kx250 03 /how much fly wheel weight for off road racen !!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I use my '03 KX250 in enduros. I do almost all of the ECEA and some SETRA runs. I put a 11ounce weight on my bike but it didn't make a whole lot of difference, not like it did on my CR. I like it. It could be a little bit of a problem in really technical rock sections, but I love it down here in the sand. At 11ounces, the only thing noticeable about the flywheel weight on this bike is it's less inclined to stall, that's it. Doesn't make a really noticeable difference in the snappy throttle response at all. What was a big help was the going to a 51th rear sprocket instead of the stock 49th. Puts the power right where you need it.

bgdawg

Sep 7, 2000
thanks put a 9 ounce on for the race this week end in carolinas setra , thanks guys and gals , stearing dampner needed or not ??
got bike wed. so jus haven't had time to play yet haha!!

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I was gonna come down and race that SETRA run, but my cash is tight and I have a choice between suspension work or S.C. enduro. I chose to have my suspension revalved and have a different spring put in the forks.
The reason I say a 11ounce flywheel weight on my bike may be a problem in technical rock sections is because the 11 ounce weight doesn't create much drag on this motor. On my CR the 11ounces was noticeable, but on this bike it really didn't loose any snap. Trying to scale slime infested rock faces in the Appalachian mountians require extremely smooth uninterupted power delivery. This '03 KX has a tractor of a engine, but once you step over a certain rpm, even with the fly wheel weight, it explodes! Which is awesome down here in the sand, but bad news at the end of a long and tiring rock run when your throttle control is as good as it was at the start. I proabaly won't have a problem with it but I can see where it could be a problem for some people.
I love steering dampners, but I've been riding it without and it is pretty stable. Not YZ stable, but more stable then any CR I've ridden. Not as twitchy as a CR but handles better. Very little head shake, too. Besides, I use WER and I don't think they have a adapter plate for it yet. Put a 51th sprocket on the rear. Made a huge difference! Stock 49 tooth had me searchin' for the hit. 51 tooth fixed that.
I 100% plan to be at Sandlapper and the Setra enduro in February (can't remember the name of it). Sad to say it, I have no choice this year but to miss the Daytona Enduro. That is one of my favorites (besides SandyLane,ECEA and Greenbrier, ECEA). Maybe I'll see ya at a SETRA run!

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
lissa, you have sure been helpful since you actual own hopped up bikes.
sounds like if someone is going to buy a fly weight, they may as well go heavy with it, like maybe 13 oz or more.... lissa, do you think the new rm250 has a tractable power band with a sneaky hit like the kx?

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
Actually the RM is a over-rev machine like a CR with what I feel is a broader power range then what the CR offers. The RM doesn't hit as soon as the KX, though.
I like the 11 ounce weight. It's a good combination all around. I think a 13 ounce weight would be the ticket for strict rock riders. The motor on this bike IMO is one of the best off-road motors (enduros) I've ridden. The bike it's self is a well rounded package of handling and stability. Some bikes may out shine in one area or another over the KX, but the bike is a great bike. My CR is a good bike too, but my riding style suits the KX better. The '02 YZ250 that my boyfriend has that I've spent quite a bit of time on is a awesome rocks bike. Extremely stable and smooth power delivery even without a flywheel weight! I can't stand it down here in the sand though. It turns slower then what I'm used to and feels long. The KX carves like a CR (IMO better) and is still very stable like a YZ. I can't complain. I'm just lucky that I got the chance to spend some seat time on quite a few bikes before I made a choice to buy one. Usually all a person can get is the showroom test ride.

m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
Does the KX250 2002 has the same effect with the 11oz flywheel ?

I race HS tight trails and was wondering what weight should I use ?

I was going for the 11 oz. !! I hope my choice will be good !!

Marty

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I would add 10 ounces to anything. At least 10 to be more exact. I added a zip typ brand to my YZ 250. Anything less than 10 oz would be impossible to tell the difference.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
My friend that competes in Enduros too has a '02 KX250 with the 9 ounce flywheel weight. When I questioned him on what he felt was a good choice for my bike he said that the 9 ounce wasn't quite enough and he should have purchased a bigger one. This is coming from a AA rider so I'll take his word for it since he has ridden Kawi's for a while. Like I said before, 'in the sand, no problem; in a tough technical rock section, it could be a bit tiring to deal with.'

m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
I just purchased the 11oz flywheel, my dealer had the flywheel stock.

Nice because, I was able to negociate a bit !!

From the comment I had, I think I made the right choice !!

Thanks all the help !

KX250 2002 Still brand new !

bgdawg

Sep 7, 2000
Thanks guys , and gals , went with the 9oz. gasgas flywheel i had left over ! Put taller seat on it and had front and rear shock revalved and changed the oil in forks! Have rode many dirt bikes over the past 8 yrs . And its really nice to pull one off the show room floor and do jus a lil to it and be so happy with it!!
First 8 miles of setra run was bad , lol since i had no time to ride before the event !!
The brake was high fixed it!!
The bike kept stallin because it was idealed so low it kept going dead!!
Reset the sag and bang was back in contention for that sra class!!! They beat me 4 min first 8 miles after that i tied the leader and then in the last 3 sections i beat them all but pulled a 4th
because of the poor start !! Thanks for the advise!! see yall in sumpter this first week end in feb!!

Top Bottom