It's almost spring! Time to buy hop-ups :-)

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Well, it's almost time to go riding around here and my new E/XC 250 is really taunting me
biggrin.gif
I just sold my KDX and I'm ready to order some goodies for the new bike! I also need to get my oils for the season and I was wondering if anyone here is using Torco oils for premix or tranny oil? My riding buds use the stuff and love it but they all ride green. I would just like to get a KTM rider's opinion. Also, what ratio do you recommmend? I was thinking 40:1

I was also thinking about trying an E-line skid plate instead of aluminum,... has anyone tried one of these? If so, how do you like it?

thanks

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Swirk

May 17, 2000
Jay,

Welcome to Orange Country!! I don't know about the Torco oils, I use Yamalube at 40:1 ratio. There was a post a few weeks ago about the E-line skidplate cracking if you ride in rocks and roots. Since you are in NH I am sure you know how to ride in mud, rocks, and roots
biggrin.gif

Where in NH do you ride? I am in the Rochester area and ride mostly in Maine and Southern NH.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Mobil MX2T 2-stroke oil, Mobil 1 15w-50 gear box oil. On the 250 I would toss a coin on using 32:1, or 40:1. On the 200 I would use 32:1, and on my 300 (and my old 380) I use 40:1. Have Fun!!

I use the Moose skid plate, and Holeshot's pipe guard. If you use the aluminum skid plate, put some sprinkler system drip tubing around the frame before installing. It cuts down on noise and vibration.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

[This message has been edited by Strick (edited 03-28-2001).]

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
Congratulations on your new bike! I just got my '01 250 EXC on Friday. It is also my first KTM after 20 years of Kawasakis for enduros. I am using Maxima Super M oil which I switched to from Kawasaki oil since it is supposed to be cleaner burning and have less drool out the exhaust. I never used Torco oils and don't know anyone who does so I can't help you out there. I guess thats not so popular here, I've never seen it for sale at the shop.
W.E.R. and Enduro Engineering both make good aluminum skidplates for this bike, as well as other aluminum protection items. Lots of people I know use these companies and I've only heard good things.
For hopups, so far I am starting with a softer seat foam, aluminum bark buster hand guards, and a DCI relocater which moves the black box to under the gas tank, where it is more protected and also allows you to adjust the steering to turn tighter if you like.
After this I am planning on getting another silencer (lighter weight!)but I am not sure what kind is good yet. Maybe the FMF Turbine Core II.
Also on my wish list is front and rear disk guards, braided clutch hose, radiator guards, and maybe a new pipe.
OK now I am up to $500 in goodies I am wishing for, but my bike usually gets whatever it wants
biggrin.gif

Keep us posted on how your setting your bike up and how you like it!

k47k

Feb 2, 2001
I have the E-Line skid plate and ride in Gravel pits with golf ball to basketball sized rocks. ive had it for about 2 months with rocks bashing it constantly.
So far it is holding up fine. It is light, looks cool, doesnt make noise and does the job.

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Thanks for the replies!

I decided to give the E-Line stuff a try. I've already used their pipe guards so I had to get one of those. I also ordered the skid plate and disc gurd. It's very rocky around here so I'll know very soon how well these parts hold up
wink.gif

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

woodsdude

Mar 31, 2000
MA
Jay,

I've always run golden spectro at 50:1 in my KTM's and have never had a problem. Anyone know when Clough opens?

------------------
"when in doubt, gas it!"
NETRA/AMA
99 KTM 300 EXC

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Well, I got my E-line stuff and the skid plate is thick! I think it will hold up very well.

I still haven't decided on what to use for oils yet,... thanks to all for the input - I'll get it figured out
biggrin.gif

woodsdude, I don't know when Clough opens but I can't wait! I'll ask ratmloud,... he'll know for sure

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Clough will open (always does)the first day of Memorial day weekend....May 26th.

Don't hold your breath it's a long way off.

It doesn't open until mud-season has long been over.
frown.gif

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

Top Bottom