mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
My nephews '91 KX125 was running fine all day when it just quit running. We were almost all the way home when the thing stopped running and we couldn't get it started again. Went home, got my truck and picked up the bike.

Took the plug out and it looked great. Tried to start it again and nothing. Took the plug out again and noticed that it was completey dry... no fuel on it whatsoever. Took carb off and it seemed fine. Put it back on, turned gas back on and it wouldn't start. Removed the plug again and no fuel on it at all but fuel was coming out of carb overflow.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? If there is a compression leak somewhere (seals or gaskets) would that hinder fuel from enterig the cylinder? Would appreciate any and all advice

Thnax.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
You checked all the obvious except.....any gas in the tank? Guessing you checked this, the only two things I can think of is the main got plugged up (sounds like you already check this), or maybe something of a compression leak in the cylinder not giving it enough vaccuum to draw in fuel?? Strange.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Check your spark first, does it still have compression? if it does it should suck gas in. I would take the carb off and check the jets, make sure nothing is clogged up.a clogged pilot jet can make it real hard to start.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
mobrown said:
Removed the plug again and no fuel on it at all but fuel was coming out of carb overflow.

The fact that fuel is coming from the carb overflow suggests that you got a chunk/chunks of something in the carb. If I were you I'd pull the carb off, completely dissassemble it, and blow through all the little passageways with compressed air.

Before you put the carb back in, recheck and make sure that fuel is coming out of the fuel line (I once checked for fuel at the petcock, it worked great, but the fuel line was melted shut...). You might run some fuel onto a flat surface or into a clear container to check for water in the fuel. I don't know if water will completely stop fuel flow, but I've heard of a drop of water clogging the main jet,killing or siezing the bike.

Top Bottom