KTM 450 EXC shut off when using throttle??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
KTM 450 EXC shut off during idle when using throttle??

Hi there everyone. My 03 KTM 450 EXC has been shutting off when I've revved it up a bit whilst idling. The battery was flat so I charged it up and was able to start it using kick and electric start and by having the choke all the way out but as the bike was idling I revved it up and the engine just shut off on me, it happened about 3 or 4 times. Just wondering what it could be? I'm thinking possibly the valves(although I had valve clearances checked and re-done about 2 weeks ago)??

Eventually I was able to kick start it and ride it a bit without it shutting off...it didn't shut off til i did so manually but it did shut off during idle(when using throttle) a few times prior to that...so probably either valves or a battery problem i guess.
Someone was telling me it could be that I need a new battery or that it might not have been warmed up enough yet when I revved it. So also just wondering if that is a possibility or not or if i do need to let it warm up a bit more before I rev it/ride it?
and just incase anyone asks, it had a full tank of fuel, fuel switch was turned on and also had a brand new spark plug in it.
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom