Ante500

Nov 23, 2002
Hi all, I've got a small problem with my 1997 CR500. The cylinder has been ported and the carb is bored out. The prevoius owner recomended me to run a 190 main and a 60 low speed jet. The bike runs very well at low, mid and top-end. The problem is with the idle. If I let the bike idle for about 20-30 seconds it often stalls once the throttle is opened. Sometimes if the throttle is open very carefully and the bike gets just past the idle-rev it runs perfect and the throttle can be slammed open without any hesitation. Also sometimes if I only blip the throttle at idle the revs drop off but and it almost stalls but after a few secs it's back to normal idle. I suspect this is not due to the 60/190 jets?

Any ideas what might be the problem, is it running lean at idle?

/Andy

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
umm sounds lean, how low is the idle? if its real low i know my xr200 would stall when the throttle was cracked at idle w/ too low of an idle.just for the hell of it try a richer pilot or lower the clip a notch and see what happens.

Ante500

Nov 23, 2002
The idle is pretty high. Also if I drive/engine brake slowly around tight corners with the throttle fully closed the bike kind of constantly accelerates and deaccelerates. Kind of hard to describe but it now a smooth deacceleration that you would expect it to be. I would prefer not to mess with the jets unless it is nessesary. I think a 60 low speed jet is rather "rich" anyway?

/Andy

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Originally posted by Ante500
The idle is pretty high. Also if I drive/engine brake slowly around tight corners with the throttle fully closed the bike kind of constantly accelerates and deaccelerates.

/Andy

What you are saying describes a lean condition.  I don't know what the stock pilot jet is for your bike,  but it sounds too lean.  I would check for any air leaks.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
60 is big for your pilot jet however the boring of the carb. probably changed it's dynamics. The surging you described sounds like a big bore two stroke that is too lean. I owned an 87 cr 500 many years ago and experienced a similar problem while jetting it. Check for air leaks too. My 500 had a chronic problem blowing it's cylinder base gasket.

Your ridin' bud

Ante500

Nov 23, 2002
Thanks guys, it's probably running lean at idle then. What about the air screw and needle setting? Afaik they most affect idle. What should I aim for?

/Andy

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
FWIW, my WR 500 has been modded (larger bore, head mods, pipe, etc)and runs a larger, Keihin 39.5 mm PWK near sea level and runs a 175 main, and 55 pilot. Although I am not sure what temp, sea level you are at, your CR sounds rich in comparison.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah sounds like a air leak or if the slide is worn out on a big bore bike it will have varying idle due leakind past the slides . On some of those older carbs the chrome would wear off also I know because I had a few of them and sometimes the throttle would stick and bite you . Reeds could be shot also .crankseals etc.If you have problems with blowing or weeping base gaskets you can get Cometic gaskets to make tou a trick tin rubber laminated base gasket that will not blow out and its reuseable and you can have it mailed to you in a few working days . Theyll also make you a .188 spacer plate and you run 2 of those gaskets under the cylinder if you want to rebuild your cranky with the newer years longer aftermarket rod kits . Older motors 86/older used a 5mm shorter rod and there is no aftermarket kit available .If you do this youll have to enlarge the top motor mount bolt holes to get a fit . If youve got a bike that blows or sucks base gaskets you should run a bead of good sealer around the base of the cyl after torquing down . Good insurance . Alot of times on microsprint motors that run alcohol Ill do this with glue . Alcohol is very corrosive and can eat and rot away gaskets . Ante500; find someone who can help you pressure or vacuum test your assembled engine . Anybody good with 2 strokes should be able to help you if they cant help you then find someone more handy to listen to . Good Luck Man

Ante500

Nov 23, 2002
Thanks for your help guys. The engine was recently rebulid so I'm confident it's only a tuning issue. I'll check air leaks anyway.

/Andy

Top Bottom