KTM Drops dealer over DOMAIN Name KTM.COM

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
<--- agrees with Fishead.

Happy to see that things worked out (worked out????) for the Cycle Hutt folks. But even now, if KTM comes crawling back, and I doubt that would ever occur, could a mutual, beneficial and trusting relationship ever happen? I wouldn't trust KTM one inch, well, make that 25 millimeters... heheh. :confused:

-Bob

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Interesting stuff, I wonder where this will end.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Shame on KTM Sportmotorcycles USA. They encouraged Cycle Hutt to grow their internet business, the punished them for being successful.

"In addition, both prior to and during the dealer agreement, Respondent notified Complainant that it intended to and was in fact using domain names that included the KTM mark for the purposes of offering KTM related goods online. KTM entered into the dealer agreement with the knowledge of Respondent’s intentions, did not object to this use by Respondent and there is evidence that Complainant encouraged Respondent to register at least one of the domain names, <ktm.com>, for the purpose of promoting and selling KTM goods online. A trademark owner may not actively encourage a third party to expend substantial money and effort to purchase and promote a domain name containing its trademark and then use the UDRP arbitration process to obtain a transfer of that domain name"

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
It's about internet parts sales, not domain names. "nuisance to other dealers" stuff. Internet parts sales have thrown a new wrench (spanner) in the works as far as a dealerbase goes.

Try to buy some Red Wing boots online.

Who's right? Beats me!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
It is called capitalism in the new millenium - internet sales. If KTM is smart at this point they will back off and try to make ammends. Large corporations do NOT fair well in court concerning breach of contract matters. I sure hope some slick willy attorney does not convince them (KTM) otherwise. This is not a competition, shake hands and make ammends, or agree to disagree and both parties walk away.

There is just a bit of unsolicited advice.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
interesting paralells in history,

at one time commerce was clustered on rivers because of transportation, then it was roads, then rails, then interstates and now the internet. Commerce is about the means to convey scarce resources. As far as hard parts go the internet is a demand side conduit and the means to implement sales.

Sadly those who don't learn their history are bound to go the way of the dinosaur. I'll bet dinosaurs did not study history.

FritoBandito

Sep 18, 2001
Fishhead has a very good point there. I would think that as big as KTM is, there has to be someone sitting in an office somewhere that should understand that the marketplace is constantly changing, or they would not be challenging the BIG 4 like they are now doing. I am very happy for this ruling to turn out in CH favor and can only hope that KTM now thinks very carefully about its next move. Taking it to the courts would be a very costly mistake and would only apease the lawyers and complaining dealerships that probably got this whole thing started.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
KTM seems to be doing some pretty weird things franchise-wise.

They took a franchise away from a dealer around here just a few months before he expected to open in his new, already built shop. He already had a KTM dealership in another town and had been given the go ahead to open another shop in another town.

If my sources are right I think Guy Cooper also left KTM...

Did anyone catch this from Grant Langston on RacerX?
http://www.racerxill.com/071303_5min_Langston.cfm

Your dad told me this morning that you guys are opening your own bike shop.
Yeah, we're opening a new bike shop. It'll be called Langston Racing and be based at the entrance of the Lake Elsinore Motocross Park. We're going to do things like engine modifications and suspension work. We'll also be selling all kinds of accessories.

Will you be selling bikes?
No, we don't have a franchise yet. KTM screwed us over and took it away. Right now we'll do specialized stuff for performance, but down the road we definitely hope to have franchises in the shop.

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
WOW! That one little comment was HUGE. Grant Langston, KTM's #1 rider for the past 3 seasons (IMO), got screwed out of a KTM dealership.

There's trouble in paradise, Yogi!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I think it's worse than trouble, Strick.

I think the bear with AIDS has now contracted rabies. I predict things will get worse before they get better.

Lets see if this sounds familiar. Good product with poor support, supercilious attitude toward loyal customers, heavy handed tactics with dealers, company tries to diversify into new markets with dealers that don't match new product, company does not accuratly gauge how a paradigm shift in consumer behavoir will affect sales, company ignores all warning signs to the contrary of stated policies.. On the bright side, maybe someday, the old ktm's will be as popular as Maico's. Probably they will be as popular as old OSSA's.

I'd say KTM has some growing up to do.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Fishhead I said it once before, but will add something. KTM needs to stop competing with friends, sponsored riders, and dealers. They need to just keep their eyes open to the Japanese market and build a strong team here. That means dealers!

All I can really add is WOW!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Regarding the comment Langston made. Maybe this is a case where there is already a dealer close to where Grant and his father are opening their shop. Or maybe, KTM and Grant are already be in the process of parting ways. As for the ruling? Im glad CH won the domain name thing. I hope they offer to sale it to KTM at a premium. I hope KTM pays that price, and they both move on to bigger and better things. I support KTM's decision to drop them as a dealer and I dont think they did it just to get , or because they couldnt get the domain name. These are the best bikes. They could be using slave labor to build em and I would still buy one! I likin it to crack.. There are alot of professional people that smoke it. They dont care about where it came from, how it was made, how they got it, what got stolen, or even who died in its travels, from a raw material in the jungles of Central America to the finished goods their putting putting in their pipe in Deluth MN. Hey Im an addict. What can I say............. So put that in your pipes........

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by 380EXCman
These are the best bikes. They could be using slave labor to build em and I would still buy one!

Your Berg handled and ran way better, now if not for that kickstarter...

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Your Berg handled and ran way better, now if not for that kickstarter...
Yeah but it has 40 cc's on your KTM. Bergs are known for their good handling unfortunately they are known more for bad than good. dave186 who now has my Berg is waiting who knows how long for a coil. Anyway. I dont want to get off topic here so check my post out in the "Husaberg is back" thread......

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Dave isn't riding a greenbean anymore???

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
LOL smit-dog :) Seriously I agree partially with 380 - I really won't be thinking about this when I go to buy my next bike, if KTM is making the bike I want then KTM it is. If it comes to a point where KTM parts are hard to get then I will definitely NOT buy a KTM.

IMHO - regardless of my personal buying opinions I truly believe KTM better wake up and shake the tree (to get rid of some old/dead wood with antiquated ideas) before they head in the direction of the dodo bird.

YEAH CH!

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Dave isn't riding a greenbean anymore???
Nope. Dave has been riding the Swedish Steed since March. I tried to talk him into it for about a year. But nope he wasnt intrested..... Until we went to Reno. He spent a little more time on it there. We get back and like 2 days later I get a call... "Well I think I wanna buy your Berg." He must have really liked it, because that is the most I had heard him talk in like 4 months.... So there it is. I have been bikeless since March..... Just waiting on the 04 KTM's.

Last edited:

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Helmets off to CycleHutt!! I just cancelled my order for my new KTM! My KDX works just fine! Best of luck!

Top Bottom