just got a kdx...info please!

jpmanguy

Jun 29, 2008
i just bought a 1997 kdx 200 for $1000 and it is street legal and very nice. im wanting to make it more of a street machine so im trying to figure out what to do. some specs on my machine. stock carb, stock gearing (13,47), dirt tires, stock reeds, fmf gold series pipe (think its the top end pipe).

these are my plans so far:

dual sport/street tires

boyesen reeds

14/4? gearing (43,44,45,46)

mirrors on handguards

thats about it for what i can think of. any suggestions? i need to figure out where to find a smaller sprocket cause the smallest i've found is a 47 which is stock. and i tried attaching a picture but it won't let me.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
look up sprocket specialties 14-47 should do you though...they can help you out..I wouldn't use it for much more than around town ...no hi-ways and be sure to jet it rich to save the piston and cylinder look up the kdx200sr its used overseas for the street maybe some tips on how to tune it ..

jpmanguy

Jun 29, 2008
well one...not gonna be highway driving really only backroads. i want to be able to cruise at 55 easy. i found where i can get sprockets now so im planning on getting something smaller than a 47 and stick with my stock 13 tooth front and see how that works.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I ride my KDX quite a bit on the street and I can only comfortably cruise at 35-40 mph with 13/47. IMO, any faster and the engine RPM's start getting a little high and the vibration becomes uncomfortable if ridden for more than a couple of minutes.

For primarily street riding I would highly recommend going to a 14t CS sprocket. That's like dropping from a 13/47 to a 13/44. That would probably be just about ideal (IMO) for cruising at 50-55 mph. Plus, it is cheaper, you won't have to possibly change your chain, and you can switch back to a 13t easily if you know you are going to be riding some serious trails.

Top Bottom