KDX220 feels bigger than KDX200 ??

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
First ,,, I know that I'm sounding like an idiot to ask this question.

We have an 06 KDX-200 and an 05 KDX-2220.
I know the specs of the two bikes are identical except
for the cyl., head and piston.

We have the same set up on each bike , exact Renthal bars,
wheel base , seat height , ect.
For some reason the 220 feels like a bigger bike when riding it.

As I'm typing this , I wonder if the different colors of the bikes are giving this illusion as the 200 has a black front and rear fender.

I had my son ride the bikes back to back today and he came back
saying that the 200 seems lighter and more flickable.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I'd say it has more to do with the power delivery than anything else. The 200 will rev harder and faster, whereas the 220 will feel more like a 4 stroke. That's that only think I could possibly think of mate. I haven't ridden a 220 personally so I have no first hand experience though

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
I would say that there could be several factors at work here.

Suspension set up could, and probably does, make the difference. Are you running the same shock springs with the same sag? What about the preload/sag for the front? Are the clicker settings the same on both bikes? Are the forks the same height in the clamps on both bikes?

What about the tires? I have never weighed my tires, but I know that some tires are heavier than others. The gyroscopic effect of a heavier tire and tube would likely be felt when comparing two identical bikes.

Last, and certainly not the least, dont underestimate the power of the placebo effect.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Maybe somebody put on a bigger seat pad. I did that with my KDX and a GUTS seat and custom cover. It added about an inch (and is nice and comfy).

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
I totally understand the placebo effect and am still scratching my head.
I've measured the seat height , ride height , ect and can't come
up with an answer.

My son likes the 220's motor but really likes that his 200 seems so
much lighter.

I guess thats how we'll leave it for now. Just ride em !

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
What pipe is on the 220? It may be the better low end of the 200 that makes it feel lighter and a shade more responsive.

Put a 200 rev/desert pipe on the 220, which acts like a woods/torque pipe when you put it on the 220, and they may feel the same again.

If you want top end terror, get a KTM 520 or something... I like the torque tuning on a nice KDX woods bike.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
They both have a Pro-Circuit Platinum 2.
Even in the tight woods , the 200 likes the PC pipe
much better than a Gnarly.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
EYY said:
I'd say it has more to do with the power delivery than anything else. The 200 will rev harder and faster, whereas the 220 will feel more like a 4 stroke. That's that only think I could possibly think of mate. I haven't ridden a 220 personally so I have no first hand experience though

I believe your correct on this . I rode them both last night and the
200 with all our gradual mods over the last few years has become
the dominant bike when it comes to quick revs , great handling and snappy power.
That definitely gives the bike a lighter feel.
The 220 still has decent power but is much more sluggish , which in
turn makes the bike feel heavy. :nod:

Top Bottom