Is the GasGas worth $800 more than the KTM?

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
I have been searching the net for the past week looking for info on GasGas motorcycles. Everything I've read has been very positive. There is a dealer about a hour away who is going to let me ride a '00 EC250 this Sunday. He is asking $6100 for a '01 XC250 which will be in this month. But, I found a KTM dealer in California that is selling 250EXC's for $5299. Has anyone ridden both of these or similar models and what would justify the higher cost of the GasGas. Thanks in advance for any replies.

LawManNv

------------------
'00 KDX200

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
$800 will buy a lot of Beer!
smile.gif

Cameron

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
this has been asked tons on here, I think the real main differences are that the Gasgas has a smoother motor over the ktm. Does have slightly sharper handling. And the hydrualic clutch isn't as stiff. ktm is mass produced, the gasgas is hand built. Either bike your gonna love, the gasgas is just alittle more friendly.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Mr. WR will beat me up for this, but here goes. Not just NO, but HELL NO!

Lawman NV - are you aware that KTM has a financing plan available 3/1 - 8/31 that allows no down payment no interest for 3 months?

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 03-02-2001).]

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
If it fits you better and gives you more confidence, YES. I've owned KTMs, but could never get comfortable enough on them. The GG fits me like a glove. If you're under 6', you will probably like the GG frame ergonomics better. They also steer faster and have better stability(no headshake) at the same time. I speak from experience in east coast riding, but for desert use in NV I can't comment.

Both bikes have their quirks. The GG appears slightly rougher on the surface because its hand made in smaller quantities, but materials are top notch and the bikes are very fast, smooth, and reliable. Even though the GasGas is more $$, the parts are generally cheaper than KTM, for some items almost half the cost.

Try to test ride each in your terrain if you can. There is no bad choice.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Is this an apples-to-apples comparison? If you're comparing the same model years, you should investigate whether the quoted prices are all-in, i.e. do both prices include or exclude freight, bike prep, taxes, registration (if necessary), etc.

------------------
John S.
'99 KTM 300EXC
'93 Kawasaki KLX650-C
www.geocities.com/aa21830

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
LawMnNv,
If your looking for a 300 give Dan @Modesto GasGas a call. He has a 300 sitting on the floor. If your looking at that 00 EC250 in Tahoe, I hear that bike has about 5 hours on it and IS VERY CLEAN.
If you have not called Jim @ Smackover then you need to do so! Talk to Jim and see what kind of a deal you can workout with shipping included.

I am totally happy with my GasGas. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat! In fact I'm looking for an 01 125!

Strick, no worries we all have brain farts now and then
tongue.gif

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

RBW

Jun 16, 2000
Consider that the GasGas comes stock with an FMF Gnarly pipe and Spark arrestor or silencer, Olins shock, Boysen rad valve, six speed transmission and quality handlebars.Not to mention all the people who will want to talk to you about the bike every time you go out.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
KTM comes with quality chrome pipe, spark arrestor linkless PDS, quality rads, quality handlebars with 4 positions, clear tank and almost everytime I venture out someone wants to know how I like it.
wink.gif

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook atMy Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 03-02-2001).]

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
OK Time to put the boxing gloves on
wink.gif

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by Offroadr:
OK Time to put the boxing gloves on
wink.gif

Yup. To add fuel to the fire... orange is much cooler than red. Red is just so... so... Honda. And yellow is, well you know.
tongue.gif

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

[This message has been edited by *william* (edited 03-02-2001).]

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
*william*

Ahh, yes, you recently jump ship from the yellow bike to an orange bike...... Congrads

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Kali -- You go girl!! (and Gas Gas doesn't have your initials)
eek.gif

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
Feel a Gasgas clutch then a KTM clutch side by side and you tell me who is trying to buld the more user friendly bike. PS My gasgas has a horn so I dont have to YELL anymore

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've been trying to get up to speed on this since I plan on a new ride next year. I'm 5'11" 195lbs slow class B. (should be c but like long course). Are the bars on the Gas Gas good as they say? Do you need to put Protapers on it? Besides Radiator gaurds, pipe gaurds, hand gaurds, damper are there any thing else that you need on the thing. Are there any major changes that would make a 2001 better than a 2000? Am I wrong for thinking about an XC when I ride the BJEC and the TSCEC? They are totally different types of terrain with Texas being more open and BJEC being rockier tighter.

BenjaminPQ

Spammer
Jan 4, 2001
I spent many hours researching all the popular enduro bikes. I'm going to look at a KTM 300mxc tomorrow. It seems that nothing can beat a KTM.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BenjaminPQ (edited 03-03-2001).]

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
We shouldn't complain too much about Gas Gas. They do make a better Honda
wink.gif

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook atMy Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

HUSABERG 501

Aug 5, 2000
Originally posted by kalitude:
Nope, not doin' it! I decided that the 250 thumper is the one for me, and I will probably be just about ready for it by the time I can buy one
smile.gif
I wonder if I could get orange plastic for my TTR in the meantime...?

I pretty much have Kevin talked into the 400exc as well - just a little bit of "it's like the Yamaha thumper but with 400cc's and a button!" (amongst many other things that are better than the Yamaha of course!)
wink.gif
I did have to mention that he could get black plastic for it though...traitor!

You mean your going to abandon the Husaberg camp? I don't belive I'm reading such trechory! Talk your boyfriend into and FE 400, the prices are vary comparible now.I rode my FC470 for the first time yesterday around the yard. The 501 is like a Viper powerful, torquey,and the 470 is a Ferrari smooth silky hardly any vibrations! Turned so well I almost dumped it in the yard! I didn't expect it to turn that well. If there was no swedish beast to buy then I'd say with out a doubt go orange. Yet I can't help be reminded,if it weren't for the swedes would the orange 4 strokes be that good? I DON'T THINK SO! Just something to think about. Have a nice day
smile.gif

------------------
I am altering the deal,pray I don't alter it any further!
01 FC 470 BERG
97 FC 501 BERG
86 ATC 350X HONDA

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
I got to ride a '00 GasGas EC250 today. To say the least I was pretty impressed. The bike felt light and turned very quick. The motor was very easy to control also. It had a little more power on the bottom than my KDX but the power kept building into a strong mid and top end. By far the biggest improvement over my KDX was the suspension. It was light years better. Overall the build quality was good and the bike felt very solid.

As for the "great" price on the KTM I found, the add failed to mention the $400 set up and delivery. The GasGas dealer is getting the bike in this month and it will be a XC250 model with the EC engine. He is also selling the model I rode today which was very clean for $5400. The KTM 300MXC is still cheaper but I've got a tough choice as to which I like better.

LawManNv

------------------
'00 KDX200

[This message has been edited by LawManNv (edited 03-04-2001).]

Mudshark

Jul 26, 2000
It's easy to tell some of the people that post here have never ridden a Gas Gas.Unless you think head shake and ugly orange color are cool (how many orange pants do you own?)I also think 250.00 is a little high for a piston! Ride and compare!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom