bross

Jan 8, 2006
I've been riding a KTM 125sx, but it just doesn't have the power I'm looking for. I'd like a bike with more power to it, but I feel that a 250 might be a bit much for me, at least right now (I only weigh about 140).

I was discussing new bike options with a coworker and he suggested the 200sx - more power than a 125, but not quite as much as a 250. Seems like a good idea at first, but my question is this: Is this a raceable bike? If so, what class? Most of my riding will be trails and tracks for recreation but I want to get into a couple mx races this year and I don't want to get a bike I can't race.

Thanks in advance for the help.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Welllllll,,, I dont know squat about racing anymore but I believe that there isnt a 200 class anymore (talking MX now).. Back "in the day" there was one but I believe that was wayyyyyy "back in the day"...
This may sounds nutsy but have you thought at all about one of the new Fourstrokes?? I know the 250 fourstrokes were made to run in the 125 class but I belief that the move in on to give them their own class - they tend to have a little more umpphhh then the 125s do - at least thats what I have read/heard anyway..
Hey - isnt that KTM 125 suppose to be a 42 horse power house?? If thats the case, you should probalby just move up to the 250 class - I gotta sneakin hunch you not gonna see that much difference in peak WHAMM but you WILL see alot of difference in the delivery of the motor...
I know that Randy (Katoom125) was riding one of those KTMs and now he is riding a YZ250.. Maybe he could add some insight - if you ever find a time when he is not out riding..
Have fun choosing!!!
Woodsy :ride:

bross

Jan 8, 2006
The '03 125 runs at 36 horse as opposed to the 250's 53 horse.

I've thought about the 250F's but I love the sound and pep of the 2 strokes.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
You can run any sized bike in age classes.

The motor in Randy's YZ250 is excellent, and the bike handles great although Randy can pound the boingers down better than I, so the suspension was a little stiff for my more lightweight taste. I thought it was the best 2 stroke 250 I've ridden. It's got manageable power but you still better be pointing in the right direction when you turn the wick up. Afer getting back on my YZF, that felt like a slow, underpowered heavy pig in comparison. It too awhile to shake that feeling back off.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I would think that a 250XC or XCW would be easier to ride than a 200SX and either 250 would make a decent novice MX bike too.

If you have not ridden a newer YZ250F yet, those are great bikes too. Easy to ride and good trail bikes too.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
these guys are giving good advice. I'm the guy with the YZ250 but used to also have a 125SX. I loved the 125SX and I weigh much more than you do (approx 200#). I also felt that the 125 had plenty of power even for my weight and I really liked the light and quick handling BUT and it is a big BUT - you do have to ride a 125 different than a bigger bore (even the 200's) to get them to work well and be competitive with larger bikes. You have to be able to ride with constant throttle and clutch control - it's much more critical than a larger bore bike.
That having been said the 200SX is a great bike too but the powerband is similar to the 125SX (only more of it), the 200EXC or 200XC and 200 XC-W's are easier to ride for most folks.
Any of these bikes can be raced (and win) so it's more what you prefer in terms of power delivery (and amount). Best advice is to try the different bikes if you can possibly do so to find out what works for you.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The 200 SX has not been made since 2004

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Randy I was able to ride an 06' YZ 250 last sat. and I must say thats one great motor package!

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Wolverine423 said:
Randy I was able to ride an 06' YZ 250 last sat. and I must say thats one great motor package!

This motor IS really sweet - I love a bike to leap when I crank the "loud" handle - she does this in spades - but what's even nicer is that the handling is also that good - the rear wheel sticks to the ground like glue - probably why she leaps forward with a handful of throttle.

Riding the YZ in the woods is not for everyone - things tend to happen in a hurry and can get you into trouble pretty quickly too. Maybe it helps if you've raced 125's a few hundred hours in wet-slimy clay conditions.LOL

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
To Bross,
I Would Go With Your First Choice, The 200sx If You Can Find One. I Rode And Raced 125's For Years And Love Their Light Weight And Flickable Feel. You Can Get Away With So Much More Than A 250. From What I've Read On The 200sx It Rips And You Still Get The Benefit Of The 125 Chassis. I Would Still Be Riding A 125 If It Wasn't For The Frequent Top End Maintence, Which I Don't Think Is Much Of An Issue On The Ktm. You May Be Able To Bolt On A 200sx Top End If The Stroke Is The Same. I'm Not Very Familier With Ktm Parts Inter-changes. Maybe Fred T. Or One Of The Other Drn Ktm Guy's Would Know. Hope This Helps.

