pushes it and takes off, I'm sure he'll be riding it cold also which, obviously, isn't good for the top end at all. Learn to use the cluth, it's not hard at all with a little practice. I think it took me a day to learn without stalling or anything waayy back when I was 7. This could be a safety issue also- if you are too impatient to even learn to use the clutch, how good are your actual riding skills? I dunno, maybe it's because I'm older now, but I feel if you don't want to take the time to learn something properly- especially something that could hurt you- don't do it at all.
    Joe
  19. Someone

You quoted the person saying it was a dumb response, and he was talking about bumping a COLD bike, now you're agreeing with it. ;)
  20. tracetrimble

tracetrimble Rookie DRN Member

I recommend learning to clutch, and spending more time in English class. :p It will start easier in 2nd if you do bump start it, and it won't hurt anything in the tranny.