autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
just bought a used kx85, rode it a couple times and decided to do a gearbox oil change, kahuna powersports sold me motul transoil expert sae 10w40 gearbox oil, i put 650 ml in the gear box, started it up, let it run...put the clutch in, put it into first and it stalled. went a bought come 80w-90 gear oil, put that it, let it run, clutch in and it didnt stall in 1st gear until about 20 seconds later then it stalled everytime i tried to put it into 1st gear. it had never ever stalld prior to me changing the oil. when i removed that gear oil it had turned a bit bubbly. what is going on here..what oil should i be putting inside of the gearbox! oh btw the oil was red that i removed that the prev owner had put in.
please help! i want to ride my bike asap :bang:

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
It sounds like the clutch basket might be worn, or you may have warped clutch plates. As far as the oil type, most manufacturers say to use 10w-40 motorcycle engine oil in the gear box. These are a few recommended lubricants that I have used in my own bikes; "Belray" Gear Saver 2 stroke trans oil, Honda HP trans. oil, or Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. If you chose a synthetic oil, be sure to read the label on the back of the bottle to make sure it is "wet clutch formulated". One other thing to check is the clutch push lever. They tend to get worn as well, causing incomplete de-clutching.

autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
the clutch push lever is the left handle your talking about? and i just tried atf type f since alot of people reccomend it but still no sucsess. how much am i looking at as of cost for parts?

autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
UPDATE: if i give the bike a tiny bit of gas before i put it into gear it will work but when i ride and put it back into first gear with thclutch on it will stall ater about 20 sec. also i just did a 32:1 gas mix and now when i lift the choke the bike stalls. please help

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
The push lever I am refereing to, is what the other end of the clutch cable is connected to. It may be worn were it pushes on the clutch to disengage it. How does it run when it is in neutral ? When it is in gear with the clutch pulled in, does it try to creep forward ? I don't recommend using ATF in your trans, because it has too much detergent in it and it may foam up. As far as pricing goes, the best thing to do is call up your local Kawasaki dealer, ask for a price on a clutch plate kit, a clutch cover gasket, and a push lever assembly. 32:1 is the proper mix. You can go 40:1 depending on your jetting. Make sure the fuel you are using is fresh and of the highest octane rating available to you in your area. Don't use E-85 !! If you are mechanically competent enough, you should be able to make the repairs yourself, as they are fairly simple. The most expensive parts would be the clutch basket, and inner clutch hub if they are needed.

autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
well when its in 1st gear with the clutch in i have to keep slightly reving the bike or it will stall out, i hear alot of people are happy using atf but i may change it out next oil change, as for gas im usuing one the cheaper ones cause it was the only gas i had at the time. i can get 94 next time though

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
If I am understanding your problem correctly, it sounds like it is definitely clutch issues that are causing your problem. I would take the clutch side case cover off and have a look at things. If the basket and inner hub are badly grooved were they engage with the plates, the basket and hub will need to be replaced. Check the push lever as I suggested, make sure it is not worn. If everything looks ok, replace the clutch plates. They are most likely warped and causing clutch drag which will make the bike hard to shift or find neutral, and can cause the low speed stalling you are refereing to.

autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
I'll take a look at it and see if I notice anything. What am I looking for when I inspect the push leaver? What area will have wear? And yes that's exactly the problem, stalls when putting it into first (it'll go if I give it a small rev), hard to change from 1st-2nd sometimes and hard to find neutral while the bike is running.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
You want to look for any signs of wear at the point where the push lever pulls on the small shaft in the center of the pressure plate. If you do continue to ride the bike like this, it could damage the transmission gears, and shift forks.

autoc-o1

Jul 28, 2012
The small shaft being the one On the top of the gearbox? And will I be looking for internal or external signs of wear on the Push lever, btw thanks for your time and effort, I'm new to bikes and trying to figure out part names etc

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
The wear will be internal. You will have to pull the push lever shaft out of the case cover to inspect it. The wear will be pretty obvious. You're welcome, I don't mind helping fellow riders out when I can !! Where about are you from if you don't mind me asking ?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Well I am about 4 hours south of you in Belle River, Ontario. Let me know how you make out and what you find. Heck if you weren't so far from me, you could bring it over and we'd both take a look at it lol !!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom