BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Hello All,
I am getting a new bike this week and want to start jumping and learning tricks. Its a 2000 CR250 and i want to know whats the best way to start jumping and doing tricks. I had a XR 250 before and would jump that but nothing like doubles or triples. It would be enough to bottom out the shocks but that is not saying much on an XR. What are the best tricks to learn first and how would i do them? Is thier any good books or video's on this that would help me out? I just recently bought "Throttle junkies" on DVD from fry's for 5 bucks and it inspired me to learn how to do some of the stuff but i don't know where to start. I also watch the FMX on tv (gravity games and X games) but I know that you just don't start out doing that stuff and don't really know where to start. Also does anyone know where i can get some good motor cross DVD's?
I can't seem to find them anywhere besides the one i got.

Thanks,

Brent

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
Honestly, concentrate on learning to jump big first. Get comfortable in the air especially being on a new bike. Start small trying no handers and that stuff to get your timing down. I haven't made it past that point myself.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Brent...I was just picking with ya. :)

[This message has been edited by Tennessee Thumper (edited 10-24-2000).]

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Nah, he was just alluding to the fact that there have been discussions in the past where people tried to ask for Freestyle, Quad, Teen, and other forums. Without being familiar with those threads, it's too subtle to be able to catch.

As for learning tricks, I'd concentrate on learning how to move the bike around in the air. You'll learn how to correct a bad situation and eventually how to cause a bad situation and then recover (which is all most of the tricks are anyway).

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
No you don't look stupid.I wish I could do some of those tricks myself.I really enjoy watching Travis Pastrana do fmx.

Oct 25, 2000
How do I whip my bike sideways in the air to do a Pancake Whip? Some people have told me just to turns my handlebars.., but I want to get some more advice before I go and break my neck.. Thanks!

JohnyB

Aug 29, 2000
I don't know a whole lot about tricks, but I heard you won't be able to turn your bike sideways in the air just by turning your handlebars. I've read somewhere about rotating your hips or something instead. Don't go take my advice and kill yourself though! :)

I know FOX came out with a new DVD movie. It's a greatest hits video or something.

Mayhem

Oct 24, 2000
To whip the bike you have to be really comfortable moving around in the air first. The handlebars are what get you flat and your hips and feet are what kick it out sideways (or up, depending on how flat you get it first). Let's say you want to whip it to the right. Basically on takeoff you want to twist your hips counter-clockwise (left). Then crank your bars all the way to the right and pull them into your gut and press them down and left to get it flat. Once you reach the apex of the jump start twisting your hips back to the right to straighten out.It just takes practice to get comfortable doing all the movements in the air. The more practice you get, the sooner you can start crankin on the bars and twisting the bike.

Mayhem

Oct 24, 2000
Brent, Start practicing jumping and getting your technique down. You need to learn how to adjust the bike's attitude in the air first. Front end high- Clutch in and tap the rear brake or give it a quick stomp. Front end low- gas it to drop the rear wheel etc. Once you're a decent jumper start with no footers, no handers, nac-nac's and heel clickers. They're probably the easiest.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
cool thanks, this is all great advise, do you know where i can get the fox dvd? I have been looking but have a hard time finding motocross dvd's. I have midterms this week and next week so i dont' know if iwill get a chance to get out this weekend but i hope i do, if not next weekend. Is the best place to jump at a MX track or just find a good jump in the desert?

-Brent

Mayhem

Oct 24, 2000
For the DVD try calling 1-888-FOX-RACE (i believe that's the # or it's 1-800) or go to any FOX dealer and they can order it for you.
Seeing as how your in Cali there should be some good tracks around you with decent jumps to practice on. Just start small and build up your confidence then start moving to the bigger jumps. Talk to rider's at the track and ask them how fast to go over certain jumps. You can follow them over jumps too to help get the right speed down. My local track doesn't have any large jumps so I built my own triple, double and a ramp to ramp jump. They're all between 70-80 feet. You can practice some tricks on smaller jumps but some require more air time than others. Start by practicing the movements with the bike on the stand so you know exactly what to do. It's a lot easier to move around once your in the air though. It takes the pressure off your joints and you won't seem as stiff as when you were doing them on the stand.

YZ125 KID

Apr 25, 2000
You can do alot of stuff on really little jumps!(10-25') like one handers,onefooters,no footers, nohanders!
and once you get all that down you can hit some bigger jumps(45-60') and do the X,or a seran wrap.
But take it easy!!!
don't just go out there and try to "Go Big"!

Just my two cents......

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
well thanks for all your tips guys, i went to the track on friday for the first time and lets just say i don't have to worry about tricks for a while. I was so scared of the jumps their was no time for the tricks. I am going to the desert for thanks giving and i feel more comfortable on the jumps thier since thier is a big take off and landing spots so i might try it thier.

-Brent

------------------

00 CR250

Airstyle

Jun 20, 2000
Trust me, the feeling that you had when you went to the track today is one that you should listen to and listen hard, it is called 'common sense'. Never feel as if you have to prove something, take your time. Believe me, for every "competent jumper" out there, there are 15 guy's who thought that they were that are in rehab!

Pick up No Fear's "One" video and you will see and read in the credits at the end what 'going big' will get you when you go beyond the limits of your skill's, the bikes potential, and last, but not least, Mother Nature and the laws of physics!

It is serious business and you need to be very attentive, not everyone of us has the "nine lives" that SETHRO does!!!! You can take that to the bank.

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
well i am going to the desert for the weekend where i am feel more comfortable jumping. There aren't any huge doubles like at the track but good pratice never the less. As anyone see the FOX video greatest hits for DVD? I am thinking of picking that one up but don't know if its any good or not.

-Brent

------------------
00 CR250
My webpage

Top Bottom