trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
I am getting a 01 KTM 520EXC at the end of this March
biggrin.gif
I was hoping some of you that own one could pass along their experiences good or bad. I would sure appreciate knowing what to look/look-out for!

------------------
01KTM520EXC
91Yam WR250 4sale
86XR350
74TM125

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I road my cousins 2 weeks ago,and it was the most thrilling bike I have ever riden. It was box stock except he had the forks revalved(said they were like mush on anything outside of woods riding) I mean this bike came on in ever gear. I found no faults. It was the most complete dirt bike I've ever riden.It would be my dream bike. Stock componets were first class from the hydrolic clutch to the Magura bars,frame guards,chain,etc... Congradulations!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
2001 XR250R
2001 XR400R

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
xrs, keep talking like that,...you might have to change your name!

trl, Change the oil & filters after break-in (1-2 hrs), check all bolts and fastners (loctite rear sprocket bolts) Replace radiator hose clamps w/screw type (the stock ones pop off) Grease stearing head bearing. Check valves after 15-20 hrs. Keep an eye on the brake pads (they wear fast) Clean air filter every other ride. Keep good fresh gas in her, and go roost your freinds!
Congrats,...You will love this bike.

PK

Feb 27, 2000
On my buddy's KTM thumper, his kickstarter bolt fell out once and loosened up a few times till he loctite'd it. His exhaust springs tend to fall off also. He put some 18mm offset triple clamps on it also to help it turn better. Other than that, it's a very sweet bike.

Pat
99 YZ400

JohnnyMac

Jun 18, 2000
Before you leave the dealer, start it up and see if the accelerator pump has been adjusted. There have been a few posts on here about the hesitation/burp from the initial twist of the throttle. I am still living with mine (although better) after trying many different changes.

A few of the posts here stated that their dealer (if it's a good one!), should be able to cure it before getting it home.

Lee520

Feb 19, 2001
Great bike, you will love the power band on your 520. I changed the rear sprocket to a 50 and increased the fork and shock springs to get a better ride. The valves were tight after 12 hours so check them, get the motion pro gauges 4.95 each, they are small and work great, .004 & .006.
Change oil and filters after first ride, mine were dirty, then follow your manual.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
Amazing bike. Endless power that is totally controllable and completely addicting. Light and plush handling. I've never had more fun on a bike.

Other than a freak electrical short when brand new i've had no problems at all with mine. Fresh oil and filters every 300 miles and religiously check all bolts, fasteners and spokes.

Do not even think about riding the bike with the stock front tire and definitely get a Scotts steering dampener.

Enjoy it.

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
I guess I should have said that I am getting it used. I am buying it from the owner of a KTM/Yamaha dealership in SC. He races in 4 stroke A class in SETRA. He has sorted out the bugs that you guys have told me about, with exception of the slight hesitation in the throttle when you wick it open at low rpms. It has a Scott's dampner, and full boogie Enduro Engineering suspension, and nice guards everywhere.Clutch is a pinky finger affair (it has an easy pull lever), and it has aftermarket exhaust (Big Gun) and wide aftermarket pegs. I only got to ride it for a 5 min period as a test ride-but whatta 5 minutes!!I have been holding out to buy a new bike since my 91 YZWR, and the 520 made me pull the checkbook out. Whatta bike! I just gotta let him finish out the season, then --- I'm gone ridin!

------------------
01KTM520EXC
91Yam WR250 4sale
86XR350
74TM125

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
my riding buddy has an 01 520xc....
his cam sprocket bolts came out...
I guess this is a husaberg legacy.
He did a steering dampener and tires too.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by Shaw520:
Keep good fresh gas in her, and go roost your freinds!

Thanks Shaw, just what we needed to hear!
tongue.gif

trl junkie,
When boy? ...... WHEN!
tongue.gif

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
Very soon, Wrench! Just make sure that custom billet chest protector you special ordered is on tight next time we ride!!
biggrin.gif
I will probably get my Katoom before Spoker Ace gets his throttle stop back on his WR250!!

[This message has been edited by trl junkie (edited 03-07-2001).]

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
trl,
I don't know if that Chest Protector will be ready in time ..... I can't seem to find any Byrillium(sp). I guess I'll have to opt for the Titanium model!
tongue.gif

As for Spoker Ace's throttle stop .... I went to his place last night to take care of it for him (the WR is still filthy from the first ride!). Can you believe that the boy did not have a single measuring device in metric increments?!?!?!?! I just finnished cutting it down this morning, will get back down ther this weekend, so .......

