How should we divide the kids MX race classes?

• By age- under 10/11 and up

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • by bike size- 65(100cc 4 stroke)/85cc(150 4 stroke)

• By age and bike size (some 65s will kick butt over the 85s)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • By stated skill level- beginner/advanced

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • By dads testoserone level/mom's fear level

• By can or can't beat Gomer (poking stick allowed)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Any other criteria- please specify

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Every year we have the problem of deciding how to set up the kids MX classes. We have 2 time/trophy (unless Thump forgets again this year to only award top 3 :confused: ) slots to do it.
Need your input to make it both fun and competitive for the little ones.

We figure there will be ages 6 to 13 (14?) entered on everything from 50s to 125 TTRs and all skill levels. How do we divide them up?
Be aware also that any kids racing an adult MX race will not be eligible in the kids race. :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well, I would suggest 2-stroke/4-stroke classes because a XR70 just can't compete with a KX or SX 65. Maybe 2 & 4-stroke auto clutch (covers the xr50, xr70, pw50, pw80, ttr90, rm/klx110, sx50), 4-stroke clutch (xr80/100/150, ttr-125, rm/klx125) and 2-stroke clutch (kx60/65/85, cr80, yz80). The age thing is almost taken care of by the type of bike.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Feedback is appreciated! We are in a bind to get this figured-out.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I think (no, really, I do!) ...I think:

Kids 50: 50cc
Kid's B: 80cc and below beginners (up to 125 4 stroke)
Kid's A: 100cc and below advanced (up to 150 4 stroke)

I like keeping the 50s away from the bigger bikes and since the speed difference between a begiiner on an 80 and a fast kid on an 80 can be so big, I think it would work well to separate them.

Whew! That thinkin is hard stuff!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think Gomer's got in NAILED!

50cc - 50cc 2-strk or 4-strk (kids only - sorry JP :confused: )
Kids B - 85cc (125cc 4-strk) and under - beginner
Kids A - 105cc (150cc 4-strk) and under - advanced

No 50cc's in Kids A or B. And the same kid can't race Kids A and Kids B.

And I think it would be cool if Kids A raced on the big track!

Dave - I like your rule on if you race an Adult MX class, then no youth too.

BAT

~SPONSOR~
Oct 21, 2002
I like following the A and B idea through on the races, just as it was done for the adults. A and B for all groupings 50's, 65's, 80's. The A class for 80's I think would enjoy the big track. Depending on what shows there could be a 4-stroke class for pw80, ttr90, rm/klx110.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
too many classes.
How many classes are you thinking?
I think safety is the number one priority but I don't see a way to maintain a reasonable margin of safety without adding additional classes. How long are the motos going to be?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by oldguy
Be aware also that any kids racing an adult MX race will not be eligible in the kids race. :thumb:

Proof read edit by Jeff;
By "not eligible" are you talking about awards in the kids class?

Again this may just be a safety issue but... last year Tigger raced the kids mx and though she didn't finish last, she did finish. The thrill of her week of riding was the womens open, which she didn't finish last in either. It was her 1st time to ever race and if any of the other kids are anything like her the thrill will be from riding on the big track. If given a choice to ride only / either the big track with the women or beginner vs the kids race on the small track, she will tell without flinching that you can have the little track, she wants to ride with the adults. I was a little curious how she would handle not getting a trophy last year racing the womens after getting the cool PC backpack for entering the kids race, for her it was a no brainer, a sence of accomplishment was worth far more than the backpack.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Please read Gomer's post. That's how I think it should be done.
Are we to put a fast 50 kid in with slower 80 riders? The number one priority IS to maintain safety. Number two is to have fun. There is no number 3. If Jr. won't have fun unless he's in a class with all slower riders, then Jr. won't have fun.

A & B for 50's 65's and 80's is 6 motos (unless I read the post wrong and the intention is to run A/B together, which is what I suggest). I really can't see where the problem is running the 50's, 65's and 80's all together... meaning all 50's in one moto, all 65's in one moto, etc. The 80's can run on the big track if they like. 3 motos.

PW50's and 80's run with the 50's , RM/KLX 110's, TTR90's with the 65's and 4 Stroke mini's (ie; TTR 125's CRF150's) run with the 80's .... is there a better way?

All we are trying to do is control the closure rate between bikes. There are always going to be slower riders. As long as we keep the bikes even and the age close, we are being safe. We had only two Jr. classes last year, if I recall, everyone survived it.

Let's keep in mind, this, like the big kid classes is for fun. I do not want DW to turn into another typical race weekend. If there's a fast kid on a 50, he/she will win the moto. So be it. This is not to say BigLou can enter on his hot-rod fiddy.

