Japanese or European 250 2-storke

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

I currently ride a modified KDX200 (lots of mods), I have been riding this for a year and have decided it is time for a bigger bike. I am 210lbs at 5'10" and do mainly trail/bush riding. I like the technical stuff, big hill climbs most of all, the harder the better. I want a bike that is going to be very reliable, easy to maintain, has good tractable power and will suite the kind of riding I do.

What bike do I get KTM250EXC or YZ250 with WR box and a flywheel weight ( these are more or less the same price here in South Africa, but Yamaha parts are cheaper)? Any other suggestions will be appreciated, I will say this, I am 2-stroke biased and the 4-stroke maintenance put me off a bit (valve adjustment).

Please help, thanks.

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
japenese or European 250

Don't overlook the KTM 300. It's a great all around off road bike and it has a little bit more "steam" than the 250. My 01 model has been totally dependable and it's very well laid out for a full size guy like yourself. (I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs) They come all set up with a larger gas tank, wide footpegs, o-ring chain, good bars, grips and levers. It has a nice wide powerband too, for a two stroke, but still hits pretty hard when you want it too. The power valve is adjustable with a screw driver (you can do on the trail in about 3 seconds) so you can adjust the powerband to hit right off the bottom or roll on more slowly depending the traction conditions. Overall it's a great bike.
Don :cool:

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
personally i'd go for the KTM. i love orange, but cant afford one. are you on a budget for ur next bike? that should also be considered.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Look at a KTM250/300 or GasGas EC250/300. I wouldn't go japanese, the euro two-stroke trail bikes are absolutely amazing! The GasGas will be smoother than the KTM, and, IMHO, better suspended. Softer seat, too.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I rode my brothers GasGas 300ec last Saturday, he is quite a short guy and has dropped the height of the bike, so the suspension setup didn't quite suite me, it felt very hard and so did the seat. I had to stand the whole time because as soon as I sat down it felt like my eyes were going to vibrate out of my head.

I have never ridden a KTM of any kind, I will have to ride one as soon as I can find someone to bum a ride from. The KTM's have better dealer support than the GasGas here in SA, but then the jap bikes, especially Yamaha have the best support. The KTM's are more expensive all round, purchase price as well as parts. A friend of mine used to ride a 04 KTM300EXC, he just sold it as he doesn't get the time to ride with his work commitments.

Are the KTM’s as reliable as the Yamaha’s? I know they used to have a bit of a bad reputation at one stage (KTM - Kick till Monday), but this has changed some what with the success they have here on our off road racing circuit. Most of my friends ride Jap bikes as they are cheaper all round and dealerships are a little closer than the KTM dealership, although this will change shortly it seems.

Thank you for all your input thus far, I look forward to more. Please can you elaborate on the type of ride the different bikes will give. Difference between KTM300exc, KTM250EXC, YZ250, KX250, etc. I think these will be my best options based on dealership support.

Paul

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, the KTM piston may be much more expensive but they are forged and tend to last a lot longer. Also, KTMs usually have hard seats, but you either get used to it or get an aftermarket seat.

If you will be riding offroad instead of MX, the KTMs are an excellent choice. Many of my friends have the 300. I prefer the 250 (less tiring to ride, IMO) even though the 300 has more power. Great bikes - reliability has not been a problem for my friends.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
In terms of handling I'd go for the yz. The ktm has smoother, more friendly power delivery though. I'd get a husky or TM250/300 over any of those options.

Top Bottom