sandrider02

Aug 28, 2002
Is there anything I should know about these. I just bought one brand new from the dealer. Do you guys have any tips or problems that need to be fixed. Thanks in advance.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Do a search on '01 CR250 jetting. The stock jetting really sucks and is not fixable with basic pilot & main jet changes. There are several routes to go in fixing the problem. Read the threads and decide for yourself which way to go.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Grease the linkage, swingarm, and steering stem. There is not much grease in there from the factory so you'll ruin the bearings fast if you don't grease it up yourself. Also, oil the airfilter before you ride it because it comes with hardly any on it as well.

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
the jetting sucks and ruins an overall excellent bike , ive changed the main , pilot and adjusted the needle and it still sucks . some swear by the s-7 nozzle and that's my next move , if not i might just buy a new keihin carb from the 2000 cr250 as i hear it's a lot easier to dial in and under $200 at planet honda. also , you might want to apply a little anti-seize to the fasteners on the aluminum frame .

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i had a 2000 and the keihin carb was trouble free. if i get a new cr, the carb swap will be the first thing i do.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I bought a used 2001 CR250 a year ago and have had no problems whatsoever. Very trouble free. I recommend radiator braces, as the stock ones are very prone to bending in slight tipovers. The muffler brackets to the subfrane can crack in a fall, but are fixable with J bond. The clutch perch rattles and must be fixed. And yes, the jetting must be fiddled with to get even close. But boy, does it haul the mail. Have fun!

sassy

Apr 14, 2002
great bike,put a pipe protector(e-line)on, stock pipe is the best overall pipe there is,anti sieze the chain adjusters (take them out) aluminum bars,foam window sealer under neath the plastic to keep it from digging in to the aluminum,silicon bars to cut down vibration {if you have a promblem}had to on 98cr,foam insulation in the frame at the steering head,re- grease all suspension,love it it will last a long long long time..

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
Where did you get the 01 model? Do they have any left? I have a 01 and love it. The new models are weak in the engine department. the case reed design just doesn't cut it. I hope Honda does something quick to fix this.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Anybody compare the '03 to the '01? From magazine reviews, the '03 sounds like it would be good in the woods with its smooth power down low.

Steve47

Nov 23, 2001
Sorry I can't tell you. I never owned a CR. My friend had a 2001 and struggled with the jetting the whole time. I rode both (2000 and 2001) and the 2000 is running a lot better.

sassy

Apr 14, 2002
jetting can be fixed, TALK TO PEOPLE THAT OWN THE BIKE AND HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO FIX THINGS, i changed a main and a pilot, have no promblems.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I had a FMF Fatty and Turbine Core. W/ my elevation at about 700 ft I ran a 430(richer) main-as the stocker leans the mid to top out real bad. I think my pilot was a 32-I posted this combo many times. The needle was a different needle-again check the post and the mod that changed the whole mess to consistently sweet running was a 5.5mm slide. The stocker had a 4mm slide. Do a 1.5 mm cut and live happily ever after. Blue Thunder, Big Lou, MX547 as well as Firecracker22 have all ridden this bike and it ran clean, pulled hard and NEVER fouled a plug after changing the jetting.

Lou has a video of it pulling a holeshot @ Dirtweek-it ran great :thumb:

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
cr swade
how do you cut 1.5mm off the slide ? will it help my 01 jetting woes ? i've changed the main , pilot and needle clip position and it still loads up on trailing throttle situations . have you tried the s-7 nozzle ? that seems to be what other 01 owners are recomending to help clean it up .

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yes, I tried it-but found I still couldn't get clean transition from low to mid and then the extremely noticeable lean top-end. The main was often leaned out by many in order to try to clean up transition and all it did was lean the upper mid/top more.

To cut the slide you just need a rat-tail file, a sharpie marker or dentist pick type tool, some wet/dry paper for polishing and about 30 minutes to do it. What you are doing is opening up the air opening (large radius side) on the slide by 1.5mm.

Worked for me anyway :thumb:

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
My friend has an 01 and he had to cut his slide too. He has a VForce, PC pipe and TCII silencer, and I believe he has a 380 main.

I have an 03. We do Hare Scrambles type riding and the 03 is better overall. The suspension is much nicer. The 03 motor is poorly jetted stock. Also adding a tooth to the rear helps.

I'm getting the jetting close and find that I need the clutch less and less. The 03 has the HP to pass my buddy going up long hill-climbs, so it's no slouch in the motor department. It just doesn't really hit hard anywhere so it doesn't feel real fast.

I am going to try an S8 nozzle in my bike this weekend if I can find one in time.

tomoad

Jan 27, 2003
I ALSO GOT AN 03' CR 250 AND CANNOT NOT GET IT FROM LOADING UP. WHEN RIDING AROUND SLOW FOR A LITTLE BIT THEN GOOSE IT AND BUH!!! BUH!!!! AFTER I GET IT CLEAR RUNS FINE TILL I GO SLOW AGAIN. I JETTED THE ----- OUT OF IT AND GETTING DAMN TIRED OF IT TO. WHAT IS THE S8 THAT EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT, WHERE DOES IT GO. I'M THINKING NOW OF ORDERING ME A CARB OFF OF A 2000 MODEL ''KEIHIN'' BUT I DON'T IF THERE WILL BE ANY FITMENT PROBLEMS..

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
Thats funny. My 01 does the same thing. Tried every jetting combo possible. Diff gas, nozzles S-9, S-5, S-4, 4 slide 5 slide. It still loads up! It works great at all rpms and all throttle positions so long as its being hammered. That leads me to believe it has something more to do with the pipe temp than anything else. I remember reading something about a pipe wrap or coating.. Anyone remember???

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I think your money would be better spent sending your cylinder and head to Eric Gorr. I had him do mine almost 2 years ago, and the bike runs great no smoke , no spooge and has never fouled a plug. I use this bike for a practice bike so it gets a lot of hours on it. It is just as fast as my 02yz250 and a lot more dependable.

Top Bottom