Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I made the move...the other way. I had a ktm 250 and switched to the KDX 200.
No regrets! Sure, there are times when I wish it was a little more ktm, but over all, a great move for me. Yes, tweaking the kdx was in order. I can ride faster longer....and that is what I was looking for.
Different strokes for different folks :)

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Ok, I'll put my foot in my mouth about that one... :scream:

I DO enjoy going fast in the woods (well, about as fast as I can go on an XR200). I also realize that the KDX is designed to do very well in the woods. I also include going fast as a part of "fun trail riding" because going slow isn't fun for me. That's a matter of interpretation.

I may be uninformed, but my point of view was based on something I saw this past weekend. I was at the Loose Moose National Enduro in Marquette, MI...and I swear 70%-80% of the bikes out there were KTMs. That tells me something. There were also more WRs than KDXs out there, too. MOST serious racers don't seem to go for the KDX, it's not designed for racing. You can probably make it into a racing bike, because it IS designed to go fast in the woods, but it's not a racing bike by nature. The KTM is designed for racing. The KDX and the KTM are two different classes of bike. That's what I was going for with my previous post. I wasn't ragging on the KDX or anything, I KNOW it's an awesome bike...that's why I'm going for the KDX over the XR.

My dad switched from a KDX 220 to a KTM 250 EXC (many others in my riding group ride KTM, too)...and he's MUCH faster on the KTM. It's ALL a matter of personal preference and skill. It may be harder to get the KTM to be as nimble as a KDX in the woods, but if you can do it, you're going to go FAST! From how I see it, those who can make the KTM work well are greatly rewarded. Maybe I AM uninformed, but I call 'em like I see 'em.

gonzodog

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2001
I just came beack to this board to see how things were going and ran into this old chestnut.

I bought an 02 KTM 400EX/C four stroke last fall and sold my '96 KDX200 w/the usual mods this spring. I can make some comparisons if'n you're interested.

Heck - I'll make them if you're not!

The KDX was way better in the very tight woods loop at my house and for all around woods riding. Lighter, easier to maneuver around trees, easier to loft the front , etc. Easier to plonk along with, or go fast thru the tight trees without fear of overshooting a turn and scrapping a bunch of bark off onto your arm/hip/helmet, etc. Parts are easy to get, and there are as we all know, about a million aftermarket parts available for them.

The KTM is btter for ME for high speed fire-roads, and hill climbing. On more technical or greasy hills where I had trouble, the KTM will tractor up them without much work. The traction of the 4S motor is just different. It handles high speed bumps well and tracks in a straight line through rough stuff. I can go thru the trees with it, but, it's more work at low speeds, and, it's just a little too tall for my 5'10" frame. I have tipped over more than a few times because the ground wasn't there when I needed to put my foot down.

One interesting thing about the KTM is if I need to lift the front wheel over an obstacle, the bike seems to really need to accelerate to lift the wheel - this is a function I suppose of more weight. It's tougher to fork bounce a wheelie or just blip the throttle to get a loft.

Anyway, I needed to adjust my riding style to the KTM. After the first few rides, I was about ready to sell it and get another KDX and just fix it up the way I was used to. But, in the natual course of events, I kept tweaking the KTM to get it lower, and get all the controls set the way I wanted them, and cleaned up the jetting so it had a little better bottom. So, after 8 months of fiddling, it's getting to the point that I've quite the tinkering and now can just ride it.

Overall, I still miss the KDX when we get into the dark woods. For the more open stuff, the KTM is just fine. And, you can't beat the electric start.

If I could afford it, I'd have both (and a few others too).

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I have a '03 KDX220 with only FMF Rev pipe and Carbon Tech LT Carbon fiber reeds. That's all. I had a chance to ride a friend's KTM200MXC the other day. The KTM had a strong midrange hit. However, my KDX220 had equal midrange power, but more low end, and more top end. Overall, my 220 was definitely faster. I was wondering where was all the massive KTM power was that everyone talks about. I figure all the comparisons saying the KTM is faster must be stock to stock, no mods. The thing is, the KTM costs about $3000 more. For only $230 for a pipe and reed, the KDX 220 beats the KTM 200. Why spend the extra $2770 for the KTM???