Dave Leathers.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
katoom125 said:
This motor IS really sweet - I love a bike to leap when I crank the "loud" handle - she does this in spades - but what's even nicer is that the handling is also that good - the rear wheel sticks to the ground like glue - probably why she leaps forward with a handful of throttle.

Riding the YZ in the woods is not for everyone - things tend to happen in a hurry and can get you into trouble pretty quickly too. Maybe it helps if you've raced 125's a few hundred hours in wet-slimy clay conditions.LOL
Hey Randy,

Can you comment on how the YZ handles differently in the woods compared to a 125 / 200 EXC? What is your geared-up weight, and are you running stock suspension? How would you compare the suspension action for woods riding between the YZ and small bore EXC? Are there any motor mods or a flywheel on your YZ to make it more woods-friendly?

Thanks...

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Bill, after this weekend there will be a YZ250 in the stable for you to try.
Don

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
Hey Randy,

Can you comment on how the YZ handles differently in the woods compared to a 125 / 200 EXC? What is your geared-up weight, and are you running stock suspension? How would you compare the suspension action for woods riding between the YZ and small bore EXC? Are there any motor mods or a flywheel on your YZ to make it more woods-friendly?

Thanks...

The YZ handles quite a bit different than the 125SX or 200EXC. I'll call it more stable for lack of a better word.

The 125SX is like riding a mountain bike, much more "flickable" than either the YZ250 or the 200EXC - The 125SX will bail you out of trouble - if you screw up, you can 'man handle' the 125 back into shape, making it very forgiving. If you can ride a 125 (basically keeping them in the 'heart' of the powerband - ALL of the time) you can go very fast thru the woods - the biggest drawback I find is in very tight conditions where there is little distance between turns - in these conditions the YZ250 or the 200EXC will accelerate quicker, turn to turn, and can be faster. One of the keys to riding fast with a 125 is keeping your momentum but with extremely tight turns, close together, this kills your momentum. On the other hand the 125 will handle obstacles ( nasty/ugly terrain, deadfalls, etc., easier than either of the other two).

The 200EXC shares quite a few traits with the 125 but it feels quite a bit heavier (than the 125SX) even tho it certainly is not a heavy bike. It is not as forgiving as the 125 either if you get into trouble but you have the advantage of quicker acceleration (from lower RPM's) and they generally are easier to ride (faster), especially if you're tired. I prefer the 200EXC to the 250EXC (have owned several of each) because the 200 does feel lighter and more "flickable" although the 250EXC feels more secure/stable at higher speeds perhaps. I think there is as much difference in "feel" between the 250EXC and the 200EXC as there is between the 200EXC and the 125SX - but I got off the subject didn't I? You asked about the YZ250, not the 250EXC's.

The YZ250 is a whole different bike than either the 125SX or the 200EXC - to some degree it does share the 125SX's very quick revving powerband but it also has plenty of low end that the 125 lacks, you don't have to be nearly as concerned dropping off the power with the YZ as you do with the 125 because the YZ's power is back instantly. If anything you have to be more concerned with too much power, too quickly, maybe. It's kind of like the 125 in that respect because you have to be just as good with throttle and clutch control with both bikes but for different reasons.

There isn't much comparison between the 200EXC's powerband and the YZ's - when jumping from one to the other, the 200EXC feels almost lazy and we all know that this just isn't so - but that's how it feels. The 200EXC also feels heavier than the YZ (not as much difference as compared with the the 125SX but it's a significant difference in feel - the YZ feels lighter). The YZ also feels quicker handling than the 200EXC (it's not quicker handling than the 125SX).
The 2 biggest differences you will notice comparing the YZ250 with either the 125 or the 200, are the same. 1st is the motor, the 2nd is suspension.
The YZ motor is 'magic' - there is no lack of "thunder" anywhere and it has enough bottom end to be able to 'plug along' if conditions require. I understand that most woods riders/racers add a 9oz flywheel weight - mine is stock - I love that "rip". My gearing is also stock which means my top speed is only somewhere close to 60mph, but it also means being able to ride in the woods in 3rd and 4th gears most of the time.
The YZ motor can also get you into trouble quickly if you are not good with throttle and clutch control (mentioned earlier) so for some riders the YZ will NOT be the bike of choice for woods work (just like the 125 doesn't work for many riders for the same reason).

