Kickstarter not grabbing and clutch acting wierd

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
I just got an 88' CR250R from a friend 2 weeks ago, and it was in good condition except for 2 things.

The kickstarter only grabs sometimes, and if it doesnt the only thing I can do it bring it up to the top and push down alittle to see if it did grab. I have no idea where to even begin to start on fixing that.

The clutch is also wierd, it will only work after the engine has been running for about 2-3 minutes. I also have no idea what to do for that.

I'll take any advice you have, since I hope to remedy these problems by mid-Feburary cause it gets warm enough to ride.

BSM501990

Dec 9, 2004
hey i got a 86 cr500 and my kick start is kinda out to . but if you and i are lucky. there is a spring that pushes another gear to mesh and if its warn out its not engaging the gear all the way and it will slip on it and wont turn the engine over. and for the clutch. well i just adjusted the cable on the clutch out. but you may need a new cable or somthing els for the clutch system. but im going to stick with jumping the bike in second for now. and then fix the kicker over the summer some time. i doubt ill get around to it over christmass brake. good luck..

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Long Island....

I dont think the cable is the problem, because the clutch works but needs to be "warmed up". About the kickstarter, where is this spring in the bike? Is there anywhere online to buy a replacement?

Where in CT are you? Mabye we could ride sometime if you dont mind riding with a slow 14 (almost 15) year old.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
go to your local motorcyccle shop or dealer and pick up a repair manual and that will show you how to tear down your bike and investigate what is wrong.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
You have two pretty simple issues. The kickstarter problem is the kick assembly. I had a '86 CR250 that had the same issue, I also had a '89 CR250 with the same issue (still have) and have a '97 CR250 with the same issue. All three I've replaced the springs and did not fix, it is the shaft. You can repair the shaft or replace it.

The clutch issue problem is it is sticking! What type of oil are you running? Also, you could consider replacing the clutch fibers and that usally does the trick, but let me know the oil type. Sometimes it is as simple as running a diffrent type of oil.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
acanz said:
Already have the book.... I couldnt find anything specific to my problems.

really, well then when you take off your right crankcase cover and take out the kickstarter assembly you will find that on the kickstarter assembly there will be a gear with a gear mesh on the side of it and another gear mesh that is pressed against it by a spring, if the teeth on the gear meshes are rounded and worn then replace them, if they are not worn then buy a new spring or try and preload the old one with some washers or something. I hope that makes sense and helps alittle. For the clutch problem try using different gear oils, i use ATF type F and havent had any problems, if that dosent help then tear into the clutch and check that all plates and disks are within the recommended tolerances.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
So here's a funny story (well, maybe not).

About 15 or 20 years ago I owned a Bultaco 250MX. I bought it as a teenager, from a local farmer who used it to herd sheep or something I guess. It actually looked in pretty decent condition, and being a naive young kid I never did anything much to service it. Anyway, it had this annoying habit of the clutch slipping like crazy for about the first 10-15 minutes of riding, after which time it would finally 'grab'. I never bothered investigating..

I sold it to another local kid a couple of years later. One day he comes up to me and says "Did the clutch ever act funny?" I say, "Why do you ask?". He says, "Well, the transmission was mostly dry except for a few ounces of dirty water..!"

;)

-pace

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Im not sure what oil is in it, the previous owner didnt tell me and I only rode it twice for about 2 hours total so I havent changed it yet.

To figure out if the kickstarter assembly is the problem, what should I check for?

Top Bottom