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
After adding the mx front end to the 96 kdx, the bike definitely keeps up with high speed terrain. I don't like the thin feeling of the ktm either.
In Europe all courses seem to be fast and that is a big reason why ktm has the higher internal gear ratios. They just don't chug around here, they scream. GP race circuits seem to be 10 to 15 mph faster on average speed around the course.
But kdx's are a love affair and thats why I won't divorce my wife. She'd take mine in the settlement.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
My 74 Hodaka Super Rat with the Phoenix engine overbored to 202cc cost me about $1,300 much cheaper than the Kaw and has more all the way through the power range than any KDX ever built.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
 :laugh:

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
.....in addition I put the motor in a 78 YZ250 monoshock frame and put a Rokon shock absorber fork on it, the thing rails!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Why spend the extra $2770 for the KTM???

Not sure where you are getting your figures from, but if someone is trying to sell you a KTM 200 for almost $7000, laugh in their face. Last time I checked, MSRP for the KDX was $4000, and the KTM 200 is less than $5500 OTD. Now you figure in quality bars, suspension, sprockets, chain and all the other top quality parts the KTM comes with stock, and the $300 for pipe and reeds to make the KDX perform decently, not accounting for the mandatory front springs you will NEED, and you are about even. Now, which one is a better starting platform? Dont get me wrong, the KDX is a GREAT bike, and capable of being raced (how many medals does Mr Fredette have now?) but his bike is far from stock, in fact I would say his is highly modified, about on par, or a little above where the KTM is bone stock. If you think a pipe and reeds will make a KDX equal to a KTM, you are simply kidding yourself, I have owned both, and the diference is unmistakeable.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Jason
My point exactly, Tom was saying there was almost a $3000 difference between the 2 bikes, when in fact it is much less. My reference to the 2 prices was not to sway the arguement one way by stating msrp for one, and OTD price for the other, it was merely to state a reference and let everyone draw their own conclusions. My deduction from re-reading my own post is, factoring in the cost of the bikes at the dealer, figuring the cost of upgrades to the KDX to make it equal, the cost difference between the 2 bikes isnt really that much, The KTM is still probably more expensive, but not much.
As far as kidding myself in believing a stock KTM is no match for a modified KDX, I will state again, I have owned both! The KDX was highly modified, with porting, airbox mods, jetting, pipe silencer and full suspension work, and it doesnt even compare to my stock KTM, Im sorry, it just doesnt. The only thing I have done to my KTM is put in proper springs for my weight and a leaner needle jet. Other riders may feel different, but I can tell you from riding them back to back on the same trail only moments after one another, the KTM is far more powerful and able to handle aggressive terrain better. As I said, this is only my opinion from owning and riding both bikes back to back.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Originally posted by woods_rider1
Jason
As far as kidding myself in believing a stock KTM is no match for a modified KDX, I will state again, I have owned both!

woods_rider makes a good point, that i do not believe has been mentioned. alot of your ktm riders have already OWNED a kdx, not just ridden a buddies for 2 miles or drag raced one thru the trailer park. So, i would have to say that their opinions are much more "educated" than others. I had a 98 kdx for 2 years, and it was a great bike, but there comes a time to move on. i dont care how much money you put into the kdx, until the frame, ski slope seat/tank junction, and front forks are swapped it will never be on par with the ktm. yes, there are exceptions, but from a pure performance standpoint there really is no comparison in this comparison.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
why doesnt everybody just ride and/or race what they own and forget about it. this thread is getting a little long. if you ride with a large crowd of ktm guys get an rm 250 weight the flywheel change the gearing an smoke em. the ktm is basically an mx bike detuned for the woods.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
the beauty of buying a 94 KX is that it is essentially the same bike as the '03, like a beautiful green time warp. The same cannot be said for the KTM, it has evolved and sits the standard in the class.

Top Bottom