One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I'm looking to buy one of these bikes and would humbly request any input from your experiences. I'm 41 yrs old have been riding since I was a youngin'. Rode mostly 2-strokes.

I ride mainly tight wooded trails with sugar sand base and some tricky tight hills in northwest Florida. I'm a proficient rider (195lb. 5'8") but have slowed way down in my later years
smile.gif
. Had a yz250 last (now have a few quads till junior gets bigger) and it was plenty fast.

I know the DRZ and TTR have e-buttons but that is not a big issue, I want a bike easy to ride in the conditions that won't tire my old butt out.

Thanks

jonesy

Jan 31, 2000
Have you given any thought to maybe a 400 instead of a 250? The extra cc's make a world of difference. As for weight, I am 5'7" 175lbs and ride a DRZ400e with no problems. From all I have heard and read, the xr400 and the drz400 are the best in tight woods and technical hills. If your heart is set on a smaller bike, the wr250 is light-years ahead of the rest.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
One Dollar,

I have a '00 KLX that I'm looking to sell. Email me if you're interested, I'm in AL and would meet you halfway (ec200rider@yahoo.com).

------------------
Tim, '99EC200, '01TXT200, '00KLX300R (For sale)

jdrobins

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2000
I am 37 and went thru this decision a couple of weeks ago, I ended up with the DRZ400 (Kick). The choices had dwindled down to a KLX or the DRZ, I do not regret my decision one bit. It had been 15 years since I had been on a dirt bike and the DRZ handles great, I posted several times on DRN while I was looking, and the great folks gave me great advise, Listen to thier recommendations, then if possible try to ride each of your choices before you buy.

Jim

------------------
'00 DRZ400

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Thanks for the replies. The main reasons I want to go for the 300 or 250 is lighter weight and lower price. My style of riding does not warrent the 400. With my wife riding a 125 and son on a 40cc quad I will be doing alot of very slow trails for a long time.

The 250's or 300 are plenty powerful for what I intend to use them for, I feel a 400 would be wasted money, power and weight that I really don't need. I don't race and after all this is Florida, there are no huge mountainous hills to attack
smile.gif

I want a very forgiving easy to ride trail thumper. I am kind of leaning toward the KLX from what I have read and rode one last weekend and just loved the low seat hight, handling and weight, and yes it had more than enough power for me. And contrary to what I've read, it was not hard to start, hot (I stalled it on the trail).

Lemming, I'll get in touch.

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
I'm 5'6" and 145 pounds. My dad has a KLX 300 and it is a great bike. Alittle hard to start but it has great handiling and for what you ride in i think its perfict
cool.gif

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I am 44 and just went through this process. I am in California and wanted a green bike and bought the KLX because it was light and I could make it street legal. Looked at WR 426 and it was too much for me on the trails. Looked at the DRZ-s and it was too heavy. The KLX was just right. I do not regret my choice.

Goldie Locks

dirt boy

Mar 18, 2001
love my new 2001 drz400!
I'm 41 and went up from a maxed outxr300
white power forks and shock, with all the
motor mods and my new drz does not feel any heavier

KLX300A5L

Feb 2, 2001
Buy the KLX300,I'm 44 years old,been riding since 1968 and love mine. What a great bike for the tight woods.
Light weight,excellent brakes,plush suspension,very smooth and "tractable" power,great fuel economy,and here's the kicker,an affordable price. My green machine has surprised many a rider on the supposedly "superior" 400's. And don't buy into the again supposedly hard starting of the KLX.1st or 2nd kick when cold or hot,like any 4-stroke ,there is a technique.

KLX

kevkon

Sponsoring Member
Feb 20, 2001
I am a 42 yr old rider who just purchased a 2001 KLX and I love it. The bike is responsive in the woods and fun to ride. I also thought about the suzuki, the extra weight, height, and price made me choose the klx. So far, I have absolutely no regrets.
It is true that the bike is a hard starter,
but only until you get the proceedure down.
Now it is a two kick starter and with the terry cable hotstart restarting is easy.

Kevkon

86KDX200

Jul 20, 1999
I also recently bought a DRZ400. I chose the bigger bike because of my area and style. The DRZ also comes in a 250. I had a choice between the KLX or DRZ and went with Suzuki. Nothing wrong with Green, Suzuki just was the better choice in my situation. The DRZ250 is just as good a bike as the 400. Good luck!

------------------
Paul J. Carter
peejtrav@hotmail.com

TKH-KTM

Apr 8, 2001
Ever think about going back to a 2 stroke? KDX220R would be a great bike for you from what I hear... One of the best woods bikes ever made..

------------------
2001 KTM 200EXC,
XR250L and XT350

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Thought about it...for about 2 seconds
smile.gif

Tired of the carb hassles and pre-mixing and clutch work and annoying tone
smile.gif

Went and picked up a 2000 KLX from Lemming (thanks Tim!) Love the bike (see thread KLX300 ride)

The bike is awsome for me and has all the modifications I would have wanted.

------------------
2000 KLX300R(pic)
2000 Polaris Trail Blazer(wifes ride)(pic)
2000 Polaris Trail Blazer(for Sale)***(pic)
2000 E-ton Rascal-(Juniors ride) (pic)

Top Bottom