HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
If I had thought of it at the time.... I should have welded a mount for this KX100 kickstand to my frame, before I powdered it that is! Just something to keep in mind for future hybrid builds.

KXD112710-1.jpg

:think:

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I compiled this as a downloadable pdf incase anyone wanted to make their own hybrid and use this as a manual. I hope that's okay with you HRDROKN, if not, I will remove it.

It's a 9.4mb download.

>>>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14084841/KDX_Hybrid_by_HRDROKN.pdf<<<

I will keep this link running as long as I can but there are no guarantees.

Thanks for your info HRDROKN.

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
Joburble said:
I compiled this as a downloadable pdf incase anyone wanted to make their own hybrid and use this as a manual. I hope that's okay with you HRDROKN, if not, I will remove it.

It's a 9.4mb download.

>>>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14084841/KDX_Hybrid_by_HRDROKN.pdf<<<

I will keep this link running as long as I can but there are no guarantees.

Thanks for your info HRDROKN.

Great idea!!!

:cool:

Biggles

~SPONSOR~
Aug 10, 2012
New to the forum

Awesome work on the pdf, last night I sourced a 03 125 with a seized motor and have a 97 200 motor under the work bench. Project about to start....

A quick question - the motor has no carb. Will the 125 one suitable or is it not big enough????? If not, what carb is best for a 200

bionnick

Oct 21, 2012
this may be a silly question but why use the kdx engine and not just use a kx engine?, is it because the kx engine would need rebuilds more often. very nice build by the way.

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
Joburble said:
No, it's because the KDX engine is a stunningly versatile powerplant, which incidently happens to be low maintenance.

Exactly!

No expert, but I would think it would be more work to tune a KX into a fair trail motor than a KDX into an awsome trail motor!

This motor will literally lug down on the verge of compression stall and pull out...

:laugh:

Biggles

~SPONSOR~
Aug 10, 2012
bionnick said:
this may be a silly question but why use the kdx engine and not just use a kx engine?, is it because the kx engine would need rebuilds more often. very nice build by the way.

From my perspective
- looked at a 144 kit and for the $ plus the difference in HP compared to a std 200 it didn't stack up
- 200 is just about the perfect motor for me vet/unfit/fat *******
- couldn't afford a new orange 200
- the KDX/KX swap is straight forward
- mine should cost less than $2K with just about everything new/reco'd

Curlyn5

Mar 8, 2013
Hybrid Build

Hows the build going? I have a ton of question considering I am thinking about doing the same thing with my 2000, 200. Like is there much modification to the 125 frame motor mounts?

HRDROKN said:
Hey Guys...

I just wanted to share with you all my 99' KX125 / 03' KDX220 build. This build is in progress and comments are welcome!

I had picked up a fairly clean 2003 KDX 220R a few months back for $900. I had been riding this bike comparing it to my 300exc... if there is such a thing. There are a few things I like about the KDX and many things I like about the KTM! The KDX is easy to ride... the KTM can be a handful and I feel it the next day, but she handles so much better at speed. So rather than my original plan of a KX fork conversion etc. I picked up a 99' KX125 for the best of both worlds? Of course that is only what I have read...

Biggles

~SPONSOR~
Aug 10, 2012
Curlyn5 said:
Hows the build going? I have a ton of question considering I am thinking about doing the same thing with my 2000, 200. Like is there much modification to the 125 frame motor mounts?

If you have a peep at my thread -Another damn kdx/kx hybrid it's pretty straight forward. you need to machine the swing arm and cut out the original engine mounts and make/weld some new ones. I was surprised how straight forward it was. I didn't need to dent the pipe or anything. It's like the 03 frame was made for the motor, even down to no mods needed for the tank. Hrdrkn has done a good job detailing the process and depending on what frame you get just read a few threads and go for it. The biggest mistake I made was to buy the wrong silencer :laugh:

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
Curlyn5 said:

Build is done.... love it!

All your questions should get resolved as you read through the builds posted...

HRDROKN

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2010
Not riding much anymore... have 10 or less rides on bike and she is still in great shape!

$3500

Top Bottom