Is push starting the bike bad for the transmission?

thouston1111

Jan 18, 2006
i just got a 97 honda cr 80, not really used to clutch, i had a quad but i just shifted with my foot there was no clutch, so the bike is kinda new, but going into first i bog out alot, i know you have to practice to get it but im kinda of un patients, so i push sttart it in first gear cause im kinda un pateint, is that bad for the bike?

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
It won't hurt the bike, but i recomend bumping it into 2nd gear not first. It will start easier that way. I bump start my bike all the time if I'm on a hill.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Last weekend, I spent about 5 minutes explaining how to operate a clutch to my 10 year old daughter. Sure, there were a couple of stalls, but she got it. Just work on starts for 5-10 minutes per day for about a week and save yourself the hassle of pushing our bike up a hill so you can start it.

cookiemuncher

Jan 19, 2006
it's not bad for the bike, like the other guy said don't do it in first, do it in second or third, the motor has to spins at a higher rpm in first for a given speed so it's harder to do and easier to lock up the rear tire.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
If you do it enough, it will eventually cause some wear and damage, but in the short term it will be fine. Learning to use the clutch will benefit your riding in the long run more, so as was mentioned, practicing using it to take off is worth some time spent on it.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I think the bottom end is under much more stress when the bike is running, in gear and accelerating versus a simple bump start. Shouldn't hurt it at all.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
IF you wanna' learn the clutch, and you're bogging/stalling, just let it out AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE, so you can barely see the lever move (have low-moderate throttle)... in like five tries, you'll get the hang of it... just go REAL slow...

Good luck man~

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if you begin bump starting it repeatedly for 8 hours a day you will have gray hair before you wear anything out but yourself

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
clash365 said:
yes it will hurt it because you need to let the bike warm up be for you take off on it let the oil get on the topend of the cluch

wrong

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Just take 30 minutes and practice starts, and then you wont have to worry about this issue anyway because you will know how to use the clutch. Stall it a few times and before you know it you will have the feel.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
clash365 said:
yes it will hurt it because you need to let the bike warm up be for you take off on it let the oil get on the topend of the cluch

I love when people chime in with ridicules answers lol. First there is no "top end of the clutch" second its a 2 stroke the oils in the gass for the top end and third the clutch is always saturated in oil, your answer now matter how interpreted is wrong lol sorry. No it wont hurt a thing but urself from pushing it.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I think he meant that since the bike isn't warmed up, it *could* do damage by bumping it cold, then taking off without properly warming up the bike.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well yes ripping a cold bike no matter how its started isn't wise but he was asking if bumping a bike is bad, there for why would he be talking about ridding a cold bike? He also said that it was bad to bump the bike because it wasn't warmed up yet, that's irrelevant. But any who it doesn't matter just a simple mistake/ misunderstanding between people.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
When I was teaching my son to start off using the clutch, I told him to try to go about two feet and then stop. It helps avoid that last second clutch lever release. It really works like a charm. Just ease out on the clutch until the bike starts to move, then pull it back in and stop. Do this about five or six times (it only takes a few seconds). And you'll get the hang of it almost right away. Even now, when I see him getting a little quick on the clutch, I have him do this two or three times and, voila, back to normal.
Try it!

kwiktsi

Jan 20, 2006
MONKEYMOUSE said:
Well yes ripping a cold bike no matter how its started isn't wise but he was asking if bumping a bike is bad, there for why would he be talking about ridding a cold bike? He also said that it was bad to bump the bike because it wasn't warmed up yet, that's irrelevant. But any who it doesn't matter just a simple mistake/ misunderstanding between people.

I think that is the point- the guy is trying to push start the bike and just take off from a roll to avoid using the clutch. If he just pushes it and takes off, I'm sure he'll be riding it cold also which, obviously, isn't good for the top end at all. Learn to use the cluth, it's not hard at all with a little practice. I think it took me a day to learn without stalling or anything waayy back when I was 7. This could be a safety issue also- if you are too impatient to even learn to use the clutch, how good are your actual riding skills? I dunno, maybe it's because I'm older now, but I feel if you don't want to take the time to learn something properly- especially something that could hurt you- don't do it at all.
Joe

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
MONKEYMOUSE said:

You quoted the person saying it was a dumb response, and he was talking about bumping a COLD bike, now you're agreeing with it. ;)

tracetrimble

Oct 20, 2005
I recommend learning to clutch, and spending more time in English class. :p It will start easier in 2nd if you do bump start it, and it won't hurt anything in the tranny.

bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
OldTimer said:
When I was teaching my son to start off using the clutch, I told him to try to go about two feet and then stop. It helps avoid that last second clutch lever release. It really works like a charm. Just ease out on the clutch until the bike starts to move, then pull it back in and stop. Do this about five or six times (it only takes a few seconds). And you'll get the hang of it almost right away. Even now, when I see him getting a little quick on the clutch, I have him do this two or three times and, voila, back to normal.
Try it!

my dad tolled me to do the same thing and it works great i was having troubles of letting the clutch out to fast

flattie

May 19, 2005
Someone said:
I think he meant that since the bike isn't warmed up, it *could* do damage by bumping it cold, then taking off without properly warming up the bike.

so i quess you shouldnt start your bike tell it warms up either????? hahahahahahahaha, when you kick start it or roll start it everything in there is cold dosent matter which way you do it. lol

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
flattie said:
so i quess you shouldnt start your bike tell it warms up either????? hahahahahahahaha, when you kick start it or roll start it everything in there is cold dosent matter which way you do it. lol

You're going to have to start it one way or another, what you do after that is what matters. If you fire it up and just take off, you are doing engine damage and it will likely not last long. The idea is to start it up, let it warm up, and then take off to allow the engine parts to warm up fully before hammering on the bike.

Any way you look at it, the solution to his problem is to learn to use the clutch, rather than having to rely upon pushing the bike and hopping on, whether the engine is started with the kickstarter, or bump started using the transmission. It should not be bumpstarted or kickstarted cold without allowing the engine to properly warm up first before riding it.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i pushed my KDX up a hill down the road a ways then hopped on it and jumped it only because it wouldnt start with the kick starter or you can get someone to pull you. when my dad was home like on weekends we used our 1950 ferguson tractor 4 speed standard, and found out that it started the bike nice in 3rd close to WOT in a field. and i totally agree with the above post. i got a brand new kickstarter for my KDX (which was about 180.00 CDN like 138.00 US since i bought from the states, well my dad got it for me as my bday present) anyhoo...... ya i replaced that so i didnt have to bump start it, and the throttle cable snapped then like 2 minutes later the kickstart shaft snapped in half. dont run a bike until it has warmed up completely. i usually put on my gear, go out fire up the bike and let it sit there while i get my helmet and crap on, then go for a rip around my field a couple of times just in case something breaks im close to the house/shop and im not up the mt underneath it by myself.

Last edited:

Top Bottom