Chris Morita

Oct 14, 2000
this ia chris again any i am wondering what exactly to do on a jump. I know that four strokes are a whole different thing from two stroke and i just need some advice for jumping with a four stroke. thnx

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
keep the throttle at a constant setting all the way up the jump. lets say that you are half throttle before the jump, keep it half throttle all the way up the jump, till you get in the air. DO NOT CHOP THE THROTTLE ON THE FACE OF THE JUMP! have fun!

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Tyler #28
When in doubt, WFO

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Do all of your accelerating before the jump...do just as Racerdude said.

If you accelarate on the face of the jump the front end will come way up.

If you chop the throttle (let off) the engine breaking that a 4-stroke has will make you endo.

All of these methods have been tried and proven by me.... :confused:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Don't forget to apply the throttle right before landing. The 4-strokes can spit you over the bars if you land without the gas applied.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
i think it also depends on what kind of stroker you're on. a yz400/426 behaves a lot more like a 2-smoke in these situations than like something with a more traditional thumper powerband.

------------------
will pattison
engineer, racer
ignition
www.ignitioninc.com

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
The yz400 will still throw you over the bars if you let off the gas before you are in the air. (First hand experience!!!)

Also, if you are almost revved out in a gear it seems to help if you shift into the next higher gear so the bike is still pulling all the way up the face of the jump.

jjj

Mar 24, 2000
The cast on my left arm is testament to the 4 stroke horrors of which you speak.
Steady throttle on the face steeeaddddyyyyy!!!

------------------
jjj pizzaguy
01 KTM 520SX
00 YAM YZ426 For Sale
00 KTM 400SXC For Sale

Finished Buying Bikes For A While I Hope!!!!

00 YZ426F

Thumper448

Apr 21, 2000
Chris,

While you are learning to jump, it is probably not a bad idea to use a steady throttle all the way off the jump. However, to say that it's the only way to jump a thumper is simply not true. I jump different obstacles with the throttle chopped to wide open depending on the situation. You just learn to adjust with your body position. If you jump with the throttle wide open, you make up for it with having your body more over the handlebars. If you jump with the throttle chopped, you have to get back like you are going through the whoops.

If this seems overwhelming right now, don't worry. Take your time and learn slowly. If you think about what you're doing on the bike now, it will all be second nature in a few years.

Good Luck,

Stace

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Thumper448:
However, to say that it's the only way to jump a thumper is simply not true.

I didn't hear anybody say it was the only way.... just the best way to keep from looping or going over the bars. You are correct though, over different obsticles you will use different throttle and body positioning, but for someone new to the concept of jumping or getting use to a new track/obsticle, steady is the safest.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
TwinSpar -- thanks! Aha! Lightbulb goes off. etc. etc. etc. I thought I must just have been in poor body position -- can't wait to go try with new knowledge.

Top Bottom