SiX_Fo

Apr 22, 2004
I have a '98 jr50 and the clutch recently went out on it. I replaced all the plates with new ones and now when I try to kick it over and it will either not even move the piston(clutch will just slip,even if it's in neutral) or it will start 1 time and once I shut it off it won't start until I take the clutch apart again. I am thinking that it is the springs because that's the only thing I havent replaced so far. the top-end is all new and so are the clutch plates. Does anyone have any idea what this could be??

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I dont think they have changed much since i last worked on one. The springs on that clutch being centrifugal actually disengage the clutch so the springs will not help it start. Im trying to remember exactly what the mechanicals inside look like, but i do remember that the kick starter engages the clutch as you kick it. ill do some checking.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
the problem i had (it was my friends bike that has now moved or i would go take it apart and look) was the kick starter was just slipping it wasnt actually turning the crank even though you could feel resistance. However if you pushed the bike and then reached back with your hand while rolling and pushed down on the kick starter you could push start it. the kick starter mechanism on those is all the little parts bolted on the outside of the clutch basket. there is a little actuator arm that turns a steel plate with three humps bent into it. when this plate moves (via the arm with the nub that fits into a notch in the plate with three bumps) while pushing the kick starter those nubs rotate so that they compress the clutch plates together which allows the kick starter to transmit through the clutch to the crank turning it. you need to look at that plate to see if the three bumps are pressing the clutches tight or if they are "camming" over the top of the humps. if they are going over the top of the humps you have either incorrect clutch plate thickness or stacking (unlikely) or you have assembled one or some of the parts that go on top of the clutch pack so that it has increased the clerance between the wavy/humped plate and the peice it pushes on. If it isnt camming over the top of the humps then the arm isnt actuating the cam plate(wavy/humped) so look at the components from the small arm that fits in the notch on the cam plate to the kick starter and see why it either isnt pushing it far enough or not at all. It seems that my friend put the wrong oil in his once and it made the cluch slip while kicking it so if all seem to be correct you might check that too. sorry its so long and I hope Ive helped and not confused its hard to explain in just words.

Top Bottom