Rockymountainatvmc.com - Dirt bike & ATV parts

KTM 250 4

Husaberg is owned by KTM. Husky is owned by Cagiva. Doesn't really matter to me as I am in the market for both bikes.

people fear what they don't understand. don't take that to say that i know all, but i know what works for me. Besides even if i didn't like a ktm suspension, i would spend well over the price of a ktm making another bike ie yamaha that has as much quality components and aftermarket accessories as a ktm

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Originally posted by Simmo:

lets face it, so far yamaha has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.

Simmo
Well, actually except for the ktm 520, and 400. You are absolutely correct, sir. Remember smb-katoomer, we are talking about 250 4-str. mx'ers here. And if anyone doubts that Yamaha is not leading 4 str. technology, just go to any National 4 stroke race and see how many yamaha's you CAN'T count on the start line.

Heck, I even watched Bartram win a freestyle event on a yz250F last night.

I am not getting into ktm/yamaha comparisons - they both make excellent bikes. But - on the marketing side, Yamaha wins hands down.

well i will give yamaha some credit, but what other company other than ktm and yamaha makes a 4-stroke mxer? i can just see it now, Ricky carmicheal on a klx 300. man, they own the field, i realize that, but no one else is ready to play ball.

Originally posted by Simmo:
God bless yamaha for getting the suspension almost perfect, anything softer and you have a bike that isn't suited to mx as far as i'm concerned ie ktm, maybe they'll fix it!
lets face it, so far yamaha has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.
Simmo
God bless KTM for getting the suspension almost perfect, anything harder and you have a bike that isn't suited to ENDURO/RAIDS as far as i'm concerned ie YAMAHA, maybe they'll fix it! (and the seat height, , the weight and a ES :-)

Lets face it, so far KTM has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.

Did you notice who dominated WEC, WRRC and the GNCC ?
You see ? for diferent needs, Yamaha simply s***s big time !
There isnt a perfect machine,
there is simply better machines for diferent needs/riders.

------------------
Amandio J.S. Bacalhau < '96 KTM LC4 620 >

ACTUALLY, Husaberg did NOT start the whole 4-stroke thing. 4-strokes were actually the first type of bikes raced off-road. ATK had probably the most abundant and capable offerings when they started out. Husky had one in the early 80's. Yamaha had a big thumper that was used for racing back in the day, and the list goes on... Just giving credit where it's due.

Yes, there was a reason that KTM bought Husaberg. They couldn't stay in business by themselves. Husabergs were developed by ex Husqvarna engineers. Don't get me wrong. They obviously made some world championship winning bikes (due mostly IMO by the rider) but they certainly weren't even close to being on the ground floor of the thumper movement! They started out with so-so reliability and haven't improved much over the years. Consider the fact that the Yamaha RACING four strokes have relatively few problems in view of the fact that they (the YZF's) are fairly new. One other BIG fact that most seem to overlook is that they don't cost nearly as much to purchase OR maintain as the Euro offerings! Just my $.02. Something I wouldn't have left if I owned one of them. LOL

------------------
00 YZ426
01 TTR-125L (son's)

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 03-25-2001).]

dont discount the husky TC610 guys, if the tc gets the same work over in the geometry depatrment as the new TE's then thats where it all started and I suspect they are about to bring it on. quality components and ten years experience with 4st mxers

wont be long now...

thank you AJSB. i appreciate your help. I realize the the four runners to the 4-stroke mx craze cam out of Europe. All i am saying is you don't see very many ktm's at my local mx track, not to mention husky, husqavarna, vor, cannondale, atk or any other 4 stroke bike on the planet. All i'm saying is people think that yamaha's are the greatest, and their are a lot of other bikes out there that deserve a chance at beating a yamaha.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Don't forget those BSA and Triumph guy ..THEY RACED offroad on four strokes a little while back...

As for the KTM RFS 250...they won the world enduro championship with a engine based on the current 400/520
...the bike look close to a production one ,probably they'll do a repeat of the 400/520 story...win then sell in limited numbers....i read some test of the prototype and it look like the bike will be produced as is ...with some delay due to the death of the project leader...
I don't see why they would spend money on a completely new engine if they have a world championship winning one ready ...??????

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

If KTM had Yamaha's racing budget they might be seen all over the place on every track and trail as well, I have a 250F and it is a great bike, Kalitude is right about the seat height, its to tall for me and about half the way through a long brutal ride starting the bike is very tough, the kick starter is taller than an kick starter on my buddies YZ400!!! I need a shorter bike too, whats up Yamaha ?
I did read that the YZ150 is here and a Californian has raced it last week according to Cycle News. I believe his name is Mike Alessi (for give my spelling if it is wrong)
With the Eros and the E button that will make the bike easyer to ride and you wont have to stop at a rock for footing during a break. Dirt Rider said it will be a great woods bike, they also said that a YZF will be a faster bike but then that will depend on the rider too. Just my 2 pennies

Originally posted by smb_katoomer:
thank you AJSB. i appreciate your help. I realize the the four runners to the 4-stroke mx craze cam out of Europe. All i am saying is you don't see very many ktm's at my local mx track, not to mention husky, husqavarna, vor, cannondale, atk or any other 4 stroke bike on the planet. All i'm saying is people think that yamaha's are the greatest, and their are a lot of other bikes out there that deserve a chance at beating a yamaha.
The same can be said of ktms popularity at enduros and harescrambles....

In defense of Yamaha, I'd like to say a few words. According to an interview with the creator of the YZ250F in MXA mag, the bike wasn't born out of a big R&D budget. He worked on the design during evenings and weekends. He showed the design to his boss and got the go ahead to get three people to help him build the engine and the prototype. Once they got a working prototype, it had to pass the performance test and convince everyone that it would sell at least 15,000 units before they would start production.

I believe Yamaha had the insight, the know how, and the guts to go forward with this bike before anyone else. The bike isn't perfect (it might be too tall, etc.), but let's give them credit where credit is due.

BTW, I'm not taking anything away from KTM or any of the other brands, they're all great...and we want more competition from all the manufacturers so we will get lower prices and better bikes. Personally, I'm tired of paying top dollar for Yamaha's here in Colorado, but until there is a bike that I feel is a better value, then I'll have to stick with the blue thumpers from Yamaha.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

ktm's original bike's were made for enduro's. You also have to look at it like this, most enduro rider's are experienced rider's and that means they have probably done their homework and tryed the rest and decided on a ktm. I am an enduro rider. I've rode everything from a YZF to wr to kdx to cr500. i know what kind of bike i want, and for the money, for the quality, for the dependability, my fav happens to be an orange bike from Austria.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125