ktm mini adventure...lost power

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
bought an 07 for my 5yo. has been running well on a hard packed track we ride on. Took him to a different track that was muddy this weekend. Bike was seriously low on power...starts and ran fine but didn't run well under load. I changed gear oil prior to ride and used 80W gear oil...manual calls for ATF...not sure if this makes a dif...

any ideas???

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
with all the specifics in that post , the guess from this side of the net would be tire pressure to the governor or somewhere in between. best bet for now......stay on hardpack.

seriously though, more specifics will get you better results. did it sound normal, was the tire speed matching engine speed, etc etc :cool:

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
If I lifted the wheel off the ground it ran fine...rpms and wheel speed. When the wheel was on the ground and you twisted the throttle it didnt rev up...engine speed and tire speed was the same...just slow.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
sounds like a bog, did you have fresh gas, clean filter, repack exhaust. was the weather very different than your usual riding conditions? if you arent proficient in reading plugs and jetting i would start there. as long as it wasnt the clutch slipping it wasnt the gear oil.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
weather was about the same...air filter not pristine...but not too dirty. gas was fresh. he crashed in a huge mud puddle:) and bike was running tipped over in there for a minute or so...bike started running lousy after that.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
check the float isnt stuck

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
was told on ktm forum that 80W gear oil is no good...big difference from ATF. I'll change oil...clean carb and filter and then see. thanks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Next time you want to substitute a oil ask yoursef "Would I use EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in this application instead of the stuff I'm pouring in.?" If the answer is no (and it should be every time except when you are cooking something) then choose to use the proper lubricant. 80wt & ATF are just about as far away from each other as you could reasonably get.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
Patman, I will pass that along to the parts guy in the dealership that sold me the 80weight knowing exactly what bike I owned and looking at my manual. I try as much as possible to support my local dealer but this is what is is frustrating. I know every shop is different but it seems like most of these guys don't really know too much about the dirtbikes they sell.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes please do because he's going to cost the shop business. Personally I make sure I know what lubes, etc... my bikes need because generally the people running the counter are not going to be the best technicians in the shop. (My local KTM shop that would be the exception as the owner also runs the counter and he knows what is needed.) Heck it doesn't really make sense to have somebody that you have to pay much over minimum wage standing around checking people out. So yes please tell the manager of the shop his employee gave you bad info. Next time you are in a 7-11 ask the counter person which oil you should run in your car as well, I mean geesh they sell oil there don't they?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Did the oil make the engine run poorly, or did it suck some bad stuff from the mud hole? Dirt or such in the boot or carb throat? If it sucked some dirty water, not good. I hope you do not have to deal with the oil expert again! Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
brentoncole said:
i think the the 80 wt oil is probly the culprit i did the same thing in my cr80 and it slowed it down a whole lot
did your run the 80w oil on the gas tank instead on gas?
did your clutch slip?
did some friend tell you that a 80w is so thick that will put an outrageous drag on the engine?

thats because i put some thick oil and my cr immediately was a whole lot faster. :laugh:

Top Bottom