KDX 200 big bore kit to 225

Tisan

May 1, 2000
Hi,
Any one out there have a KDX200 with a big bore kit. The one offered by Eric Gorr? Just wondering is there is a noticeable difference in power, reliability, more frequent top end jobs? Easy to jet?
I have a 99 which will have an overhaul this summer, ie new bottom end etc. and am thinking about the big bore kit.
Thanks

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I put the 240 kit from LA Sleeve on my 86. It was a low to mid ripper, major difference! I bet the EG 225 would be about the same.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
...is there is a noticeable difference in power...?

Good God Yes!

Mine is a '95 200, now with Eric Gorr's 225 kit (mo' better porting) and a Pro Circuit pipe. To put it simply, it screams. It can chug down low really easily, but the bike absolutely rips through the mid-range all the way to the top.

Easy to jet? Yes, as easy as the stock bike anyway. Some people have noted difficulty with detonation. I do notice some when trailing off the throttle at high speeds, but no big deal.

More frequent top end jobs? No. But considering that my bike went 5 years before I decided to take it apart for the first time, that is kind of a moot point. This will be the third year on the big-bored motor with zero problems (granted I haven't been able to ride as much as in the past - probably two weekends a month for the past two summers). In any case, I don't think reliability is an issue. My bike is still all original in the bottom half...that's reliability.

I could go on about how glad I am that I got the 225 kit done, but I won't. It was money WELL spent.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I just ordered a 225 kit from Eric a few days ago. Can't wait 'till it arrives.

Go to this web site and check out his Garage Sale.
For less than the cost of sending your cylinder out....you can get a new-to-you cylinder ready to go and still have your orginal as a back-up ( or sell to off set the cost ).
Either way you will have to get your head and main-exhaust valve modified.

Eric told me the 225 kit will improve power all round where as the 240 kit is an all out grunt monster.

The 225 will be a nice additon to my KX/KDX hybrid.
Cheers.

Buc

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Tried one and LOVED it. Great power everywhere and you shouldn't expect any difference it top end service intervals over stock . . . . . actually maybe you will. You'll love it so much you'll be riding it night and day.

David

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Dragging an old thread from the grave... but where did everyone end up with Jetting for this kit? I have a last little sputter to tune out at high RPM, and I am wondering if its not a jetting problem, but rather something else.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Eric's 225 kit

I installed Eric's 225 kit 4 years ago and loved it, still do! I then added a Delta Force reed set, RB carb mods, Hinson clutch basket, Fredette/Race Tech fork mods, Scotts Triple clamp and Damper, ProTapers, Moose tapered stem bearings IMS Desert Tank, MX plastics, Excel rims and spokes, Etc., Etc., Etc.
Spent the day doing plug chops, got the jetting spot on so it's just minor changes due to alltitude and temp changes. The RB mods made it more flexible in that regard.
I know, seems like a lot of $ for a '01 KDX but, :coocoo: I like my bike.
I've raced Distric 37 Desert and always finished, even won my class (Magnum 250) once. Not bad for an old guy (55) and an old bike.
Reliable? I've pulled the top end 2 times in 4 years and never had to do more than rings and minor clean up. Since Mobil quit their great 2T oil I switched to Honda Pro 2 stroke oil and it's unbelievable how clean the exhaust valve stays!
As reliable as it is It'll probably be the last bike I ever get. Yup, a few more years and I can race her in the Super Senior Vintage Class. HA! :laugh:

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
So what is your jetting? I'm trying to dial mine in, and I think I *almost* have it... and want to make sure I'm not trying to solve a needle valve seal problem by changing jets...

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
OK, finally got the time and temps to do some tuning this weekend. The results were surprising to say the least.

The bike is still has some room to be tuned, but it is running really well right now, pulling hard, easy throttle wheelies in the first three gears. No bogging, breaking up, etc.

800 feet above sea level
50 degrees F ambient.
Eric Gorr 225 big bore kit
Weisco piston
Boyesen 607 reeds
32:1 mix with Castrol 2 stroke oil
Oiled foam filter
Snorkel out, lid on airbox
FMF Gnarley expansion chamber
FMF Turbine Core silencer
Main: 160 (but this still needs tuning, not sure this is dialed in)
Pilot: 40 (and if anything, still a shade rich)
Needle Clip: (2nd slot from top)

The pilot being that small really surprised me... I never thought it would want that lean a pilot. But boy does it pull well.

Now that the pilot and the clip are worked out and dialed in, I can start playing with the main. I think that 160 may be a bit rich also. I may also try a 38 pilot, and put the clip back in the middle, and see how that does. But anyone would jump on this bike as is and come back with a big smile on their face...

Anyone else running this setup seeing pilots this small? I was really surprised. I kept just dialing it leaner and leaner and it just kept pulling harder and harder... I would have kept going but 40 was the smallest pilot I had.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
OldDirtKDX said:
I've raced Distric 37 Desert and always finished, even won my class (Magnum 250) once.
Magnum 250 class?? What is that, like, for riders over 300 pounds...??

