NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I think I read a post somewhere on DRN about using a 400/520 EXC silencer on a YZ/WR to get a quiet yet non-choked down exhaust system. Can anybody point me to that thread? I can't find it....

Brian

------------------
'99 WR400 - dual sport
'90 KX500
'92 XR250R - dual sport, wife's bike (I ride it more than she does because it goes ANYWHERE)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah, I'd like to hear about this. If anyone has a KTM 400 exhaust they'd like to part with, let me know at mweissen@chartermi.net. THIS is the way that Yamaha has to go on its next line of YZ's and WR's. I love the sound of their 4 strokes, but there's certainly a lot of peole out there that don't. We've got to be responsible to protect the riding areas we've got!

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

Rowdy

Jun 13, 2000
check out http://www.peterrenner.net/exc

be patient while downloading and please ignore the mess seen in the background
smile.gif

(btw. i was too busy lately to cut off the
remaining unused EXC tab and to finish up
the load bearing one)

I had an 520 EXC muffler welded onto an Arrows pipe.
The pipe fits more or less nicely onto the stock header.

At first i tried to use a spring like attachment like KTM, but this proved too loose, as the WR offeres only one point to support the muffler, whereas the KTM has two.

Effect:
up to mid rpms very stealth, no problems pull ing up to the traffic light near the cops at 2 AM. Beyond mid rpms the sound turns more into an XR600-w/out-baffle style, only less noisy.

Biggest plus:
Better throttle response down low.

Biggest drawback:
Muffler need repacking

cost (incl. 20% Austrian sales tax!):
$240 EXC muffler
$100 Arrows stainless steel mid section
$50 welding

not counting the DIY sawing and rivetting

HTH
Rowdy

------------------