mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Don't forget those BSA and Triumph guy ..THEY RACED offroad on four strokes a little while back...
biggrin.gif

As for the KTM RFS 250...they won the world enduro championship with a engine based on the current 400/520
smile.gif
...the bike look close to a production one ,probably they'll do a repeat of the 400/520 story...win then sell in limited numbers....i read some test of the prototype and it look like the bike will be produced as is ...with some delay due to the death of the project leader...
frown.gif
I don't see why they would spend money on a completely new engine if they have a world championship winning one ready ...??????

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

teton

Dec 13, 2000
If KTM had Yamaha's racing budget they might be seen all over the place on every track and trail as well, I have a 250F and it is a great bike, Kalitude is right about the seat height, its to tall for me and about half the way through a long brutal ride starting the bike is very tough, the kick starter is taller than an kick starter on my buddies YZ400!!! I need a shorter bike too, whats up Yamaha ?
I did read that the YZ150 is here and a Californian has raced it last week according to Cycle News. I believe his name is Mike Alessi (for give my spelling if it is wrong)
With the Eros and the E button that will make the bike easyer to ride and you wont have to stop at a rock for footing during a break. Dirt Rider said it will be a great woods bike, they also said that a YZF will be a faster bike but then that will depend on the rider too. Just my 2 pennies

sound

Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by smb_katoomer:
thank you AJSB. i appreciate your help. I realize the the four runners to the 4-stroke mx craze cam out of Europe. All i am saying is you don't see very many ktm's at my local mx track, not to mention husky, husqavarna, vor, cannondale, atk or any other 4 stroke bike on the planet. All i'm saying is people think that yamaha's are the greatest, and their are a lot of other bikes out there that deserve a chance at beating a yamaha.
The same can be said of ktms popularity at enduros and harescrambles....

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
In defense of Yamaha, I'd like to say a few words. According to an interview with the creator of the YZ250F in MXA mag, the bike wasn't born out of a big R&D budget. He worked on the design during evenings and weekends. He showed the design to his boss and got the go ahead to get three people to help him build the engine and the prototype. Once they got a working prototype, it had to pass the performance test and convince everyone that it would sell at least 15,000 units before they would start production.

I believe Yamaha had the insight, the know how, and the guts to go forward with this bike before anyone else. The bike isn't perfect (it might be too tall, etc.), but let's give them credit where credit is due.

BTW, I'm not taking anything away from KTM or any of the other brands, they're all great...and we want more competition from all the manufacturers so we will get lower prices and better bikes. Personally, I'm tired of paying top dollar for Yamaha's here in Colorado, but until there is a bike that I feel is a better value, then I'll have to stick with the blue thumpers from Yamaha.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
ktm's original bike's were made for enduro's. You also have to look at it like this, most enduro rider's are experienced rider's and that means they have probably done their homework and tryed the rest and decided on a ktm. I am an enduro rider. I've rode everything from a YZF to wr to kdx to cr500. i know what kind of bike i want, and for the money, for the quality, for the dependability, my fav happens to be an orange bike from Austria.

------------------
-Dan
90 dr250
94 ktm 125

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by smb_katoomer:
You also have to look at it like this, most enduro rider's are experienced rider's and that means they have probably done their homework and tryed the rest and decided on a ktm. I am an enduro rider.

That statement makes it sound like all MX riders are spodes and buy bikes without any knowledge. It's not so "cut and dried" as you might think...everyone has their own styles and preferences.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

Top Bottom