JK. sounds like you love riding.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Mudpack,
No, it's old farts over 50 riding 250cc's or smaller.

Riding is my 2nd favorite thing, right after ......... well, I am 55.... maybe it is my 1st love!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Update...

800 feet above sea level
50 degrees F ambient.
Eric Gorr 225 big bore kit
Weisco piston
Boyesen 607 reeds
32:1 mix with Castrol 2 stroke oil
Oiled foam filter
Snorkel out, lid on airbox
FMF Gnarley expansion chamber
FMF Turbine Core silencer
Main: 160 (but this still needs tuning, not sure this is dialed in)
Pilot: 40 (and if anything, still a shade rich)
Needle Clip: (2nd slot from top)

That ran worse then the same setup, but with the clip at the very top, which means even at a 40 I am still too rich, but I am *close*. Backing out the air fuel mixture screw backed that up as well, that leans it out more, and it ran better backed out then turned in.

A 38 is in the mail and on the way. I'm not going to sweat the main until I get everything else sorted... I suspect that 160 is rich, as I am really spoogey.

Mark Clay

Feb 21, 2003
I purchased a jetting Kit form JD jetting after the conversion of my 03 KDX to a 225. I haven't had a hole lot of time to play with the Jetting but the bike runs great in this cooler weather. I sure it has some more room to play and improve.

155 main, JD sheet recommended starting with a 165 and that didn't seam to work.
42 pilot
Red needle 4th clip position
40:1 Motul oil
Air lid off
Oil foam filter
FMF Gnarly Wood Pipe/ FMF Turbine Core 2 Silencer

*I have noticed a spooge issue also but when ever I start to get rid of it it runs like crap. Our bike's are set up about the same, how do you like those reeds? I have been looking into purchasing them? Hey mabe you will me instead of Vice a Versa. It seams to me that jetting is always a work in progress. Keep this thread going I would like to see where you end up in your search for the right jetting. What area do you live?

I live in jacksonville FL./ South GA. so not a lot of elevation here.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the data point, that is really valuable to hear somebody else that has been down this road has an insanely rich main. You helped me resist breaking my own rule of fiddling with two things at one time (and I always regret doing that, so thanks!).

The boyesen reeds are a cheap and valuable update. For $39 (or whatever) for a factory part that is probably worn out anyway, it made the bottom end smoother and made it pull harder. Not day and night, but enough that I convinced myself I could notice.

I still have my airbox lid on... which is different. And maybe that explains why my pilot jet is so small (and getting smaller). My 38 jet should show up in the mail today, hopefully that will make the bike run right with the needle in the middle position rather then "full lean" where it runs best with the 40 jet.

You also have a different needle (if the "red" needle is different then stock). Not a bad idea perhaps.... if my bike only ends up running right with the 40 main and the clip in position 1, clearly I am using the wrong needle and will have to go hunting. If the 38 runs well with the needle clip at 3, then the stock needle may be fine.

Regardless, as we are running different needles and different airbox lid configurations, we will be close, but still apples to oranges. Maybe oranges to grapefruits. ;)

I'm torn on the airbox lid. If I look at the area of the snorkel hole, and compare it to the bolume of the carb intake, I have trouble seeing how removing the lid can help much. Kinda like adding a lane to an interstate that ends a mile before the traffic jam begins.

On the other hand, I could see a day and night difference by adding or removing the snorkel. So it made a big difference in *something*, especially at low RPM.

I like having the airbox lid on there (and would love to have the snorkel) to have a little more margin for keeping water out of there, and to keep things quiet.

I started with just "pull the snorkel and leave the lid on" as that's seemed common, but the "pull the lid" was just as common.

I kind of enjoy the challenge, and am getting to the point to where I can rejet in under 5 minutes start to finish... so I'll finish dialing it in with my current "lid but no snorkel", then maybe get a real dyno plot, then decide if I want to chase dialing it in with the snorkel back in. I'm more interested in low end grunt and decent fuel economy then just peak power...

Was JD Jetting doing a kit specifically for the Erik Gorr 225 kit with a turbine core and gnarly pipe? Or was it a generic KDX kit?

I have a jetting tuning strategy that seems to be working pretty well... if it works to get me all the way dialed in, and when get time, I'll type it up and post it in this forum.

Mark Clay

Feb 21, 2003
The JD jetting is an after market generic kit for 95 to 05 KDX'S it consist of after market custom multi tapered needles different than stock that are performance oriented. They make a kit for most bikes. The kit comes with Main Jets, custom low and high altitude needles, clips. The kit sells for about $65.00. The red needle was just a marking on it that lets you know it is for low altitudes. The product has received good reviews and I like it. :laugh:

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
How does the 225 " more power everywhere " kit compare to
a slightly modded 220.

I really like the power curve of a 220 with a 35mm carb and PC pipe.

But we also have a 200 that I want to get more bottom to mid out of.

Thanks

Top Bottom