exbike

Jan 29, 2006
Thanks to all the good information on this list, I've rebuilt my 2001 220R moneypit and the thing runs! I took it out to Carnegie (CA) last weekend and the thing kicks ass!

Yes, I'm an idiot for buying this used POS in the first place, but once in my garage I knew I needed to save it. Here's what's been done:

Wiseco Piston & Small end bearing
RB Head Mod
Replate cylinder (Millenium)
RB Carb Mod
KIPS Rebuild
Boyeson Power Reeds
FMF Desert Pipe
Unitrac Bearings
Swingarm Bearings
Wheel Bearings
Steering Stem Bearings
Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
New Pro-taper Bars
Skid Plate
Brake Fluid Flush F&R
Chain & Sprockets
New Air Filter
.43 Fork Springs
New Fork Oil
Removed two fork compression shims
Cleaned 5 years of grime and crap from every nook and cranny.

Still to be done:

Have Shock rebuilt
Install KX250 front end (needs to be overhauled first)
Stop riding like a pu$$y.

Last edited:

Rippy

Jun 6, 2020
Thanks to all the good information on this list, I've rebuilt my 2001 220R moneypit and the thing runs! I took it out to Carnegie (CA) last weekend and the thing kicks ass!

Yes, I'm an idiot for buying this used POS in the first place, but once in my garage I knew I needed to save it. Here's what's been done:

Wiseco Piston & Small end bearing
RB Head Mod
Replate cylinder (Millenium)
RB Carb Mod
KIPS Rebuild
Boyeson Power Reeds
FMF Desert Pipe
Unitrac Bearings
Swingarm Bearings
Wheel Bearings
Steering Stem Bearings
Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
New Pro-taper Bars
Skid Plate
Brake Fluid Flush F&R
Chain & Sprockets
New Air Filter
.43 Fork Springs
New Fork Oil
Removed two fork compression shims
Cleaned 5 years of grime and crap from every nook and cranny.

Still to be done:

Have Shock rebuilt
Install KX250 front end (needs to be overhauled first)
Stop riding like a pu$$y.

Hey,

1.I currently picked up the KDX220r 2001. I was curious to know how you would rebuilt the front shocks ? are you looking to get rid of the old black rubber shock cover look? I was wondering how this was possible as I am interested in doing it to mine.

2. I use a twins air filter on it but it feels and fits smaller then the previous filter, is this normal for a twins?

3. How often do you change the gear oil? where is the gear oil located and it be great if you can provide pictures on where its located on the bike so I can change it, how often you change it and what type of oil. It be great to get some tips. I am not sure if you have access to my email through this but if you could send pics of a filter you use and oil for the gears or a youtube link on how to change it that be great.

Top Bottom