duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
KX250... Could the druggy be right? EDIT: FIXED.

Hey guys,
Picked up a 92 KX250 for $550 yesterday... Needs a bit of work plus an unknown amount of additional work. Bought it from a druggy who probably wanted a fix (pretty normal for eastern KY... LOL) but the VIN does not come back as stolen and in spite of his claims that the bike needed "less than $100" of work to make it perfect I went there knowing what I was getting into... He claimed the coil was bad and that was why it wouldn't run... I kind of doubted this story and was planning to clean the carb, replace gear oil and coolant, new chain and sproket, new back tire, new rear wheel bearings, a fresh top end and give it a try... I got to thinking I might as well check for spark so that if it does need a coil I can get it in my parts order. I checked it and it read .5 ohm on the primary and about 8K on the secondary... I am thinking the secondary should be way higher? The thing is not producing a spark at all near as I can tell... Would a 8K secondary resistnce cause this?

I'm thinking the druggy may have been right at least about that part... Worth replacing even though I'm on a tight budget or is there something else I can try?

Thanks.

EDIT: Problem solved. Google, after some prodding revealed tht .5 ohm and 8000 ohm re close to correct values. A further test with benchtop power supply showed it to be working perfectly. I will leave this up in case someone else hs the same issue.

Last edited:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Sound like the magneto or coil I would get him down less personally,not knowing how much money you could burn??I had 1993 Kx250 !good bike heaps of low end power!!If he's a druggy the ball is in your court.Give him 400 cash he will take it trust me!

Top Bottom