mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
OK since I am having some down time
I have a second question

the kick starter on this 2000 yz 250 I have , it moves about extremely freely, going from riding position to starting pisition almost at will, is there any way to snug it up without having to replace the whole unit!

I imagine I could for safety sake add a small bungie cord or likes to help keep it from coming out while riding
I do not race, just trail riding, and to date it hasn't been a problem, but its getting looser it seems so??

any way to snug it up, I have never taken one off or apart so just don't know

looking on an OEN parts screen I see parts inside but don't know if they will help if replaced or if they fall out when removing and are a little work to get back in

thanks again guys!

~03'yz125~

Jul 22, 2012
I have the same problem on my 2003 yz125, it wiggles around while riding and rattles...quite annoying. Have you figured out how to fix it yet? I have no idea how....

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
well I have been using a very small bungee cord to kep it in place, as without it will open right up and get in the way off jumps, making things hairy at times

I was hoping for some help , thus posting here, but as you can see NO one has made any help for me on this
and cannot justify buying a whole new kick starter to correct if thats what's needed

wish I had better help , but didn't get any myself

if you find out please let me know

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You need a whole new kickstarter. There is a ball and spring that detents in hole when it is folded all the way in or in the starting position. The detents is what keeps it in position. The path between the 2 holes can get worn down and it won't hold it in either position. There is no way to repair it.

When you get a new one, remove the starter arm from the pivot and grease it with a good grease. It comes with hardly any from the factory.

mrbb

Aug 26, 2010
OK here is what I found from some one

and here is also what I did,
I removed my kickstarter, and found that the inside of the thing where the small ball is, had worn a deep groove into the metal, so I got some JB weld, and filled in the groove, then sanded it till it was Snug and a tight fit on the post for it, I ordered these parts too, as the spring in mine was not doing anything I tried to stretch it, but doesn't seem to do much, and also I have excessive wear on up down , so will be trying two O rings to help that, but just filling in that groove made a world of difference, it stays in riding position now, just rocks front to back,. but no longer turns out as if to start with me doing it

First try getting parts numbers 19, 20, 21, 22 ( off the OEM kick starter page for parts) and this should help the kick starter and if they don’t help you will have to get the complete assembly. or do the JB weld like I did
not sure how long the JB weld will hold uop, but its a simplke fast easy fix even if I have to do again!, as I am sure part of my problem is both post and kick starter are worn and a new one is correct way to fix, but can live with it as is for sure

here are a few pic's you can see the groove and my post

022-7.jpg

015-13.jpg

008-16.jpg

Top Bottom