Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd say they don't need MORE and MAYBE a little less than the average rice bike. Usually if you start with higher quality it will last longer IMO. Now what you may be hearing is guys that LIKE to do more maintenance (like me).

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Yup, I even like to sit on my KTM in the garage and make spodely sounds.
confused.gif

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
Originally posted by mountain rider:
I've heard KTM's our high maintenance bikes. Can anyone comment on this? I'm comparing this bike to Japanese bikes.
Purchased 98 300 MXC used 2 years ago. Replaced 2 rear tires,rear wheel bearings,one spark plug,one set brake pads,one set chain and sprockets,left gas in tank all winter,started on 6th or 7th kick. Trail ridden about 40 hrs per year.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I Shane Watts my KTM, which means I wash it and that's about all. I haven't had any problems thus far in over a year. Sure I have to do some matienence but not a whole lot. It will probably get a new rear tire this year though.

[This message has been edited by IDkTm (edited 03-22-2001).]

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
sure, shane's a pretty good rider & all that, but look at the great bike he rides--a stock ktm 200! no wonder the man wins!

and no, they aren't high maintenance, i'd say easier than most. no linkage to grease, side-access, toolless air box, hi-quality fasteners, etc.

NH KTM #313

Mar 11, 2001
hi maint ??? yea right

bone stock they are the best
you crash thats your fault not ktm fault

rear tires thats normal if you ride
levers if they break you did it

plugs 2 a year

gas quality and octane mine doesnt care
you can tell a little if you get too much bad

never a prob the best best best

top end rock solid 400+ miles

change the oil keep the filter clean
tuck her in a night and talk nice to her
she will be your best friend

ktm's are that easy

but you know even if you yell at her all day cause you suck at riding
she will start for you the next morning

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
NO !! Everything on the bikes is higher quality than rice bike stuff...better chain and sprocket =less adjustment ...better bar =less straigthtening....hydraulic clutch=NO adjustment ...No tool filter access = cleaner filter (in my case )...caged nut on motor mount = easy mounting ...No linkage rear suspension = less greasing=easy shock maintenance ...caped axle nut =clean thread =no axle damage from crash....adjustable handlebar mounting=no costly triple clamp to buy=no bar to change to adjust position ...excentric adjuster blocks=no chain to buy when adding a tooth on sprocket ...and it goes like that for hours....e-mail me for full version .......
wink.gif

please excuse my bad english .....

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Well I must confess I just changed the oil in my 380exc for the first time. OH and IT's an early 2000 .Thrashed hard and put away dirty allot. On the other hand I have one of the first 520exc's in WA. I change the oil after every other ride

KTM's are not a high maintenance bike unless you are comparing them to a 250 XR

P.S. The break in ride for my 520 was pick it up on friday drive for five Hrs race on saturday ISDE (GOLD)

2000 380exc
2000 520exc
so many bikes so little time

gt658

Nov 9, 2000
97 360 exc. Rode hard . A divorce, I need my sanity bike. Washed 6 times rode every weekend plus more. Besides brakes, tires,a chain and spockets, and gas ;one set of rings (March 2001). Not bad...Oh yea, a seat cover too. Did I mention the rode hard part?

Top Bottom