KTM 125 SX... good beginner bike?

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Hi, I am 15, am about 5"11 and weigh 155lbs. Would a KTM 125 SX be a good beginner bike for me? I have little experience in riding. I will mostly be casually riding with friends and do some trailing. Please give me your impressions on the bike. Does it have good low-end power?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 125sx is the most powerful 125 aroundand unless you are experienced it wont make a good beginner bike im afraid.Its suspension will also be harsh for you.A better bike would be a 125exc or 125mxc or consider the 200exc.

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
I was going to get a 200 M/XC but none of the dealers could find one. The dealer told us that he would configure the bike for me if I decided to take it. He also cut 1,000 bucks off the retail price of the 125 SX since he could not find a 200 M/XC. Does KTM make a 125 M/XC? I do not see it on their web-site. He is also going to add a large fuel tank for me. It is one heck of a deal.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If it's a 125 you want, the 2000 YZwas supposed to be the smoothest 125 with the most bottom end. I have ridden a 01 RM 125 and thought it was great! Very fun to ride—light and responsive. I ride a 200 EXC and cannot say enough good things about the bike. Very nice.

Marcusgunby, they don’t import a 125 M/XC here—only the 125 E/XC and 200 enduro and offroad bikes. Do they offer one over there?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hey Nuke,
I love my 125sx...but it has NO bottom. It wants to go fast and faster.
My son has a yz125...his first full frame bike, and it has gr8 low end. He is much more confident on his bike than on mine. Both my boys learned on 4 stroke xr's.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
No doubt about it. Buy a KDX200. Greatest beginner/all around bike for everybody. It helped me become a good rider.

A 125 or 250 could be your second bike when you graduate HS.

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Hmmmmmm, so you all are saying that I should get a YZ-125? ****, now I am really confused... the very first bike I thought about buying was a YZ-125... then a YZ-250F... then a WR-250F... then a KTM 200 M/XC... and a KTM 125 SX . Please help me decide which bike I should buy. I am a very confused man... I want a bike with good low-end. I also want something that is comfortable to ride and has good suspension. Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I've owned pretty DR's, XR's, KX's, YZ's, KTM's, CR's,....

Start with a KDX200. It is a perfect bike for a beginner/novice/intermediate. You can progess most rapidly on this bike. You will learn to clutch, turn,..... You can run most of the guys in your town once you learn command of the KDX. It is a great price, and quite reliable. You can even street legal it and run to school on it.

If you are tall enough (and you are) it is the perfect first couple of years racing bike.

I now own a 2000 KTM380exc and a 2000 XR650R and race as an A enduro rider. I can still ride a KDX (loaners) quite quickly, and the skills you learn riding the KDX will transfer perfectly to any bike. I raced a KDX on MX tracks, HS's and enduro's in my early days.

Buy the KDX200. Almost as fast as a 125 in peak HP when ported (won't want that power for a few years) and far better low rpm HP.

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Hi again, I just found out that the dealer I am buying the KTM 125 SX from is going to gear the bike down for more low-end power. He is also putting a 3.2 gallon fuel tank on and he is also going to tweak the suspension for my weight all free of charge since he could not find a 200M/XC! And on top of that, he knocked 1,000 bucks off the retail price! The price is right at 5,000 bucks out the door.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Hmm, you ask people's opinion and then you ignore it. I hope you enjoy the SX for trail riding...

Is the dealer going to revalve & respring the suspension for a self proclaimed beginner who trail rides or is he going to just back off the compression clickers?

Is the bike a '01 or '00 model? The dealer may just be getting rid of last years model. Might explain a $1000 reduction.

Listen to the opinions of those who have gone before you - some of us speak from personal experience.

Brian

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Just as a question what price is he offering for the bike before knocking $1000 off? A 125 SX should be right at $5000 before knocking the $1000 off. Seroiusly a 125 doesn't make the best trail bike, little low end and the power is located high in the powerband. I'd say a TTR 250, XR 250, KLX 300, or a KDX 200/220 would be your best bet. Of these the KDX is probably the best bet and has so much potential. Check out the KDX forum to learn more about them.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Hey Nukemall, for $5000 you could get a brand new KX500 or CR500. I am sure that you can use all that power, cuz the magazines say so, and they have like 50hp and everybody knows that you can never have enough power. Plus they weigh about 20 lbs more and you get even more high techness for your money.

Since the 500's have 4X the engine size, you would be paying like 1/4 the price on a per cc basis. And your dealer wouldn't have to adjust gearing.

Ooooohhhh, open bikes for everybody. Why do they even make those sissy KDX's and XR250's and KLX 300's?

