eflip74

Nov 28, 2013
Hey guys just wondering what advantages there are from adding or
removing the flywheel weight. I have a 2003 kdx 220r not sure if they are stock on these or not. I ride all trails and I'm thinking of running some hare scrambles next year. I'm used to cr and rm 250s. And this bike doesn't seem to be quite as snappy any suggestions?

eflip74

Nov 28, 2013
sorry all! caught previous thread all kdx riders should read. I was one of those newbies that posted another thoroughly covered subject. I did find out what they do and how they effect the bike. I'm all set with that, just need a new pipe and maybe the larger carb and reeds. Don't quite know whats involved with a bored carb or if its cheaper or more effective than the larger aftermarket carb.Love this bike but like all men want more power!!LOL

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
It maybe my age but I never could understand why so many want to transform this bike into something that it was never meant to be. In the woods and on the trail, the bike has power right where you want it with no hit, it has endless torque.
Going bigger on the carb will yield more power but will have less torque which is better for the track but not always the trail. The 220 has a large sweet spot for off road but will never be a track bike w/o major suspension/ engine mods. Remove the airbox lid, maybe experiment with your sprockets a little, Jet it, pipe it and forget it , depending on your wgt you may want stiffer fork springs. I know it is natural to want to tweak things but this is still probably one of the best bikes( even stock) for it is intended purpose of off road, woods etc. Ride it for what it is and it will keep you smiling.

Dec 15, 2010
I run the 35mm carb off the 200 on my 220 & it works very well with no loss of bottom end torque at all...there is a smooth gain in the power curve albeit a short one starting in the mid range through to the top end ..not arm wrenching, but noticeable all the same...a worthy mod for the 220 if you are running other mods such as exhaust pipe, boyesen rad valve snorkel removed etc...with regards to the flywheel weight the kdx doesn't really need one as the flywheel is already quite weighty...but you could shave a few oz off the OE flywheel, this would make the bike rev & pick up a lot quicker & would be useful if you never rode in the woods ! :)

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
Exactly what Ridejunky said... :cool:

Top Bottom