YZ Suspension - Yes, again mine is stock! Here the biggest difference is power to the ground (traction) and control - this bike will go and stay exactly where you point it and it hooks up unbelievably well for a bike with this kind of power - it out accelerates either the 200EXC or the 125SX by a bunch - it's almost like cheating.
Compared with the 200EXC, most woods riders suggest that the YZ has a 'firm' suspension action - the 200 is definately 'softer' - the 125SX has similar suspension action to the YZ - personally I like the firmer action but that may have to do with my weight even tho the 200EXC properly sprung still feels a bit too soft for my liking.

Did I answer all your questions? My weight - was a little over 200# - I'm on a diet so it's gone down some - I'm old - over the hill - former 'A' class, enduro, hare scramble, ice, TT, and occasional motocross racer - but all that racing was a long time ago so what do I know?

Last edited:

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Not sure if this is true on all late model YZ's, but the seat on my 2000 250 is like a rock. I actually get bruises on my bottom after a few miles of trail riding. An SDG brand complete seat (pan, cover and foam already assembled) is even harder, waiting for a CEET brand replacement seat foam to arrive.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
dnrtheil said:
Not sure if this is true on all late model YZ's, but the seat on my 2000 250 is like a rock. I actually get bruises on my bottom after a few miles of trail riding. An SDG brand complete seat (pan, cover and foam already assembled) is even harder, waiting for a CEET brand replacement seat foam to arrive.

the YZ250 seat on my 05 is acceptable (just) - at least no bruises yet to the backside so maybe it's a bit better than the earlier ones. - I notice that there isn't much padding towards the rear of the seat but I tend to ride a bit forward anyway (keeping weight on the front wheel). I do like the fact that it being a tad firm does allow you to easily move around if you're not standing.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the detailed and descriptive comparison Randy... appreciate you taking the time to do it. I knew you have ridden all of these bikes, so thought you'd have a good frame of reference and base of experience to draw upon.

I have only a very limited amount of seat time on a stock, late model YZF-250, but was impressed with the way it handled, so the blue bikes have me curious. I didn't ride it enough on the right terrain to really get a feel for the suspension, but the way it carved a grass track sure felt much more precise and natural compared to my 200 EXC. The 200 in the woods is light and flickable, which both detracts and enhances the handling. It is not as stable, secure, and planted as it could/should be, but because it's so forgiving, you can manhandle it to do whatever you want, e.g. get it back in shape, re-direct a deflection/bounce, etc. It's like a semi-wild Mustang; a lot of fun to handle, but does require attention.

Don: I would like the chance to ride the YZ at the Treetopper enduro if possible.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Smit-Dog said:
I have only a very limited amount of seat time on a stock, late model YZF-250, but was impressed with the way it handled, so the blue bikes have me curious. I didn't ride it enough on the right terrain to really get a feel for the suspension, but the way it carved a grass track sure felt much more precise and natural compared to my 200 EXC. The 200 in the woods is light and flickable, which both detracts and enhances the handling. It is not as stable, secure, and planted as it could/should be, but because it's so forgiving, you can manhandle it to do whatever you want, e.g. get it back in shape, re-direct a deflection/bounce, etc. It's like a semi-wild Mustang; a lot of fun to handle, but does require attention.

You might also want to ride one of the "new" 200EXC's - I got a chance to ride a friends 06 200XCW and compared to my 04 model - WOW what a difference in handling - turning especially - his suspension was set up for a lighter rider so I couldn't compare that directly but boy those new (since 05) frames certainly make a noticeable difference in how she turns. I really liked the 'new' manners. Is it better than my 05 YZ250? I wouldn't go so far as to say that - but it sure is a nice improvement and a fun bike to ride. just for your info - motor wise, I didn't notice a huge difference from my 04 200EXC (with a V-Force reed) - this is not necessarily a bad thing, I like the 200's motor.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Bill, I am sure there will be opportunity to ride the YZ or The WR.
Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom