ozspode

Dec 13, 2001
Hi all,
It is time to upgrade my 10yr old from his jr80 to something a little more potent. Can anyone give me the pro's and cons of both the kx65 and the 65sx?. I really like the look of the sx and ride a 400exc myself, which I have been very happy with. I have heard some talk of the KTM minis being a little unreleiable. Is this true? I tried him out on an '01 yz80 today, but it was too tall for him and a little too potent. Any info would br much appreciated.
GUY

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I don't have experience with either one, but the KTM is bigger than the kx 65 even the new 02 model (which was made taller) the 02 KTM is sweet I see alot of them out at the track. I've seen more new '02 sx's than I have the new kx's. kids I saw last year on kx's now have the sx, I heard real main differences is its bigger and is more powerful and stronger than the kx. Don't get one any older than a 2000 something about the 98 99's having funky tranny problems on the sx that is. The whole reason the kx 65 exists is cause of the sx 65. I think its kewl how the '02 sx has inverted forks and a hydrualic clutch.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I went with the KX65 because it is PLENTY fast, and a few friends, who are die-hard KTM guys, told me about their troubles with the minis. When they said they'd go KX, I listened.

Haven't had any problems, either. Very happy with it.

dog

Oct 4, 2000
I just bought a KX65 for my son. I went through the same questions you have. I have also owned KTM 50's SXR PRO Junior. The KTM wasn't unreliable, but there are a lot of short cuts in quality in my 98 KTM 50.

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that the KX 65 was best for us. For EXPERT/PRO motorcross racers who are on the large size, the KTM 65 would be the better choice. The KTM is an expert level race bike.

The KX 65 is a little smaller, a little softer suspension, and a little smoother. The reliability is also excellent. It think the KX65 is better for trail riding, and novice to intermediate MX. The KX can be modified to compete at the expert level with suspension and pipe mods, but if the kid is that heavy and that fast it would be better to buy the KTM.

I think that is why you see kids move up from the KX to the KTM. The first 1-2 years in the 65 class they are better on the KX. IF they are larger, and become expert riders, they can handle the KTM.

I think the KTM is a great bike for a few experts. It is also more expensive and maybe a little less reliable. I paid $700 less for the KX65 than I was quoted for the KTM, and the dealers couldn't get the KTM anyway.

I have been very happy with our 2002 KX65. We mostly trail ride, but will be racing on it some as well. The quality is good, and people I have talked to find them reliable. It has plenty of power, good brakes, and suspension works good for the average rider.

Bottom line, they are both great bikes, but the "best" depends on the what type of rider.

Top Bottom