mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
My son bought this bike new. Not many hours on the bike oil changed and serviced regularly. Riding it the other day engine stopped, starter would not spin it.(no kicker) After about 4 or 5 minutes it would start right and run fine. After a little checking the cams are galding up on the non-bearing side. Anyone seen this before? Can these heads be repaired? I hate to buy a new head only to have it happen again. Could one of or both the oil pumps be the culprit? :bang:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Well after talking to some people at the races this is not the first time this has happen to the ktm450’s. Turns out there is a problem with the oil pump that lubes the top end. The guys I talked said ktm made it good by supplying the parts and charged a little for labor. Naturally for me I call up the local KTM shop explain my situation he promptly responds “I never heard of anything like that happening.” I call up another dealer that agrees to check it out and see what he can do. I load it up and haul it to the shop.
To make a long story short he explains their need to make money. If KTM will replaced the parts they can’t just give them to me. They would have to install them and get paid for the labor and since I already opened it up and found the problem it would cost more. (go figure) So I left the bike and just going wait and see. Should call me next week.
I don't have a problem fixing it myself. But if KTM has been making it good why should I drop 650 on parts?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks Rich. I gave Mike a call, he said he would be happy to take a look at it and let me know. Hopefully the dealer want drag it out to long, maybe i'll know something by the first of week and go from there.

Top Bottom