RICOC

Sep 30, 2004
Trying to figure out how to activate 1st gear on my son's jr 50. Planning a ride that a little more pull low end may be needed. Have read other threads with what sounds like simple instructions, but would like to make sure with pictures if they can be e-mailed.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Post your email address and I'll send the info.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
its as easy as you think. pull out the shift shaft and look at the actuation mechanism. its oblonged in one direction. make it obloned equally in both directions and your set.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Right side cover.

I didn't remove the shaft. I covered the surrounding area with rags and ground the slot with a Dremel. When I was finished, I leaned the bike to the right and flooded the area with WD 40 to clean it.

donp

Sep 21, 2004
so if i dremel out the slot in the shifter mechanism i will end up with a two speed transmission????
and what would the shift pattern be? seems to me it will be down for first, middle for neutral, up for second. is that right? my sons tranny is still apart on my bench waiting for the gasket set to arrive, and since i have a trashed spare parts tranny, i just may have to try this trick before i put it together.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
donp said:
so if i dremel out the slot in the shifter mechanism i will end up with a two speed transmission????
and what would the shift pattern be? seems to me it will be down for first, middle for neutral, up for second. is that right?

Correct, on both counts.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I just bought my daughter a '82 JR50. Can't wait till she needs the first gear. Thanks for the great info everyone, the little motochick will appreciate it! YZ165

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:cool:

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Thanks Vic, I got the diagram as well (email). Now if I could get my son to keep his left boot on the peg and not resting on the shifter, we'll be in business. Maybe we'll have that worked out by the time he's ready for both gears... ;)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
TEEEE said:
Now if I could get my son to keep his left boot on the peg and not resting on the shifter, we'll be in business.

Lol! I had the same problem. :)

gt6racer

Oct 25, 2004
Thanks Vic - I did the mod last night and it works great. The first gear is awesome - before it would hardly pull me - now I can do wheelies. My boy hasn't riden it yet but he will be very happy ( just hope he doesn't learn to get the front wheel up when mom is watching ! ).
I would offer some guidance to others doing the mod :
1) Remove the foot peg/sidestand assembly as this blocks access to the shift mechanism. It's easy to do and makes the job easier.
2) Undo the nut and pull the rear brake lever off its post as well - just more room to work.
3) Mark the kickstart lever/shaft relationship to make sure the kickstart is correctly loaded on reassembly.
4) Remove kickstart lever and oil feed pipe banjo bolt. Drain oil.
5) Remove clutch cover.
6) Remove engine casing. Note order for clutch parts.
7) Remove spring and clip plate from selector.
8) Grind away the material. I put paper towels all round the area and behind the selector to catch the grindings. Put the spring and clip plate back on temporarily to check that the selector goes into the new gear, and sits in the notch in the clip plate. ( By using the normal gear lever )
9) Clean up well, I rinsed with WD40.
10) Remove kickstart stop bolt.
11) Put clutch together and engine case on ( lining up the clutch mechanism ). It may help to turn the engine over with the kick lever to get the oil pump gear to mate. Put clutch cover. Line up kickstart lever with the marks you made earlier and fit clamp bolt, push down and put in stop bolt. Bolt on the clutch cover and other bits ( don't forget the oil pump feed line). Put in oil. Ride. I'm going to change the oil again just in case I got some filings in there.

It is very easy - it took me a couple hours, but only because I tried to do it without removing the pegs etc.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
It's been a while, but I don't remember having to remove the clutch.

gt6racer

Oct 25, 2004
You're right Vic - the clutch doesn't have to come off - but the adjusting parts of the clutch will fall out when you take the case off.

jarvis

Nov 9, 2004
50 jr 1rst gear mod

Hello, my son is completely ready for this mod. it might even save me from buying a new bike for a while, could someone please send the detailed info for this mod to me... thanks

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Just curious, what is the logic behind the bike having 1st gear blocked out from the factory ? Seems odd they would hsave it in there at all if it couldn't be engaged- is it because they use the same motor in the quad ?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
It is essentially the same as the quad motor.

It's probably a marketing thing.

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I've got an 04 kdx50 that my son got last x-mas. I thought about doing this mod but ended up getting him an 03 KTM Mini Adventure instead. That bike is so much nicer for him to ride. It's faster and it has better suspension, make that WAY better suspension. The kdx50 is sitting in my storage building waiting for my 3 year old to take it over. As soon as he can ride his bike without training wheels, I will drop the front sprocket a tooth or two and put some Michelin Starcross tires on it and turn him loose on it.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the problem is to be ama legal the bike has to be a single speed. if it had two speeds then it would not be legal for class 3. so yeah its kinda a marketing thing.

Top Bottom