DOUG MASSEY

Jun 4, 2016
We just bought my son a used 2002 KLX300R today. The bike ran fine as we tested it. After we got home he rode it for about 15 miles and the bike started to cut off when clutch was pulled during stopping. Seems like it ran fine as long as the throttle was active. The last time it happened it wouldn't crank for about an hour. I was able to get home but like I said once the clutch is pulled in bike stops running. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
These engines are prone to having the valve clearance tighten up causing starting issues, especially when warm. Given it's age, I'd check the valve clearance, along with the condition of the clutch basket and inner clutch hub. Excessive grooving of the basket could also cause the problem you are describing.

DOUG MASSEY

Jun 4, 2016
These engines are prone to having the valve clearance tighten up causing starting issues, especially when warm. Given it's age, I'd check the valve clearance, along with the condition of the clutch basket and inner clutch hub. Excessive grooving of the basket could also cause the problem you are describing.
Thanks for the input I will check the basket.

Top Bottom