skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Hey Mike! Glad to hear things are going well... NGK site has a ton of info on the heat ranges - take a peek! I personally run the BR8EVX for what it is worth....

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Hey Mike! Now that things are close, we can really get in there and dial it in. I would follow Rich's lead and go with the B8 plug. When you get back to the track, take some good notes on performance at varying throttle positions AND RPM's. We can work from the top-down and get all the jets working in harmony. We want a crisp top - but not at the fringe... I like to find the main that runs at peak and then go 1 richer for the sake of the motor. As for the needle... the overlap here is significant. We can certainly move the clip, but we have options with the diameter as well as the nozzle. We get this settled down, and the pilot/air will be easy to set up. Make sure you are very consistent with which type of premix and at what ratio - plus get your gas at the same place each time. We want to make sure we are dealing with only one variable at a time. So far, are you happy with the improvement??

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Yes, the improvement is very good. I know there is more, so we will run the B8 this weekend and then try a different main and get back with you.

What do you recommend for a procedure in doing a plug check with the BR8 ???

BTW, This whole thread has been very fruitful and I am thankful for all of you that have helped. :)

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
No worries dude - glad to help out!
As for doing a plug check.... you will get many different opinions on this - here's mine. Start with a new plug gapped at .022". Warm it up and go aroung the track a couple times. FInd a straightaway - preferably uphill and do a WOT run for about 30 seconds, or until you hit peak - do it in a high gear. When you hit the highest RPM - press/hold the kill switch and pull the clutch. Brake to a stop - let it cool for a few minutes and pull the plug. The color should be mocha to tan.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'll give it a shot. Dave will be there and he has had some good experience re-jetting his bike with the Eric Gorr kit. I think the plug will help a lot, especially after what Rich said.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Now who said to trash the 9's??? Look forward to seeing ya Sat.
Been very busy with Job...
http://community.webshots.com/album/36469720TniUYl
as you can see, 12 hour days have been wearing me out.
Went to Wilmington on Sat w/ wife for 18 aniv. got caught in rain shower on front st. and laid down the Harley...$1,500 damage apx....sucks! Tell ya about it Sat. Prob won't be online much before then, feal free to call my cell.
Later,
Dave

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I noticed you guys saying trash the 9 for 8. My 1987 Honda CR125 runs strong but I cant get rid of some extra oil on the plug, so would switching to an 8 do anything bad to my bike?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by dell30rb
Man that sucks! I always wondered what would happen when one of those things fell down. How did you get it back up?
If you can't pick it up you should not let it go down, actually pure adrenaline will tilt up 660#'s pretty easily. After getting my wife in the ambulance, I was pretty pumped up. 30 years of riding and this was my first accident on pavement.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
we got caught in a shower... Front St. has some old rail tracks and the front tire washed out on the steel, pitched her off (she landed on her arse) and I slid 20 feet down the road kneeling on the street and bike. After the bike came to rest, I ran over to her and kept her still till the Para-med’s took over and put her on a back board, 4 hours later she checks out of hospital with no more than a bruise on the elbow. But, I don't take chances with her. Turns out her helmet never even hit the street, leathers now have some character, she says she likes them better scuffed. Thanks for asking Dell, I'm ready for some dirt this weekend though! Mike, Ren...We have all day to get those things jetted jusssttttt right! don't you worry none! Anyone else showing up?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Now who said to trash the 9's???
Well, uh............um.................uh....................ya..........you did.... :o

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Ouch man!! Bummer!

I was wondering how railroad tracks could cause a front tire too wash out, i thought it would be one of those crossings or something, but in the middle of the street... I can see that. Those rails are slick as snot when its wet. We used to go down to the railroad tracks here and put water on the rails, and we took some shoes and epoxied a piece of plastic chopping board onto the soles. Get a running start, hop on those wet rails with the slick plastic soles, and you could slide for 50 feet. (Falling off was an issue because you had to balance on one rail)

I knew the crash would be well documented, you are really trigger happy with that digital camera!!

See ya saturday

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just got to wash my gear and get some sleep. I'm glad you guys didn't get hurt. Saturday is going to be fun.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
UPDATE 5-20-02

Well, I went riding Sat to the same place I went two weeks ago. The temp was about 10* cooler. I was running a 340M/70-2/45P@2.0 turns/S-9/5.0 with a BR8ES plug. I did a few laps and pulled in and the plug was completely clean, almost looked like the bike wasn't even run except the black oil on the threads. I showed it to 96whyzee (Dave) and we agreed to switch to a 350M. I went out and tried that with a BR8EG plug and pulled it out with almost the same results. Then I switched to a BR9ES plug did some running and the plug only showed a little bit of grey on the porcelin, I mean a little. Dave gave me a 360M to try but I ran out of time and will give that a go next week.

Skip, do you think that the 10* was enough to do it? The bike was running very well that Dave and I could tell, the plug just looked so lean

Last edited:

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
Hey Mike, been gone a while....
10 degrees can make a difference and so can humidity changes. By the book - 20 degrees warrants a change in main, but when you are running at the nth on jetting perfetion, 10 degrees can be a bigger deal than one would imagine. When tuners for the pros go to the track, they will adjust jetting CONSTANTLY in an effort to achieve perfection. I wouldn't go that far, but if you find some days warrant a 350 and some a 360, either resign yourself to changing the main each time to compensate, or run the 360 constantly and be safe.

Skip

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks man.

Top Bottom