KDX220 won't idle when warm

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Lemmy

Let me know where you ended up on jetting your bike. I have the CEL in the 2nd clip position, 38 pilot, and 155 main. The airscrew is out about 1.75 turns, and it screams. Most of the posts I've read make reference to running this similar set up in the 3rd clip position, but mine is too rich at this setting, bogs from mid-range and up. I think that it is because I have the boyeson power reeds versus the stock reeds.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
It has been raining every day here so I haven't been able to ride. I was planning on starting with CEL in 3rd clip, 38 pilot and 155 main though. I have the power reeds as well so I might end up in the 2nd position too. I'll definitely post here when I get to ride (hopefully this weekend).

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Good deal Lemmy. I had the 38 / CEL / 155 set up as described, and tweaked the air screw for the best off throttle response. I rode with my son for a while, basically idling around, and learned that the 38 pilot is too large I believe given my bike's configuration. It took a couple of WOT's to purge what seems to be excess fuel from the circuitry to bring it back to life. I dropped in a 35 pilot, which seems to have resolved the issue.

There is 1 issue with this prob. When winding the bike out through the gears, the last 1/8 inch of throttle it kind of blah blahs a little and then it continues to wind. In the AM when it was cool (higher air density), this wasn't an issue, but it reached about 70-72 in the afternoon, it got more pronounced. The 155 main might be too large for riding temps above 65 F, but fine for temps below 65 F. When I did my plug chops a little while back, the 152 main was deemed to be ideal, but I've chosen to run it with a 155. I'll toy around with it for the balance of the week and then settle in at the best set up for me.

What plug are you running in your bike? Im using the NGK BR8ES. In another discussion thread, I read where Canadian Dave mentioned moving down to a BR7ES and then setting up the bike accordingly. Just curious.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I am running a BR8ES. I know you are in North Carolina, but what part are you in to have gotten 70-72 weather recently?

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
We've been in central GA for the holidays, it was in the 70's most of the time, even hit 80 on Saturday - hot for this time of year. At this temp, I dropped my main back to 152, it wasn't crisp at the top, and then to 150, very nice.

I'm probably going to hit Brushy on Tues., and then may take the family down to Carolina Adventure for some camping this weekend, weather permitting. Given that it will be cooler up here, I will probably bring the main back up to 152 or 55. Earlier last week in GA when it was cold, it ran fairly well with the 155 main (mid 40's).

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Just pull the plug on the bottom, then use a 6mm socket to unscrew the main. Just be careful on the retighten, the main jet doesn't need to be torqued too much - fragile parts down there.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
dansavage said:
Lemmy

Let me know where you ended up on jetting your bike. I have the CEL in the 2nd clip position, 38 pilot, and 155 main. The airscrew is out about 1.75 turns, and it screams. Most of the posts I've read make reference to running this similar set up in the 3rd clip position, but mine is too rich at this setting, bogs from mid-range and up. I think that it is because I have the boyeson power reeds versus the stock reeds.

I finally got in a good ride on my bike yesterday. I have a CEL in #3, 38 Pilot, 152 main with air screw 1.75 turns and it ran great. I still have idling problems though. The entire time I rode, the idle was fairly low and I had to adjust the idle screw all the way in just to get it to idle with in N. However fortunately it wasn't like before where if I pointed it uphill it idled high and if I pointed it downhill it idled low. So hopefully that issue is resolved. I got the bike back home, washed it off and started it up and the idle was probably 5000 RPMs or higher. I had to kill it and adjust the idle screw back out. I checked the idle all over the mountain and even in the parking lot (which is the same elevation as my house) and it idled at about 1800-2000 RPMs. Didn't touch anything but when I got home it was WAY too high. But the throttle response while riding was great.

Top Bottom