mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I have a chance to pick up a 2001 65sx and a 2002 KX65 for close to the same price (KX is more) and wanted to know which would make the best trail/occasional race bike. My son is 10 and this bike will likely be passed down to his 2 younger brothers when hes done with it. He currently rides a XR70 and I want him to learn to shift with a clutch. Are the bikes similiar maintenance wise? We had a KTM 50SX a couple years ago and it was a maintenance nightmare. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jasle said:
I think the ktm65 would be a better choice of the two. it has tons more bottom end torque and the suspension is plush. Its also taller and will fit the 10 year old better.
QUOTE]

I agree with Jasle.

We ran both the KX and the KTM when my grandson rode the 65 class and the KTM proved to be the better machine.

Problems we had with the KX were broken frames and weak bottom end. Had to do many bigend bearings.

The parts are much more expensive for the KTM's but they seem to last a lot longer.

Just my $ .02

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Our '03 SX65 has been bullet proof in two years of trail riding. It has decent bottom end for a 65 MX bike and the hydraulic clutch makes a world of difference while learning and later when the trails get tough. I seem to recall that pre-'03 65s weren't nearly as good so you might pose the "are the '01 65SXs any good" over at ktmtalk.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the thing was that in 02 ktm went with the inveted forks and case induction. but overall the motors were still pretty decent in 01. I'd steer away from the 00 and 99. we run an 03 and its better than the 04 and 05 only because of the rear brake. in 04 the rear went to the same rear as the ktm 50 and it lasts for crap. the good thing is you can bolt the 03 setup directly on the 05.

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
We ran a 2001 SX65 a couple of years ago and it was very quick and reliable. Parts are generally very robust but the kickstart is weak. If you get the SX keep your eyes open for a used YZ80 kickstart. They fit straight on. Another benefit of this mod is that the shaft is slightly shorter. Kids that dont have enough height often can't get their legs high enough to get a good swing and fail to start or restart the bike quickly. My lad was no exception - once the YZ80 unit was on he could start it first kick almost every time.
MC

Top Bottom