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
First of all, the price is a bit less than 5,000 INCLUDING taxes and all that sort of thing. He is adding a 3.2 gal. fuel tank, and is gearing it lower. I am not sure on the suspension. It is a 2001 model and it is brand new. One of the reasons he is knocking 1,000 off is we are buying 2 bikes from them with upfront cash. Another reason is that I originally wanted a 200 M/XC but he could not find one.

Buck- One of the reasons I am buying a 125 is so I can race against some of my friends who also have 125s. Also, keep in mind that this is going to be my first bike and I would probably hurt my self on a 500.

IDkTm- The original price was right at 5,000 without tax, which brings it to about 5,700 - 5,800 with tax. The price now with the 1,000 reduction is just shy of 5,000 with tax. So I think it is a pretty decent price, expecially since we are getting a larger fuel tank and he is gearing it lower.

All- The guy who is making all the adjustments and doing all the mods to the bike works on factory bikes for pro riders. We specifically told him that we would be doing mostly trail riding and he acknowledged that. He said that it would be a decent trail bike after all the adjustments and modifications he does to it. I am also going to be able to take the bike around a track he has at his place before I decide if I will take it or not, so I shall see how it is. I am still not sure as to what he is doing with the suspension. I will clear that up soon. He said we tell him how much we weigh and he will adjust the suspension to our weight for trailing. I am heading out to his dealership this friday to check out the bike and ride it, and hopefully bring it home with me of I like it. My dad is buying a 300 E/XC and he is getting a different silencer on it to make it faster for free as well.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sounds like you've decided to go with the 125sx despite what many here have said. I remember how it was to be young and excited. BUT...I also remeber how one little comment could send my youthful self into an immediate 180. Where I'm going with this is....go ahead and get the ktoomer but realize that no matter what the fella does at the dealer, that bike is going to sound sick on trails being ridden by a beginner. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you will be able to ride the bike. but the bike has no bottom end power and when you are putting around on a trail it sounds like it needs work. Gear change or not! The 125sx is one impressive bike in the mid and upper powerband, both performance and sound. But a trail bike, IT'S NOT!
Best tip you can have now is to go ahead and ride the KTM but don't buy it till you have ridden a TTR, or an XR, or something that is made for what you are wanting to do. Smooth and predictable power delivery is very important when learing to ride. The KTM 125sx is strickly a race bike my good man.
Whatever decision you make, remember to be careful and have fun. Dirt biking is one great sport done by lots of great folks. Most of the time you can take what folks say in a place like this to the bank, because it's usually the voice of experience.
Patience is always a virtue and sometimes it pays off.
Have fun and good luck! :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Kali,
I was thinking of asking where he lived so I could keep my eye on the local paper for the for sale ad. I can see it now
"For Sale - '01 KTM125SX ridden 3x, too fast for me, lots of off road goodies included for trail riding - big tank, geared down, suspension revalved for 150 lb beginner. Paid 5k will sell for 4k"

I wonder if he has read your story on your webpage:p

Brian

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
NukEmAll, there is alot of good advise on the board right now and I agree that if you have the option of riding other bikes, do it. Many posts have given you options on really good motorcylces to start out on. On the other hand, motorcycling is a sport in which we all have lessons to learn. I, at an early age bought a 250 Astro Bultaco Pursang. I didnt have a lot of experience, and this was one of the highest revving, 1000RPM powerband,tempramental, motorcylces built. I LEARNED to race it, and did well on it. If you are really jazzed about the bike and you ride it and think you can do well on it, BUY IT. Its your money and its alot of money. Dont buy something that you dont want. Too many times people buy something that they are not really thrilled about and then have buyers remorse. This may happen to you with the KTM also, but you will at least have something that YOU wanted and not someone else. If it happens that the KTM is too much for you then sell it. Then you can buy a KDX :( :( Everyone has different opinions and mine is not necessarily right by any means, but if you have fun on the bike, and feel good about it, you will become a better rider and enjoy the sport of dirt biking. Remember, its supposed to be fun, yes you might get hurt, but Ill bet there havent been too many people on this board that havent been hurt, and just think, when your smokin' your buddies, its not on a KDX or 200 XR. Just my O2:cool: :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Lots of people learn to ride on 125 mx bikes. It's just that explosive, powerful, stiffly suspended bikes with close ratio gear boxes and no bottom end power are not well suited for many trails, even with experienced riders. In more open terrain and on the track, you will probably be fine.

