KDX220 vs CRF250X vs WR250

Discussion in 'Canadian Daves JustKDX' started by darrylabrown, Mar 13, 2006.

1. darrylabrown

darrylabrown Member

I know this has probably been debated to death..... However, I have narrowed my bike search down to three bikes:

I am 38 years old, got my first bike last year KLR650, weight 160, will be riding trails mostly, lots of mud & hills.

1) KDX220 2001 like new $3500 CDN
    2) WR250 2006 brand new $6400 CDN
    3) CRF250X 2006 brand new $6900 CDN

I would love to have the money to just go buy the CRF and be done with the choice. I think the KDX is a good choice for the riding I will be doing, maintenance, etc.

There is only one of the three bikes for sale in the used market right now. I think the KDX is priced a little high.

What do you guys think? I am not scared of changing valve shims, or replacing a top end.

Thanks

2. StuckinJersey

StuckinJersey Pro Class

Well it's tough to compare these 3 bikes since the last 2 are four strokers.
    Maybe this will help you decision making. I have ridden a 2004 WR250 and a 2005
    CRF250 and both were fun but the power was weak when the woods got tight and you had to really
    slam the motor to get performance out of her (now this was stock so I'm sure with mod's
    it's alot better.). The KDX is already setup for the woods better than both bike stock IMO
    and with the price tag allows you to make many more upgrades to her. I think if you do a little
    surfing as well you can find a cheaper KDX then the one you have listed. Remember that you can get a new one for 4000 so I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for a used one. Good Luck with it.

3. GabeM

GabeM Novice

you need to consider that the WR and CRF-X are modern bikes and will have a much lighter feel to them. I rode a CRF450X and loved it because of the light feel it had. The seat is more MX like and allows you to slide back and forth with ease, this gave me more confidence in the turns. All that being said, I'm still on a KDX.
    I also think the KDX is an awesome woods bike from the go. I just bought my son a 99 KDX220R that has the original tires for $2K
    Consider other things like cost of maintenance, a piston can be done for around $110. and in a few hours with minimal tools. Not so cheap or easy on a 4-stroke.
    Good luck and I suggest you keep looking for a better deal in green.

4. darrylabrown

darrylabrown Member

Thanks for the input. It is a little early here in the bike season, snowed last night.

I guess I am just a little too eager :aj:

After driving, crashing, sinking the KLR, I am leaning towards the green one.

Anyone else have a big KLR?

5. rubbersidedown

rubbersidedown Pro Class

6. crazybrit

crazybrit Novice

Hey. darryl. I have a 96 KLR650 also. Same age as you (38) though I've been riding for 16 years.

I just got a KDX220 (1998) 2 weeks ago. I wanted cheap (max $2000) as I'm not an experienced dirt rider and figured the new street bike advice applied equally to dirt bikes, that something already well depreciated isn't going to significantly lose value even if I do stupid things to it.

A friend who has a KTM 250EXC (used to have a WR400) recommended I look at 200EXC 2-stroke if I wasn't going to get electric start (hard to find in the $2k price range). Also less maintenance though he was comparing his WR to the EXC, I'm sure an air cooled 4/s would be low maint also.

To me the main advantage of the KDX is that you can get a ~2000 era bike with low hours for less than $2k. It's still recognised as a great woods bike and it weighs only 220 pounds (other 4strokes in the $2k range were much heavier). I figure light is good.

That CRF looks like a killer bike, but too much $$$ for me. Plus I'd always wanted a 2smoke.

Tony

7. krazyinski

krazyinski Pro Class

I just traded my DR650 for a 2000 kdx 220 and one of my good friends rides a 2004 WR250 with all the mods done. the WR is a world class bike it will go as fast as the rider. The stock suspension is very plush it does take a bit of jetting and tuning to get it right . my KDX has a fredette built motor with porting and milling done to it as well as carb bored and FMF pipe revalved and re sprung suspension. I love this bike it is just the smoothest fastest ride in the woods I have ever been on and for the price you cant beat it. In muddy conditions I walk all over the WR and as far as climbing what ever you have the nerve to do the KDX will be spot on every time . oh!! I am 42 years old when not on the bike.

8. Green Hornet

Green Hornet Pro Champ

Take a look at the CRF450X
    Neat bike, with Head light, tail light
    Looks like fun

9. darrylabrown

darrylabrown Member

Last year I took the KLR out on a very wet weekend. The trails were very wet with big pools of water. I found the KLR worked best driving straight through the pools. Ankle deep-- no problem. Knee high -- no problem. Then came the waist high. The front tire slid with the drop and plop the bike was gone execpt for the right handgrip. We got the bike up and towed it out. I opened up the air box and out come the chocolate milk water. The K&N filter held out all water. Rinsed the filter and did it start, you bet, ran all day and the next.

I don't know if all bikes would have done that, but the Kawasaki KLR650 is an awsome bike, just a little too big for swimming though.

Has anyone submerged a KDX in water? Did she start?

10. StuckinJersey

StuckinJersey Pro Class

Oh man totally sunk my KDX when I was riding up a shallow river that had a nice 4x4 area that went from ankle deep to chest deep. One minute I'm riding next thing I know I'm sitting on the bike up to my neck in water. We ended up putting it upside down, taking the plug out and using the kick starter as a hand pump to get the water out of the piston area. Man but I have to say we did that for about 10 minutes, put a new plug in and she started up. Had to rev the thing hard to get everything cleaned out but ran fine the rest of the day.