KX250 2006 compared to YZ250 2006???

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I have two friends, Paul and Vaughn with KX250's, Paul used to be a YZ man and I have another friend, Dave that currently rides a YZ.

Paul has a 2005 KX and went riding with a guy that just bough a 2006 YZ, he said he wasn't impressed with the YZ, he took a turn on it and rode it for quite awhile. When he ask his mate if he wanted his bike back the other guys just said carry on and continued to ride Paul's KX. Dave has ridden both Vaughn’s and Paul KX and said that if he was looking to by a bike he would consider the KX. Vaughn says every time he rides someone else’s bike he realizes how happy he is with his.

They all agree that the KX feels lighter, turns quicker, yet feels stable at high speed and the motor feels just as strong although Paul did say he thought that the YZ felt only slightly stronger at the bottom, but wasn't as good everywhere else.

Are there any others out there that have experienced this?

I have a KDX200 2005 and I am considering a 250 2006 and want to make sure I am looking it the right place, the Green Corner. The funny thing is here in South Africa you will pay R56 500 ($8 308) for a YZ250 and R47 000 ($6 911) for the KX. From what my friends say we can't see why the YZ is so expensive, as the KX is equally good, if not better.

Opinions Please, Thanks

SADude

Feb 17, 2005
Sure. I had this experiance!

I had it the day i brought my 06 yz250 home.

The problem is out the box the YZ is set up very stupid. For some reason out the box it has the forks all the way down in the clamps (flush with the caps) which provides a very chopper feel and makes it corner like crap. Also the clicker settings are way out of whack. The bike suspension, fork height, oil height and sag needs to be tuned well before the bike shows how bad ass it is.

After I spent 3 days tuning in the bike and another 2 weeks fine tuning even that.... I can say the YZ is all its raved about. It turns really sharp, yet it can take it wide... has the ability to be very predictable lap after lap and taking the same line every lap is never a problem. Also the rear end grabs, hooks and snags through the nastiest stuff, and doesnt kick when heavy on the brakes. And I wont say anything about the engine except WOW!

On my first race with my new 2006YZ250 (after all the tuning) I took the hole shot in the first heat and lead to the finish with a 1st place finish... on the second heat I grabbed the hole shot again and led the race up untill the second to the last lap when I high sided a jump and handed the win over to the guy behind me.

I walked away after that race amazed at how race ready the 06 YZ was and how it was such a potent weapon. I never raced a stock bike that was that awesume. To be honist, I wont be modifing anything anytime soon... but if I was it would be to make the forks just a tad smoother through the small stuff while keeping the same overall firmness.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The price difference is so huge where you live, at that price even if I would prefer the YZ, I would buy the KX and put the money I saved elsewhere.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I'd have to agree with the $ savings.
Even if I was a YZ nut (which I am), that is a lot of money saved.

They are both amazing bikes out of the box.

BubZ

Jul 28, 2005
I have an 05 KX250 and my riding buddy has an 06 YZ 250. We recently did some serious riding in the West Virginia mountains and did the bike switch thing.

I'd have to say I wouldn't be disappointed with either bike. His YZ was great but I do prefer my KX. Maybe because I am used to it, but seems to have more exciting characteristics. I guess it was just more fun to ride. Plus I found the suspension on my bike to be better all around. I was definitely able to ride the KX faster with less stress. But the YZ really didn't have any flaws that held me back. The suspension was a bit rougher, but otherwise great bike. For the money, I would buy the KX again in a minute.

BubZ :laugh: :laugh:

Feb 17, 2005
Although all the 05 and 06 bikes are very good... the less maintance and longer life of a aluminum frame is enough to push me over the edge and cough up the extra buck for the YZ.

I was really on the fence between the RM and YZ when i was shopping, but in the end I went with the bike that had the Aluminum frame.

Just tired or painting frames and welding cracks. No matter how well you treat a steel frame, they eventually rust from the inside out and then crack.

Last edited:

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
The Aluminum Frame is tempting, but money talks. Some frame guards, some anti rust sprayed inside the frame and all should be okay. Plus I do 95% trail/enduro riding, so I would think that cracks in the frame wouldn't be to much of an issue.

I agree that they are both great bikes and I guess it all comes down to what you are comfortable on and the kind of back up you are going to get from the dealers. Here in South Africa both Kawasaki and Yamaha are well supported and you see more green and blue bikes than anything else, the only thing that comes close are the KTM's, but they are even more expensive ($ 9411).

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
I rode a thumper for three years and then went back to the 2-stroke in December of 04. The 05 YZ is an incredible bike. The 06 is even better. Even now that I have about 60-70 hrs on the bike, it still impresses me each time I ride it.

Top Bottom