Just respect the bike's serious horse power and don't ride over your head.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey, before everybody tears the guy apart, remember that bike selection is a matter of preference before anything else. There were guys who trail-rode two-strokes and motocrossed four-strokes before it was cool and before today’s bikes made it feasible. Everybody told me that XRs were the perfect girl bike and so I bought one (before TTRs came out) and I didn’t like it after a mere 6 months. I rode a two-stroke and loved it—I finally bought my KTM and now I LOVE my bike, although I am not a skilled enough rider to use a fraction of what the bike can do. A good friend of mine has been riding an XR200 for 6 years and she is a very skilled technical rider.

Choose what YOU think is best for YOUR riding style. Any bike can hurt you in any terrain if you don’t use your head.

NukeEmAll, focus on throttle control first and foremost. A panic rev will get you hurt in the woods even more than it will on the track. Learn how to use the clutch to both build power and to let off—fan it as you climb hills to keep the R’s up, and slip it a tad if your front end starts to climb up on you. The bike will be jetted rich when you pick it up for break in so leave it for the first tank of gas or so. Run a gear high and use the clutch a lot—this will give you smoother power than the notchy, choppy power in the lower gears. Just be careful and try to do everything smooth before you try to do it fast.

Oh yeah, and get used to "freak bike" jokes! It’s all just jealousy!

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by kalitude
Nverfastenuf-
Problem is he asked: "Is it a good beginner bike for casual and trail riding?" "Does it have good low end power? " He didn't ask, "Is this a good bike for me to use for MX racing?"

People answered his questions truthfully and thoughtfully and he didn't listen. It is not a good choice for a beginner to trail ride. But it seems he is really more of a squid than a dirtbiker. Why even ask if you have already made up your mind in your own head??
Kali, like my post said, the board has posted very good advice and the recommendations are exeptionally notable. What I see is a young man that is very excited about a motorcycle and probably wanted to hear something else!! Weve all been young before and at times its hard to convey the best advise when someone has their mind set on something other than what is more reasonable, or user freindly in this case. On the other hand, I dont see that diminishing his enthusiasm,(calling him a squid) is of any great benefit. I agree that it is frustrating when advice is given and none is taken, but thats what makes a great forum. We all have different views and outlooks and I believe if this young man wants to start riding and wants the KTM like it appears he does, then all the power to him. I applaud him and hope he has a great time riding. Who knows, he may be the next MC or RC. ;) :)

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000
Jeez give the kid a break! Does anyone remember what it's like to be 15 and full of p&v? I trail rode a yz 125 for a long time around that age. It wasn't the best suited for trail riding but you couldn't have paid me to ride one of those sissy xr's, dr etc. Bottom line was the yz was a race bike that hauled ass, and at that age that's all that really mattered. I say go with the sx if that's want you want. Have you learned a lesson about asking advice? If you don't wanna hear then don't ask.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by W.P.EXC
Jeez give the kid a break! Does anyone remember what it's like to be 15 and full of p&v? I trail rode a yz 125 for a long time around that age. It wasn't the best suited for trail riding but you couldn't have paid me to ride one of those sissy xr's, dr etc. Bottom line was the yz was a race bike that hauled ass, and at that age that's all that really mattered. I say go with the sx if that's want you want. Have you learned a lesson about asking advice? If you don't wanna hear then don't ask.
Nothing like a rapid 2stroke when your a kid;) ;) Or an adult as far as that goes!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Kali,He's 15 !
I see no "squid-like tendencies" here. I would think a squid would be scared to death of a bike like that. He apparently is not.
I realize your friend made a very good choice by learning on a xr200...and that would be a perfect bike, imho, for this young man(cheaper too)...but you gotta realize girls are much smarter than us guys!:p
When I was just a bit older than him, I traded a 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 289 hipo for a Kaw 100 Trail king(anyone remember those?)...good trade? At the time it was an excellant trade and I had the time of my life on that lil knobby tired sucker. Of course now with experience and wisdom (or a reasonable fact simile), I know I should have kept that car which is now a classic ride.
I say, "You go dewd!" and have fun on your lil beast. Besides it's the best out-of-the-box 125 money can buy.:D Oh and btw...I'm not sure the big tank will bolt up to the bike??? And I'd stay with the stock 13 on front and go to a 52 on back. That will give you a 4:1 ratio and works quite nicely on tighter stuff. I like Sidewinder chains and sprockets, but that's me. Follow the mfg. specs on how to tighten the chain and make sure you aren't too tight. Be nice to it for a few days, it needs to be broken in right.
I took a tourque wrench to the bike when I first got it and almost every bolt I tried was spot-on. KTM is a quality machine,take care of her. A good rider not only learns to ride, he learns to mechanic as well. I suggest Eric Gorrs book!
Have fun and be safe!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom