pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Saw your reply for salrosa and I have a couple of questions for you.Your KDX I believe from some of your other posts is the F version.I have a SR version which is a jap import.I think yours runs with the small carb same as mine.My bore is past its best with the plating flacking off.I have been told I cannot run with a Wiseco piston or the R piston but have to use the SR piston because the port timing is different.What did you do?? Ive been thinking about a resleeve to get it to the R spec cylinder,but I am interested to hear what you have done and how much bigger in the bore have you gone.Thanks.

KDX200fromAUS

Jul 26, 2006
Hi, yeh my 91 200 has been resleeved before i bought it, it had a 66.5???mm piston but no compression, so i purchased a wiseco 67mm to suit and rings and done it myself, just got the bore honed to fit first. I have two sizes left before another resleeve.

Also replaced all the powervalve setup, all but the activator shaft were snapped. Crank seals, countershaft seals, all the swingarm etc. And man is this thing a weapon, I absolutely love it now.....if anyone out there thinks yours is a bit lacking, check the powervalves and top end, freshen em up and hold on.

One thing to add, through experience with with wiseco in the past, MAKE SURE YOU RUN THE BIKE IN FOR A GOOD HALF HOUR at least, avoid lots of throttle for long periods of time, especially in high gears, generally stay in around 2nd- 3rd, just on and off the throttle , run the bike with plenty of oil in the pre-mix for the first tank too. Wiseco will nip up if you dont treat them right.

Any more questions ? just ask mate....good luck

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Are you using the smaller carb?Im tempted to use the normal piston as they are cheaper than the SR piston and the SR piston only comes in std size.I talked to one engine builder and He said he didnt know of any difference in the port timing between the two other than pipe mountings.

KDX200fromAUS

Jul 26, 2006
Yes, smaller carb is fitted.

Pipe mountings are different, I purchased an FMF pipe and it has lugs for springs but no bolt holes, so just made a flange to bolt to engine and drilled holes in it to add springs aswell.

Basically just measure your cylinder and find a piston that will fit it after a hone, the difference in price couldnt be too much anyways.

Top Bottom