Random

Sep 18, 2002
Do KTMs require more work to keep up than bikes like a Honda or SUzuki? I have read that the LC4 requires alot more work that bikes like the BMW GS and Cagiva Elefants.

I was just wondering about smaller bikes.. I was thinking about getting one for riding tighter trails than I really do know.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Never had issues with mine. Normal maintenance and less add on stuff required since most of the good stuff is already in place.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
NOPE,

Had a 97 KDX220 for 3 years and my 2000 KTM250exc for 2 years and neither bike had any high maint. cost. Just the normal oil change, air filter clean, and lube the chain.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
random -

my best friend has a 96 LC4-400 and it is a major rager on the tight trails. i would describe riding this bike as "effortless." according to everyone we've spoken with the LC4 will stand up to heavy use as good as or better than anything the japs are making. one one odd exception is that the manual says not to sustain wheelies for long (it doesn't say how long) on account of engine damage will result. my guess is the oil pump can't keep up with the bike at that attitude.

happy hunting

jeremiah

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Actually the wheelie issue has to do with the oil not draining out of the two filters. I raced a 620 sx for two years and after the first valve adjustment, it needed nothing other than a clean airfilter and changing the oil. These bikes are really, really reliable. Just make sure if you get one you break it in properly-it takes 30+ hrs to break the motor in. Change the oil frequently when breaking it in, and don't use a full synthetic oil until after it has broken in so that the rings will seat.

Top Bottom