Take those God ^&%*m Banana's and......

WHEN BOY?.....WHEN?!!
tongue.gif

wrench

[This message has been edited by wrench (edited 03-08-2001).]

Conga10

Mar 8, 2001
Keep the chain at the correct sag. Buddy of mine has exploded two rear hubs and we think it was from improper chain adjustment.

------------------
Conga10

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
Wrench , You kill me!!! I do believe Spoker Ace won the "When, boy, when? " award for 2001..A brand new bike with the mud still on it????? Did he try to get ya to wash it while you were wrenching fer him? We will have to give him a good AARC team roost--Then he will need the chobham M-1 Armor bodysuit--LMAO!!
P.S. Get your s*%@^ together, before I send you off to military school with that G.D. Finklestein Sh*% kid!! heehee

------------------
01KTM520EXC
91Yam WR250 4sale
86XR350
74TM125

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Have a look at the "KTM euro bike"post page 8 ...good info there !!!! By the way i just love mine !!
smile.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
BTW the low rpm hesitation are well known to Yzf riders ...but they can happen to KTM 400/520 also (same carb..) clean the acceleration pump and have a look at the membrane ,replace if necessary...

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
Merchantloup, thanks for your tips. Do you know anything about the P-38 Lightning carb mod by R&D Racing?

------------------
01KTM520EXC
91Yam WR250 4sale
86XR350
74TM125

JohnnyMac

Jun 18, 2000
I have the P-38 lightning on my '01 520sx. I took the "throw money at it first" scenario. It did make my bike run a little stronger but I still had the hesitation.

At 3000 feet Factory R&D recommended 1 step leaner on both the pilot and needle. I tried that but my bike still had the hesitation. The best thing I've done so far is play with the plunger rod on the accelerator pump. I'm guessing this has been the problem from the beginning. I just started with it this week so I still have some learning time left.

Does anybody know what the right amount of play shoud be with the adjuster fork?

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by JohnnyMac:
Does anybody know what the right amount of play shoud be with the adjuster fork?

The standard Keihin setting (according to Sudco) is .6mm. This affects when the pump starts pumping, (at .6mm this will be just after the slide opens), while your R&D cover shortened the pump stroke. If you’re curious the guys at Factory R&D can tell you the stroke length you ended up with. Stock should be about 3mm on the slant FCR.

Some WR guys on Thumpertalk are going crazy with all kinds of accelerator pump modifications, including disconnecting the thing altogether. The R&D cover shortens it a fixed amount (differs for diff. models I’m told), but I’ve heard two really good ideas for adjusting the pump stroke on the slant FCR that are cheap and easy and allow different lengths (some guys are down to 1 mm and love the results):

1) Place shims under the pump diaphragm of different thickness, where the desired reduction in stroke is the shim thickness.

2) Drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the cover for a set screw. Turn in to shorten stroke, out to lengthen.

Another invaluable FCR tuning tip is the use of an air screw in place of the fixed pilot air jet. Sudco carries these parts (screw and spring) for about twelve bucks. It seems an improvement can be had by shortening the pump stroke, going richer on pilot and needle and larger on the pilot air jet, but with the optional air screw you don’t have to swap the jet each time you want to change it and it is more adjustable.

I think those guys have too much free time on their hands…

At any rate JohnnyMac I think a larger pilot and pilot air jet may be worth trying (but check your pump timing first).

PK

Feb 27, 2000
I got hit by some roost by one a few days ago and I got the bruises to prove it. Lighter than my YZF400, more snot, better equipped stock, little more maintenance but very good reliability so far. Go for it...

Pat

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
I haven't got my 520 yet (there is still 2 races in the SETRA Enduros). But I have an experiance to share from the current owner. He was racing, and saw some smoke coming from the engine area. He pulled in the clutch, and more fluid squirted from the hydraulic clutch line, and started a fire. Luckily, he was in Florida and had access to wet sand to put it out. Anyway he has switched to a Enduro Engineering stainless steel braided clutch line so it shouldent happen again. All 520/400 or other KTM owners be aware of this potentially bike melting problem!!
frown.gif

------------------
01KTM520EXC
91Yam WR250 4sale
86XR350
74TM125

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
Just as an iteresting addition to the FCR discussion, the Carb on my YZ250F has an accelerator pump bleed jet that determines the volume of fuel injected. I forget what Yamaha's exact terminology is, but is is one of the five jetting circuits in this complex carb.

Top Bottom