Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Define BETTER.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What does better power mean to YOU? I know what I like but unless you tell us what you've experienced and what you are looking for in SPECIFIC terms you are justing wasting ASCII and are unlikely to get much in the way of useful replies.

vip

Feb 19, 2013
wow. I guess just looking for an opinion.ive rode mostly 2 strokes. am a Honda guy at heart but as we get older that don't matter as much. all bikes have better years and all im asking is in these years what seems to be the better over all bike? like what would you buy? and why?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If all you want is a basic random opinion, here goes.

I've owned a CRF450 since 2002, and have owned a few YZF4xx as well. I've built a bunch of CRF450 engines, as well lots of Yamahas and worked on the cylinder heads of the other Japanese 250s and 450s. For my purposes my likes and dislikes as a rider the Honda 450 IN MY OPINION (and I can't stress that enough) is best all around engine, best chassis, very reliable, and has the best brakes. The Yamahas have proven to be the best in terms of reliability over the years and just really solid bikes overall but with handling characteristics that some just don't care for, the Kawasaki has gotten a LOT better in the last few years but as an engine builder I wouldn't spend my own money on one, and the Suzuki is just a yellow turd unless you are RC or someone of that ilk. Again this is just MY OPINION so no one should get their panties all in a bunch if they love their green bike, or worship at the altar of the rising sun on a yellow background. ;)

Take that for what it's worth (which isn't much really) , because if you are buying used then the quality of the care the bike received prior to you will have far more relevance than some random rider opinions on the internet.

All of the current crop of racing four-strokes (250 & 450) are high rpm, highly stressed RACE ENGINES and need appropriate care and maintenance. Treating them like an XR75, or a 1990's era two-stroke just won't cut it.

Unless you know a lot about the past history of a used modern four-stroke you are buying a potential time bomb, regardless of the color of the tank.

Last edited:

vip

Feb 19, 2013
well that's kinda what I am looking for. from what ive seen the 02 03 crf are to stay away from.i agree the 4 stoke is a time bomb. but hey are also like a tractor. they pull hard not like a 2 stroke the is wot everywhere to get the power. I don't know a hole lot about 4 strokes.so I just looking for what people have to say. dosnt mean ill take what they say and run with it.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
vip said:
well that's kinda what I am looking for. from what ive seen the 02 03 crf are to stay away from.

Nope, that isn't even close to being accurate. If they have been cared for they are excellent.

vip said:
i agree the 4 stoke is a time bomb. but hey are also like a tractor. they pull hard not like a 2 stroke the is wot everywhere to get the power. I don't know a hole lot about 4 strokes.so I just looking for what people have to say. dosnt mean ill take what they say and run with it.

Agreed they are fantastic engines and for a lot of riders they allow you to be faster and have more fun, but they require a more disciplined approach to maintenance that turns a lot of people off.

Top Bottom