Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
I believe there is one coming, anyone know anything about it? Hope it doesn't rattle my 250F
frown.gif

Simmo
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Simmo (edited 03-21-2001).]

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
try to find the january edition of Dirt Rider and you'll have all the info that is available right now. sorry if i offend, but i hope that ktm will walk the dog on a yamaha.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kali - You should come to SpodeFest and ride my shortened YZF. Once you try it out you'll see it makes the decision on what bike to buy much simpler when you know you can MAKE the bike fit you
smile.gif

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Keep in mind there will be nearly 4 inches of sag in there as well.
smile.gif

AJSB

Mar 11, 2001
Dash, As for the 250 KTM, that is the rumour, how much truth is in it is yet to be seen. I wish someone from Europe who has seen one would chime in here and let us know.

Lets just say that i know for SURE that its NOT a resleeved 400sx/exc. Maybe at 1st it was to be a resleeve job, but they decided to to redesign the engine. Now, its indeed a new
engine.

------------------
Amandio J.S. Bacalhau < '96 KTM LC4 620 >

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
mmmm c'mon guys whos got some specs?
twin cam? I heard husky are doing a twin cam 250 mxer.

I think yamaha are still light years ahead because of the 400-426F's development.

Bring em on i say cause the 250 4 class is pretty small around here
frown.gif

Simmo

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
"Principal item of the fire-new width unit 250 is naturally the just as fire-new engine. Extremely compactly it failed, with four-vierventilkopf and two cam shafts, which operate acting valves via " super flat " cams unusually short-stroke. Via a special MV Agusta patent takes place the operation of the valves in innovative way, how numbers of revolutions of 13.000/min become problem-free possible! Devoted in the case of 58,3mm stroke, at present one holds 73,8mm drilling a capacity of 249,4ccm thereby with approximately 34PS at the crankshaft or 30PS at the rear wheel, the engine weighs with e-starter only 27 Kilos!"

How much power does the 250F have at the flywheel or rear wheel?
MMM DOHC 4 valve look out shes a goer, and it has 6 gears!

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
Basically looks cool, but

Gemessenes Kampfgewicht fahrfertig ohen Benzin: nur 115 Kilo!

My German is not the best, but I'm thinking that says 253lbs. a little heavier then a KTM of much more displacement.

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
Measured combat weight ohen gasoline: only 115 Kilos!

I guess thats the wet weight, isn't that light? whats the wr250f weigh wet?

BenjaminPQ

Spammer
Jan 4, 2001
Basically the new KTM 250 four stroke that is supposed to be coming out is just a sleeved 400RFS motor unlike the YZ250f that is a totally redesigned and not a 426 with a smaller displacement.

The desinger of the KTM 250 four stroke died while working on this project so it kind of put the project on hold for a bit.
frown.gif

In my opinion it will be primarily a woods bike and a fine one at that.
smile.gif

------------------
BenjaminPQ
1979 RM125 (long gone)
1995 CR125 (sold)
1999 KTM 300MXC!!!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Based on the current technology and what the public is willing to pay for a motorcycle, I would say that it will be difficult to get a e-start, dohc 4-stroke that is durable and weighs much less than 250 lbs ready to ride. It looks to me like Husky has done a good job, the bikes (2 prototypes) did very well at the 2000 ISDE. If they go to electronic solenoid valve (like Formula-1 cars), then the weights will drop.

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
does it matter whether it is a husky ktm or husaberg? personally i'm tired of the yamaha hype. If you take a ktm and make the suspension more friendly you would have a better bike than anything that ever came out of japan. And even if the bike is a husky, it is a fact that husky is owned by ktm, the 400rfs is a version of the husky 400. i say bring on the ktm and let a good time be had by all

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Simmo

Mar 18, 2001
God bless yamaha for getting the suspension almost perfect, anything softer and you have a bike that isn't suited to mx as far as i'm concerned ie ktm, maybe they'll fix it!

lets face it, so far yamaha has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.

Simmo

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
people fear what they don't understand. don't take that to say that i know all, but i know what works for me. Besides even if i didn't like a ktm suspension, i would spend well over the price of a ktm making another bike ie yamaha that has as much quality components and aftermarket accessories as a ktm

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by Simmo:

lets face it, so far yamaha has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.

Simmo

Well, actually except for the ktm 520, and 400. You are absolutely correct, sir. Remember smb-katoomer, we are talking about 250 4-str. mx'ers here. And if anyone doubts that Yamaha is not leading 4 str. technology, just go to any National 4 stroke race and see how many yamaha's you CAN'T count on the start line.

Heck, I even watched Bartram win a freestyle event on a yz250F last night.

I am not getting into ktm/yamaha comparisons - they both make excellent bikes. But - on the marketing side, Yamaha wins hands down.

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
well i will give yamaha some credit, but what other company other than ktm and yamaha makes a 4-stroke mxer? i can just see it now, Ricky carmicheal on a klx 300. man, they own the field, i realize that, but no one else is ready to play ball.

AJSB

Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by Simmo:
God bless yamaha for getting the suspension almost perfect, anything softer and you have a bike that isn't suited to mx as far as i'm concerned ie ktm, maybe they'll fix it!
Simmo

God bless KTM for getting the suspension almost perfect, anything harder and you have a bike that isn't suited to ENDURO/RAIDS as far as i'm concerned ie YAMAHA, maybe they'll fix it! (and the seat height, , the weight and a ES :-)

Lets face it, so far KTM has the goods and a couple of years lead, everything else is just speculation so far.

Did you notice who dominated WEC, WRRC and the GNCC ?
You see ? for diferent needs, Yamaha simply s***s big time !
There isnt a perfect machine,
there is simply better machines for diferent needs/riders.

------------------
Amandio J.S. Bacalhau < '96 KTM LC4 620 >

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
ACTUALLY, Husaberg did NOT start the whole 4-stroke thing. 4-strokes were actually the first type of bikes raced off-road. ATK had probably the most abundant and capable offerings when they started out. Husky had one in the early 80's. Yamaha had a big thumper that was used for racing back in the day, and the list goes on... Just giving credit where it's due.
tongue.gif

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
Yes, there was a reason that KTM bought Husaberg. They couldn't stay in business by themselves. Husabergs were developed by ex Husqvarna engineers. Don't get me wrong. They obviously made some world championship winning bikes (due mostly IMO by the rider) but they certainly weren't even close to being on the ground floor of the thumper movement! They started out with so-so reliability and haven't improved much over the years. Consider the fact that the Yamaha RACING four strokes have relatively few problems in view of the fact that they (the YZF's) are fairly new. One other BIG fact that most seem to overlook is that they don't cost nearly as much to purchase OR maintain as the Euro offerings! Just my $.02. Something I wouldn't have left if I owned one of them. LOL

------------------
00 YZ426
01 TTR-125L (son's)

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 03-25-2001).]

gordo

Mar 17, 2001
dont discount the husky TC610 guys, if the tc gets the same work over in the geometry depatrment as the new TE's then thats where it all started and I suspect they are about to bring it on. quality components and ten years experience with 4st mxers

wont be long now...

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
thank you AJSB. i appreciate your help. I realize the the four runners to the 4-stroke mx craze cam out of Europe. All i am saying is you don't see very many ktm's at my local mx track, not to mention husky, husqavarna, vor, cannondale, atk or any other 4 stroke bike on the planet. All i'm saying is people think that yamaha's are the greatest, and their are a lot of other bikes out there that deserve a chance at beating a yamaha.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

Top Bottom