dansf100

Sep 5, 2009
Hey everyone. I'm new to the site. I have a 1981 KDX420 and I've done a complete teardown on it. I've got it 90% rebuilt but am having an issue with a couple things. I was really hoping that somebody out there might have a 420 that they could help me out with as this is the first bike I've ever done this kind of work to. I'm trying to get the electrical back into place and working again, but I can't seem to figure out all the little pieces that go into the coil assembly. It's got the coil and some other hardware that all bolt onto the frame just below the fuel tank, but I could really use some help on how it all re-assembles. If anyone might be willing to offer up a picture of theirs it would really help me out. I've got the original owners manual and a Clymer manual for it as well, and I've even been using the MicroFiche schematics for reference, but they just don't cover all the small parts that are with the coil. Has anybody got a pic out there that they could send so I can get this thing in the dirt before the summers gone. I would really appreciate it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Only a guess here, is this a "points and condensor" rather than a CDI? After looking at the parts fiche I'm lost. The stator apears to have a two wire hook up, one wire thru an eyelet on the upper part of the pickup coil and the other attached to the stator plate near the bottom. As for which wires hook to the igniter is unclear.

Last edited:

dansf100

Sep 5, 2009
You'll have to forgive my limited knowledge of the workings of a motorcycle here, I'm a car man by trade but this is the first bike I've done any work to, so I'm not sure which one it is. I'm guessing that it's a CDI because it has a module mounted to the head tube behind the headlight and front plastic that says CDI on it. I'm actually not too worried about the wiring at the moment since Kawasaki was good enough to make only a few colored wires in the harness and I kept pretty good track of those. I'm actually in need of knowing how the coil module itself bolts up to the frame and what parts it uses to do that. I have a handful of nuts, bolts, collars, and misc things that I seem to remember being a part of that assembly, but I just can't seem to get them back together in a way that makes sense.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Have you looked at the parts blowup on the Kawasaki site? It gives an overall exploded view, might help you decide what parts you have/where they go.

dansf100

Sep 5, 2009
I just pulled up the actual Kawasaki site parts diagrams. They do help a bit, hopefully enough to get this thing done.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
im prrrretty there was a kdx 450 Not a 420 i have the (kx420)
my bike had the cdi, but i cant say for the kdx,as it has a lighting unit, no points on it, it will have the external rotor ,or internal rotor and a cdi unit
the cdi box on mine is under the front number plate, coil under the tank
check out the fiche on it ,and check ebay for a original manual!! i got for mine!!
cant believe it well worth the memories, its like new as well

Top Bottom