Every year, one of the biggest issues seems to be setting up the classes and what each class means at DW. Deciding what classes there are and what one to be in (grown-ups and kids) shouldn't be a big deal. Are we going to start having School Boy, 25, +35, 125's A,B & C, 250 A,B & C?

There's no money involved, there are no points. It's for fun.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Jeff I guess the rule on kids in adult classes may end up fly by the seat of the pants. I don't want to discourage a rider like tigger from racing the womens but also don't want to see a a case where a 13 yr old can trophy in both B adult and kids. The kids races are set up for the smaller, slower riders to give them fun /competitive track time with others of their level.
I guess I am approaching it from the level of my son last year- he was 14 so eligable for kids races but he would not have had fun racing them and for safety reasons didn't belong out there with them.
I think it was motodawgs son who also was eligable and not knowing the level of competition he dropped out after the first moto when he realized he was that much faster ( I applaud his decision) Kids who are jumping the tabletops race with adults.
The womens B class is a different animal then the mens classes in that none will be jumping big obstacles and loosing sight of the smaller bikes (no offence intended ladies- just what I feel is a valid observation). The men's classes get a bit competitve and dangerous (I was a perfect example) for 65s to be out there.
Long story short Tigger could race both womens B and kids- but only trophy in one.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Dave we are kind of in the same spot as Jeff talked about with tigger. I haven't signed up for any races yet as I was unsure what to do for Troy. Dirtweek will essentially be the first time he gets any seat time on his new 125 so he was talking about doing the Junior MX as well as B Class(only because of the rules that if you race you run B class). I guess we will play it by ear and see what the level of junior riders is when we get to DW?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Chili
He would have to have his 80 along for the kids races. From past years I don't think he would have alot of competition. This is a good weekend for kids who are new to MX but have ridden woods before or just never ventured onto a MX track before to get their feet wet.
See how he adapts to the 125 after a couple days of steady seat time. He amy well be a B rider.
As I said before there will be a lot of judgemnet Skill level calls that week and we will depend on the riders and parents to make honest assessments.

OKIE is it necesary to enter already or will it be like last year with entries availablee until Fri afternoon?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Okay Oldguy, you & I are on the same page. Kids that race in more than one class are only eligible to trophy in one, even Tigger says it's the only fair thing to do. She also doesn't expect to trophy in either, that's not the reason she wants to race in both classes anyway.

Okie, the way I read Gomer's post is much more simple than the way you repeated it, sorry. :)
I think it says
race 1: 50cc
race 2: over 50cc beginner
race 3: over 50cc advanced

3 races, all seperate, I think that would work very well. I don't see a need for any more than these 3 classes but I do think they should all be ran seperate, not combining beginner & advanced in the same moto. Your thoughts please.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I very well may have misread it...

So we leave it to the parents to tell us which class their kid fits in (beginner or advanced)? As long as everyone understands the difference between those two, it's all good.

I hope we don't end up with only 1 advanced rider.

DAVE all we have to do right now is come to an agreement on the actual classes. They can sign-up as late as Friday.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
There's no money involved, there are no points. It's for fun.
Maybe not money, but the bike washes in a tutu has to count for sumthin :laugh:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
So we leave it to the parents to tell us which class their kid fits in (beginner or advanced)? As long as everyone understands the difference between those two, it's all good.

I hope we don't end up with only 1 advanced rider.

I hope that the members of DRN will show intregity when it comes to the kids races. You can take it to the bank that if Tigger displays the performance of an advanced rider that she'll be in the appropriate class. This isn't our 1st DW so we both know it's not about winning races, it's much more than that.

btw, if there is only one advance rider signed up, Tigger will race in that class instead :p
cough...cough....cherry picker..cough :laugh:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Haley is in the same boat as Tigger. She rode her 100 with the older kids, stalled a few times and finished well back. She also rode with the women, same deal, but had a blast. The biggest problem with her is she looks like an adult sitting on the bike. Riding the 100 though, there is no way she can ride in the kids B class against P-Dubs.

I intended to sign her up for the kid's A (she'll finish close to last) or 10/11 and up.

I don't really care a lot, just want her to be able to ride as much as possible and, like Okie said, have fun. :thumb:

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I don't have any kids racing but I think the classes should be divided up by bike size. With people coming from all over it would be hard to tell what group to put them in, plus its safer i think. 50cc, 60cc, and 80-100cc.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i'll put kendall in the kids advanced class too. last year, she did okay in the womens class but got smoked in the kids class.

maybe the advanced class will be haley, tigger and kendall. :cool:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
couple other of points to consider.

how many total kids racing at dirtweek?

seems last yr the little track gate was pretty full.

the key like everybody says is to keep similar speed riders together whatever they are riding.

if there are 30 kids maybe we need another class.
ala A,B, and C.

Top Bottom